Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

input on mounting an amp in my trunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 12:54 PM
Way out West

input on mounting an amp in my trunk

I have a large amp and I want to mount it in my trunk in a manner that still allows me to use most of the trunk. My sub is a JL 10w3 and I planned on mounting it between the rear wheel wells.

I was thinking of building a rack vertically (mounting the amp sideways) against the LH wall. Does anyone have better ideas or more info? Mabye some photos?

BTW -- my amp is a 4 channel Phoenix Gold M44 that is going to be used to run my Diamond Audio front speakers, too.

input would be appreciated
Old 09-26-2003, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
I have a large amp and I want to mount it in my trunk in a manner that still allows me to use most of the trunk. My sub is a JL 10w3 and I planned on mounting it between the rear wheel wells.

I was thinking of building a rack vertically (mounting the amp sideways) against the LH wall. Does anyone have better ideas or more info? Mabye some photos?

BTW -- my amp is a 4 channel Phoenix Gold M44 that is going to be used to run my Diamond Audio front speakers, too.

input would be appreciated
How big is the speaker box? Any chance of mounting it directly on there? What's the amps dimensions?

Tony
Old 09-26-2003, 07:02 PM
Way out West

speaker box is too small to mount the amp. Amp is 18" x 10" and about 2" high. My box looks to be maybe just a tad smaller than the one you have. I think the widest dimension is about 16" across.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:35 PM

speaker box is too small to mount the amp. Amp is 18" x 10" and about 2" high. My box looks to be maybe just a tad smaller than the one you have. I think the widest dimension is about 16" across.
Will you still be able to get to the spare tire if the box is mounted between the wheel wells? If so, you can always mount another, larger board to the box and mount the amp to the board. Or how about mounting the amp onto the rear of the back seats? Did you consider under one of the seats, if there's room?

Tony
Old 09-26-2003, 09:59 PM
Way out West

won't quite fit under the seats. That would be my first choice, to save money on wires.

Do you think it would stay cool enough if I made like a "bench" under the box (amp mounted to the floor below the box) with maybe an inch or two above the amp?

back of the seat might work, but it would be mounted sideways and it would be tougher to access (x-overs and gains on the amp).

I wanted to kind of seperate the amp from the box, because I hope to upgrade to possibly two subs or a better sub with a custom enclosure.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:06 PM

won't quite fit under the seats. That would be my first choice, to save money on wires.

Do you think it would stay cool enough if I made like a "bench" under the box (amp mounted to the floor below the box) with maybe an inch or two above the amp?

back of the seat might work, but it would be mounted sideways and it would be tougher to access (x-overs and gains on the amp).

I wanted to kind of seperate the amp from the box, because I hope to upgrade to possibly two subs or a better sub with a custom enclosure.
If the amp has a built-in fan, you would think it would be okay under there. If not, I wouldn't. The M44 is a classic amp...I would hate to screw it up.

Will the amp fit on the back of the trunk wall, facing the front of the car, mounted horizontally?

Tony
Old 09-27-2003, 10:43 PM
Way out West

I found a place to mount it. I have to finish it Monday, as I have stuff to do tomorrow. I'll take pics and put it on my webpage.

It's hard to explain, but there is a perfect spot on the LH side to mount it. I had to remove the carpeting/plastic stuff on the side of the trunk area. It was cracked, anyway. It isn't going to look spectacular, but it gives me more trunk room.

BTW, do you have significantly better sound with the sub in the back corner, or does it sound good behind the seat (facing out) ?

I was going to mount it behind the seat firing away from the cabin, but I might put it similar to yours, except on the other side. It will cover the jack, but I will figure out a way to be sure to get to it in an emergency.

thanks for your help
Old 09-27-2003, 11:17 PM

BTW, do you have significantly better sound with the sub in the back corner, or does it sound good behind the seat (facing out) ?

I was going to mount it behind the seat firing away from the cabin, but I might put it similar to yours, except on the other side. It will cover the jack, but I will figure out a way to be sure to get to it in an emergency.

thanks for your help
The main reason I mounted it there was for trunk space. I'm a firm believer that sub location doesn't matter much in the trunk. Even if I get a little more output by using another location, it doesn't matter much. Most of the time I have my sub turned down to about 2 or 3 out of 10...any more than that and it over-powers the rest of the system. I'm not a bass-head, but I like it to be there when I feel the need.

Waiting for pics...

Tony