Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Sub blown? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 03:55 PM

Sub blown? Please help!

Ok, here's the deal. I have bose system, two Rockford Fosgate 12's and big amp (I can't think of the name) Anyways, I noticed a major drop in bass the other day so I got out and checked things out. One of my subs is not hitting at all and the other hits just fine. I checked the connection at the amp, box, inside box at speaker connection. It's a dual ohm or whatever it's called, where the box wires hook up to the sub and then two wires run from one side of the sub to the other. Anyways, I checked all these connections and one was unhooked. I hooked it back up and nothing. I'm pretty sure it's hooked up right as it was once working and now it not, and only one plug was out. Is the sub blown? Wouldn't it still hit a little but sound like crap if it was blown? I plan on hooking up my JLw3 I have sitting around to see it that will work. (not that I plan on running one JL and one Rockford) Just looking for some ideas. By the way I also have two 30 fuses in the amp. I switched those around to see if it would affect anything, it did not. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks. Sorry so long, just trying to be specific.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:57 PM

Yea,"sounds" like its blown. However...if you're planning to run 2 different subs from the same amp and box, your impedence is going to vary on each sub.

One sub will hit hard while the other hits softer. Get 2 of the SAME subs!
Old 08-06-2003, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Method Max
Yea,"sounds" like its blown. However...if you're planning to run 2 different subs from the same amp and box, your impedence is going to vary on each sub.

One sub will hit hard while the other hits softer. Get 2 of the SAME subs!
NO, I'm not planning on running two different subs, I was going to hook the JL just to test the wires, you know so if it works its definately the sub and not the wires or connection. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:46 PM

Ohh, word. Yea wires usually never go out unless they're cut or melted. It's most likely the sub
Old 08-06-2003, 08:01 PM

to test if all the connections inside the box are intact (in case a voice coil snapped or something), you can use a multimeter to check if the resistance at the "box wires" is correct.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Parsec
to test if all the connections inside the box are intact (in case a voice coil snapped or something), you can use a multimeter to check if the resistance at the "box wires" is correct.
Swweeeeet! That's a little over my head though. I'm going to have to just try hooking up another sub. Thanks for the input, I'm just not electronically gifted. I'll figure something out.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:18 PM

yea, your Ohms are going to be WAY different on a multimeter when testing if you have a blown sub.

Ohms and impedence are very hard to explain (in typing)....but - you might could just take it to a audio place and have them test the impedence. Then you'll surely know.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. I figured out finally it was the one connection on the amp I forgot to check. Anyways, I do appreciate it.