Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

? about system setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 12:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

? about system setup

i had a question for all the stereo experts on the board. i currently own a 98 i30, and i wanted to upgrade my sound system. i am going to get a panasonic cq-df903u HU, infinity kappa 60.5cs components that will go in the front, infinity kappa 652.5i 2 ways for the rear deck, and a sony xm-460gtx amp. first of all, i am a noob when it comes to stereos, so any advice on my soon to be setup is appreciated. second, since the amp is a 4 channel, that means i can power my 2 ways and 2 components with the amp, but it would leave out the tweets. can i power my tweeters with the HU? or do i have to buy another amp? any other equipment i will need to buy to help install the system? all help will be *very* appreciated . peace

the kappas are supposedly not a direct fit into the stock speaker locations, does anyone have any experience as to how hard kappas are to fit in? where should i place my tweeters? last, would it be ok for me to buy all these off of ebay? i bought my cq-df903u HU on ebay, and am very pleased with it, so i thought i would give ebay a shot for these also. Yes or No?
Old 09-30-2003, 03:02 PM

When you ask about powering your tweeters, I assume you mean the Kappa tweeters and not stock tweeters (if you have them). If you're talking about the Kappa tweeters, you're all good. The crossover takes care of that for you. One speaker wire pair (+/-) goes into the crossover and two pairs come out - one pair (+/-) to the tweeter and the other pair (+/-) to the speaker. I have Infinity Reference components in my front doors and that's how they work.

As for other equipment, you'll need an amp wiring kit. That typically includes power wire to connect the amp to the battery, an inline fuse with a fuse holder, ground wire for the amp, and some wire terminators to connect the power wire to the battery terminal and the ground wire to the car. The wire gauge and fuse rating depend on the power of the amp, but with just one amp you'll probably be able to use 8 gauge wire and a 30 amp fuse.