Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

BOSE Head Unit Display (On & Off periodically)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 11:44 AM

BOSE Head Unit Display (On & Off periodically)

Problem with my BOSE Head Unit...it still plays CDs and radio stations but the display periodically turns on and off fading during the process. Is there a possibility that the bulb inside is loose? I'm not sure if I need to replace the bulb because when the display is on, it's still pretty bright. Or is this something more serious? I doubt it...is taking the head unit out difficult? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mine has the same problem, I don't know why i just wanna let you know your not the only one! It tends to work most often in the rain, for some odd reason.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:18 PM

and if you find a way to fix it let us all no...it drives me up a wall...it makes finding a certain song on a cd harder.
thanks
brandon
Old 09-10-2003, 06:52 PM

I'm having the same problem. Only, in addition to that special little problem, more often then not it completely stops playing! It's VERY obnoxious! There's definitely something wrong electrically! I'm going to take the stereo out and see if perhaps there is something loose or the fuse on the back of the stereo needs to be replaced.

At this point I'm willing to try anything. I'm rather ****ed about the whole situation.

~~
John
'95 Maxima
Old 09-10-2003, 08:00 PM

mine did the same thing before it quit on me. the display would go off and i would beat the hell out of the dash and it would come back on. only to go off again. after a while i started getting err on the display from time to time while trying to play cd's. in short, it's time to get rid of the sh!tty bose and replace it all. should be fun. mine was.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:11 PM

Problem fixed

I had the problem fixed...but the solution isn't something that just anybody can do. After basically ripping the whole center of my car apart to take out the headunit, me and a friend took the BOSE headunit apart and took the front panel of the BOSE out to see what was going on. There is actually no bulb for the display, which makes sense, since we found out that the whole display is on a circuit board. Well, I had my friend look at the circuits because he has repaired Maxima and Infiniti radios many times before because that's all he owns. He told me that he had to solder some connections together more strongly because it was weak in the first place which explains the on/off display during odd times. He told me that the machines that put these radios together might've not solder enough for that connection.

Well, I don't know if that helped at all...but it permanently fixed my problem and it's been back to normal since. But through the process of taking everything apart, I messed up my Auto Climate control bulbs and have to replace them. Must've shook the thing too hard or something, the bulbs are tiny with blue covers that cost me $6.36 each from the dealer. So if you ever take the whole center out, be careful =)
Old 12-16-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by blackhawk
I had the problem fixed...but the solution isn't something that just anybody can do. After basically ripping the whole center of my car apart to take out the headunit, me and a friend took the BOSE headunit apart and took the front panel of the BOSE out to see what was going on. There is actually no bulb for the display, which makes sense, since we found out that the whole display is on a circuit board. Well, I had my friend look at the circuits because he has repaired Maxima and Infiniti radios many times before because that's all he owns. He told me that he had to solder some connections together more strongly because it was weak in the first place which explains the on/off display during odd times. He told me that the machines that put these radios together might've not solder enough for that connection.

Well, I don't know if that helped at all...but it permanently fixed my problem and it's been back to normal since.
Here's to reviving an old thread, just wanted to thanks the author. I was at a loss after my display went out, shortly after a rendez-vous with my fist. Even after taking it apart and not finding anything loose, I gave up. Today, I re-soldered all connections, and... voila! New display! Props, my friend. But yes, have some solder practice first. It was a bit tedious.

Cheers,