Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Opinions on door speakers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 10:37 PM
Way out West

Opinions on door speakers.

I am getting new speakers for the front of my 92 Max. I would like some additional input as to what I should get. My wife says my budget is no more than $150.

I have found a set of new Diamond Audio 6.5 coaxials for $119 (www.onlinecarstereo.com) and I have been considering Infinity seperates or maybe a lower level Alpine seperate. This isn't going to be anything too over the top, because my Max is my work car.

I have heard great things about Diamond Audio, but I am not a big fan of coaxial speakers.

I want more input from you guys, the experts.

BTW, I have an older Phoenix Gold M44 Amp that will be powering my system. It's older, but it's virtually brand new. Very clean power.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-17-2003, 12:38 AM

i suggest you use components for your front sound stage. i have alpine components in front and alpine coax in rear. sounds great. btw, love those old phoenix gold amps....memories.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:30 AM

Re: Opinions on door speakers.

Originally posted by Red92MaxSE
I am getting new speakers for the front of my 92 Max. I would like some additional input as to what I should get. My wife says my budget is no more than $150.

I have found a set of new Diamond Audio 6.5 coaxials for $119 (www.onlinecarstereo.com) and I have been considering Infinity seperates or maybe a lower level Alpine seperate. This isn't going to be anything too over the top, because my Max is my work car.

I have heard great things about Diamond Audio, but I am not a big fan of coaxial speakers.

BTW, I have an older Phoenix Gold M44 Amp that will be powering my system. It's older, but it's virtually brand new. Very clean power.

That's one heck of an amp you have there. Whichever of the aforementioned sets you decide on, the amp's true potential will be lost.

There's some really good coaxials out there that can sound as good as or better than some of the lower-level separates. And even though I'm a Diamond Audio fan, a $119 set of coaxials is exactly that...a $119 set of coaxials. I'd step up to separates, but make sure you audition them first.

Tony
Old 08-17-2003, 01:16 PM
Way out West

I know I have more amp than I can afford speakers for. I used to run MB quart seperates in the front and soundstream reference subs off the amp and it would hardly get warm. I still have some quart QM130KX 5" speakers that I am using for rear fill. This is pretty old gear I am talking about. My hands are kind of tied, since my wife isn't a big fan of car stereo stuff. I know exactly what I would be getting if my pockets were deep.

That's why I was trying to get some help with getting the best bang for my buck.

thanks
Old 08-18-2003, 12:00 AM

dam, not you bring up the quarts? i used to have the mb quart 3 way component set in my eclipse when i was a hardcore mobile audio fan. ended up selling them when i sold my eclipse. still miss them. and i actually used to have the same m44 phoenix gold amp you have too. i think it may still be in my attic somewhere......
Old 08-18-2003, 10:26 AM
You will lose

Smack my B!TCH up, and spend WHATEVER you feel like. Untuck the tail from your legs and go get a good set of separates. You will only have to do it once if you do it right. But if you want to keep the little lady on your side, just get some coaxials, and a dozen roses for $150.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by TAPOUT
Smack my B!TCH up, and spend WHATEVER you feel like. Untuck the tail from your legs and go get a good set of separates. You will only have to do it once if you do it right. But if you want to keep the little lady on your side, just get some coaxials, and a dozen roses for $150.

i wasn't going to say anything but........
Old 08-18-2003, 01:18 PM
Way out West

My wife can kick my ***. She could probably kick your ***, too.

The MB Quartz I have are like eight years old. I guarantee they wouldn't last more than a month as my primary speakers. Actually, if you want them, I'll sell them or trade them for good 6x9s, then I won't have to build a bracket for the 5" speakers in the back. They are MB QUART QM130KX. If you look them up, they say coaxials, but really they are seperates with the tweeter permanently attached to a post. They have inline crossovers, too. They are I think one step down from the top of the line back when I got them.

I think I am going to get Alpine Type R 6.5" seperates for my Max. Nobody can seem to help me come up with something better in the price range I am looking at.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:58 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Re: Opinions on door speakers.

Keep in mind that most of the better brands are not allowed to be sold online. Especially DA from Onlinecarstereo.com. Here is the letter received from DA direct about them:

Don,

Thank you for the email.

We are aware of onlinecarstereo.com, and have been trying to figure out where they get the product. So you are very correct in saying, “this is wrong”, we do not Authorizes ANY on line selling of our product.

Again, thank you for your support.

Best Regards,

Kaye Taylor

Diamond Audio Technology, Inc.

--Don
Old 08-18-2003, 03:33 PM

I think I am going to get Alpine Type R 6.5" seperates for my Max. Nobody can seem to help me come up with something better in the price range I am looking at.
Sorry..

I've heard many middle-of-the-road installs with the Alpine separates. They sound pretty decent for causual listening in my opinion. They should make you happy unless you start to do some critical listening, in which case you will want to replace them.

If for some reason you decide to go coaxial, I would recommend Focals. I believe I purchased a set of 6.5s for around $150. They far outperform even some moderately costly separates. I have been using them for about a year now. They were supposedly only going to be in my car on a temporary basis until I could put my Dynaudios back in the doors. Then I bought a house...

Tony
Old 08-18-2003, 05:35 PM
Way out West

See, now you are HELPING me.

Thanks PearlMax for that info. I will definitely NOT be buying those speakers from onlinecarstereo.com
Old 08-18-2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by TAPOUT

My wife can kick my ***.
Bah!