Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

how do i keep alternator from dying?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 11:19 PM

how do i keep alternator from dying?

Well, I knew it would happen. I killed my alternator, most likley by installing my stereo w/2amps and a 12" Kappa DVC sub. What I really want to know to prevent this from happening again is if installing a 1 farad capacitor will solve the problem of excessive alternator abuse or do i need to take other steps? Also will the installation of an Optima battery help the situation? Thanks

Eric
Old 10-11-2003, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Eric95se
Well, I knew it would happen. I killed my alternator, most likley by installing my stereo w/2amps and a 12" Kappa DVC sub. What I really want to know to prevent this from happening again is if installing a 1 farad capacitor will solve the problem of excessive alternator abuse or do i need to take other steps? Also will the installation of an Optima battery help the situation? Thanks

Eric
It wasn't neccessarily your stereo that killed it. Your car is 8 years old after all.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:33 AM
jmax

Useing the proper gauge wire is the first step. Then a cap and a good condition standard size battery. A bad cell in the battery can kill an alt. A bad ground wire can kill an alt. 8 years in an engine bay can kill anything but rats and roaches. Two amps aren't likley going to kill an alt unless you do nothing but play all bits high low frequency tones at full volume all day and night.

Old 10-11-2003, 07:56 AM

OK, I have 4 gauge wire running to a tsunami distribution block, then it splits to 8 gauge. All my grounds are 8-gauge, and run to the same grounding point. Is this a safe setup? Also what is you opinion on Optima batteries?
Old 10-11-2003, 08:50 AM
jmax

What amps do you have? How much RMS power is each amp capabale of producing? A battery is a battery. There isn't enough difference between two to justify a large price difference. The only time the battery becomes important is when the car is played for long duration with the engine off or in SPL competition.

Old 10-11-2003, 12:52 PM

[ What I really want to know to prevent this from happening again is if installing a 1 farad capacitor will solve the problem of excessive alternator abuse or do i need to take other steps?
Eric[/QUOTE]

All a Capacitor does is filter. It is used to pass a certain frequency to ground. Like the others, I think it was the altenators time to go.
John
Old 10-12-2003, 12:32 AM
jmax

"All a Capacitor does is filter. It is used to pass a certain frequency to ground." - wrong

A polarized cap stores DC energy. It has a very rapid charge and discharge rate. The first step in solving a voltage drop problem is to identify the problem. Then isolate the cause and take measures to eliminate the source of the voltage drop. Improper power and ground wireing are frequent causes of voltage drop. Next is any faulty wiring or faulty electrical device in the vehicles many circuits. A lot of these could be isolated at the under hood or dash fuse block.

Once again I ask what size are the amps you are useing and how are they wired?

Old 10-12-2003, 08:16 AM

OK, I hope all this info is right, I can't quite remember all the stats on my amps w/o the manuals which are at home. Both amps are Alpine, i will post model #s once i go out to the car. The sub amp is 700 watts peak, and 450 RMS (?). The speaker amps are putting out something like 50 watts RMS to 6.5 Infiniti refrence spkrs in back, and 6.5 Infiniti refrence components in the front. Sorry I can't be more exact I will try to get all that info....
Old 10-12-2003, 08:23 AM

The sub amp: Alpine MRP-M350 700 W max, 350w RMS into 2 ohms (does it change when connected to a DVC Subwoofer?)

The speaker amp: Alpine MRP-F240 360 W max, something like 50 watts RMS
Old 10-12-2003, 09:08 AM
jmax

The output of the sub amp will vary depending on the load it is connnected. 2 ohms would give you the most "stable" power for this amp. And it likely won't go up much even into a lower resistance. Basically 350 RMS for the sub amp and 200 RMS for the four channel. Adds up to 550 watts RMS. Divide power by voltage, 550 watts / 14.4 volts with engine on and 550 watts / 12.5 volts with engine off. That gives the amperage draw of the amplifiers. And coombined with the knowledge of the entire length of your power cables it provides the info you need to decide the gauge of the power and ground cables you need as well as the size of the fuse at the battery.

Your ground cables need to be as large as the power cables. The power needs to run completing through the circuit without a bottle neck or noose. I don't have my power wire chart with me now but I think 4 gauge is more than large enough for that much power. Also the amount of power you have is well below what should be needed to burn out the alt if all the wireing and other precautions are taken. This may just be an old alt that died. Or you could have a bad circuit somewhere other than in the wireing for the stereo.

Old 11-12-2003, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Eric95se

Eric
I was told get a battery Isolator and hook up a seperate optimum battery for the system and you won't have this problem.