Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

factory keyless entry install...please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 08:56 AM

factory keyless entry install...please help

Hello.....I really need some help installing the factory keyless entry. I have a 99 maxima se-l that doesn't have keyless entry. I have purchased all the parts: 2 remotes, 2 receiver boxes(I bought 2 in case one was bad), 1 relay for in the trunk, 1 electric trunk popper, and one button for the trunk popper. I have installed everything and tried to program it but my hazards won't flash or anything. Am I missing a part? does the computer need to be reprogramed? is there a jumper I don't know about somewhere? please help.....

dave
Old 09-26-2003, 08:11 AM

does anybody know anything about the factory keyless entry???? I guess not
Old 09-26-2003, 12:31 PM

If your car is an Se it had remote entry from the factory. All you may need to do is just program the new remote(s). I don t know why the 4 way doesnt flash.You may do something wrong. Make sure that you enter the key within 10 sec for 6 times.Good luck and let us know if you need any help. Paul
Old 09-29-2003, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by astil
If your car is an Se it had remote entry from the factory. All you may need to do is just program the new remote(s). I don t know why the 4 way doesnt flash.You may do something wrong. Make sure that you enter the key within 10 sec for 6 times.Good luck and let us know if you need any help. Paul
my max is one of those 99.5 se's that came with the se-l symbol on the side even if it came completely stripped. I can tell you that it didn't come with keyless entry I had to buy it and install all the parts myself. I not trying to be a jerk or anything but you can trust me, I have tried the 6 times in 10 seconds thing and nothing is happening. I even had a mechanic that worked for nissan that I know try it and he couldn't get it too work. He doesn't currently work for nissan or I would have had him take the car in to do it himself. He said that he has never installed a factory system in a car that didn't already have it. He believes it's a jumper that has to be installed, switched, or taken out or something. He said it may have to be reprogramed(the computer that is) but I just wanted to know if anyone here knew for sure so that I don't have to spend all kinds of money on something as silly as a plug, fuse, jumper, or something I can do in my driveway. Anyway please help me I'm a poor college student who just bought his car and has a loan....I need all the money I can get......
Old 09-29-2003, 07:07 AM

I'm curious too, as mine didn't come with the keyless entry feature either. How much did the parts cost you all up and how easy was it to install?
Old 09-29-2003, 07:18 AM

ok Evad...I had a situation almost like yours :My car was a 99 GXE with the 5 sp. and it didnt come with the keyless from the factory. I also bought the module that goes in the trunk ,hoping that I ll be able to do the whole thing myself. I found out that my car was not wired for the keyless.Other words,even the plug for the module was there, it wasnt 100 % ready for it. The antenna wire (and antenna) was missing- is the wire that connects to the square connector,with 1 wire in the center. I researched into the whole matter. The red wire (if I remember the color right) doesn t get any power. I tried to find the reason ,so I realized that the wire DOES NOT go to the front. The wires are connected in sections . Because I didn t know WHERE to connect the wire even if I run it up front,I decided that it may get too costly and complicated and cancelled the project. I had no antenna wire , the power was not there .I could run the wire to the front of the car,but had no ideea where it should be connected. I really wish that I could help you ,but so far all I showed here why I didn t finish my project...
Old 09-29-2003, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Matt_NZ
I'm curious too, as mine didn't come with the keyless entry feature either. How much did the parts cost you all up and how easy was it to install?
actually all the parts totaled about 150-200...I bought them all out of a junk yard....also I have an extra receiver box for the trunk...they retail at 486 list...if you're interested PM me and let me know. Now the thing is installing all the parts is really easy....it's getting it to work that's giving me the problem....it's only a matter of connecting a bunch of connectors to install the parts, but I believe that the computer may have to be reprogramed so that it knows you have the keyless entry feature, but I don't know for sure...(since nobody on maxima.org has a clue about doing this). I'll let you know as soon as I find out. the only other thing is that the antenna for the keyless entry system is supposed to be one of those ones that is on the rear windshield but since I don't have that option I may just attach it to the body or something. good luck

dave
Old 09-29-2003, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by astil
ok Evad...I had a situation almost like yours :My car was a 99 GXE with the 5 sp. and it didnt come with the keyless from the factory. I also bought the module that goes in the trunk ,hoping that I ll be able to do the whole thing myself. I found out that my car was not wired for the keyless.Other words,even the plug for the module was there, it wasnt 100 % ready for it. The antenna wire (and antenna) was missing- is the wire that connects to the square connector,with 1 wire in the center. I researched into the whole matter. The red wire (if I remember the color right) doesn t get any power. I tried to find the reason ,so I realized that the wire DOES NOT go to the front. The wires are connected in sections . Because I didn t know WHERE to connect the wire even if I run it up front,I decided that it may get too costly and complicated and cancelled the project. I had no antenna wire , the power was not there .I could run the wire to the front of the car,but had no ideea where it should be connected. I really wish that I could help you ,but so far all I showed here why I didn t finish my project...
great...thank you very much...now I'm gonna go out to my car a try and figure out where it isn't connected.....maybe I'll be able to just run a wire to the battery and put the fuse in there....the red wire should be battery power.....I'll let everyone know if I can figure this out...maybe I'll be able to get it to work tonight...thanks again

dave
Old 09-29-2003, 08:25 AM

was a good idea except I have power going to the receiver box and everything.....I'm getting so frustrated with this I'm gonna freak.....thanks anyway everyone but I think it's impossible.....
Old 09-29-2003, 08:54 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Why not just go aftermarket? I do the keyless entry systems for around 100-150 installed.

-_Don
Old 09-29-2003, 09:01 AM

ok...Follow the wiring starting from the module connector. Follow the wiring ...is going to go by the location of the trunk relay,then will travel to the driverside .There I think is the first connector. Make sure that if there are 5 wires going in ,there are 5 wires going out. There may be the point where the red or pink one goes in ,but nothing comes out. I don t have the same car (got a 95 Se with keyless ) but maybe we ll figure it out. Let me know what you ve got,then I ll compare it with my car. Do you have the grey antenna connector and the antenna wire in the trunk ? Not sure if I ll be able to check the wiring today,because Im at work.
It may be a bad ideea to run the battery to the connector. Under normal circumstances,it may come out of other module. Be careful what you do. I ll try to help you here, so don t hold me responsible if you damage something.
Other member asked me how much were the parts. For example,I sold my trunk module and a remote entry for $ 30. To bad that it didn t work for my for my previous 99 GXE.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:29 AM

okay...I tested the wires that go to the connector....If I install all the parts and connect the pink wire to the truck release wire(purple/yellow stripe) the trunk popper pops...then I tested the pink wire...it has power...then I tested the red/black stripe...it has some power. After I tested all these wires I followed the red/black striped wire all the way into the door, to the controls...It has the same power there that it reads in the trunk....after doing all this I believe I have come up with a solution....The BCM doesn't realize I have the keyless entry intalled in my car so when I put the key in and out to try and program the remotes the car doesn't realize I have it all installed. Now saying this I believe that I can take my car into a nissan dealership and have them either update my computer or BCM or they can tell me what I still need or need to do. Although I believe all I need in a computer update, so while I'm there I may get my computer updated to advance the timing.....thanks everyone for your help, if I've made a mistake please let me know, and I will post a reply about how I got it to work as soon as I go to the nissan dealership.....

dave