Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

replacing entire Bose sytem...questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 06:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

replacing entire Bose sytem...questions

Hello, my Bose headunit started getting static when playing cds, a cd player cleaner can probably fix that but I still plan to replace the headunit. Im just going to replace the whole system since im going to have problems using the bose speakers. I decided to go with the Alpine CDA-9807 headunit. Im not sure which speakers to go with. Im a noob when it comes to car audio so I need some help. For the front speakers, should I go with the woofers and dome tweeters, like how the Bose is setup now or just get 2 or 3-way speakers. What kind of speakers should I get for the back? Im not planning on buying subs when I replace everything but I an going to add some later. Which brand of speakers should I go with? Thanks in advance.

Alpine CDA-9807
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=1&cc=01&avf=Y
Old 10-13-2003, 07:09 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

Since we both have 4th Gens with Bose, we're in the same boat. First, since you have tweeters in the front, go ahead and take advantage of this by getting components in the front (6.5"), and either 3-ways in the rear(6.5" also), or a sub or two in the back; if you don't purchase an amp to power everything, you'll have to run new speaker wire to all the new speakers to bypass the stock Bose relay & amp...I learned that sh*t the hard way.

Whatever choices you make, good luck. You're sure to get a number of opinions & options here....
Old 10-13-2003, 10:26 PM

this place sells this deck much cheaper.. i bought most of my system from them.

http://etronics.resultspage.com/disp...x=7&image1.y=3
Old 10-14-2003, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. I thought the speakers were 6 3/4s. Do I have to drill new holes to fit 6.5s? A friend showed me etronics before but I was going to order from crutchfield because the installation kit comes with it. Later I plan to add 2 10"s or 12"s subs but I dont have the money to do that now. Can I just run all the speakers off the amp built in the new headunit im buying? I thought there was a separate amp next to each speaker, so it would be possible to use the old speaker wire. If I do rewire, how difficult is that going to be?
Old 10-14-2003, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by JeEvE
Can I just run all the speakers off the amp built in the new headunit im buying? I thought there was a separate amp next to each speaker, so it would be possible to use the old speaker wire. If I do rewire, how difficult is that going to be?

From what I understand you do have to run new speaker wire. Yes, there are amps beside each speaker, this is where the wires from the bose hu are ran to. So I don't believe the wire ran from the hu to the bose amps are speaker wire. It a normal system you would run RCA's from the hu to the amps, but I don't think these wires are RCA's either. But non the less, run new wire.

It won't be too difficult if you've done anytype of install before, and even if you haven't it shouldn't be to hard. You will have to pull up the door panels (the plastic things the hold the carpet down) on each door and run the wire under the carpet. Pretty easy.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:01 PM

The only car audio I did before was install a headunit in an Altima, was easy for me so I think I would be able to run new wires. What gauge wire should I go with? Will the Alpine CDA-9807 built in amp be able to power the new speakers I get? Anyone have any suggestions on which brand speakers I should go with (6.5 components and 6.5 3-ways)? Im not sure what is good but im leaning toward Infinity Kappas. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:23 PM

You don't have to run new speaker wires. You can tap them from the wires going to each speaker. It is true, that each speaker is individually amped. But there is a way to rewire it from inside the door.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:54 PM

Really??? Man, there is so much contradicting info on these threads, I think I'm going to get a headache.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:14 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

Originally Posted by Supa Lao
You don't have to run new speaker wires. You can tap them from the wires going to each speaker. It is true, that each speaker is individually amped. But there is a way to rewire it from inside the door.
do tell....

I did that when i put new speakers in the back, but i got barely got any sound from them; an ORG'er told me later that you can't simply use the stock speaker wire...and the schematic I found shows that all the stock audio wiring runs through some sort of "relay" box before going out to the speakers and their respective mini-amps.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:16 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
Really??? Man, there is so much contradicting info on these threads, I think I'm going to get a headache.
We'll see what the final word is on re-wiring, but the speaker sizes are definitely 6-1/2" for both the front & the rear; trust me on this...i bought 6-3/4" speakers and those things were perfectly WRONG.

A lot of people do rave about Infinity Kappa's & Perfects....as for amps, JL seems to be the favorite.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:45 PM

I work at Circuit City doing installations, and I've never ran spkr wires in any of my bose maxima's before. The only things I've done was make new baffles for the front door out of abs plastic. It's been a while since I've done a bose maxima, but the next time I get one in, I'll try and remember to write what color will work. Also make sure the remote turn on is hooked up too.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:39 PM

I guess im gonna just have to try and see if the stock speaker wire will work. Will the Alpine headunit be enough to push the Infinity Kappas? Whats are baffles?
Old 10-16-2003, 07:47 PM

bump 123456
Old 10-17-2003, 08:22 AM

for the components, go for either Infinity Kappa Perfects... or MB Quart components.. thats what I would get if I was getting my speakers again... also that gives you an option of adding a more powerful amp to power those speakers later on

as for me, i'm stuck with Alpine Type S in the front and back (2001 model in back) and they're 2 way... only handle 40rms in front and 35 in the back supposedly, this is something i'd definately upgrade to components in front and 2 way in back if I had the money and the Infinity or MB Quart would be it..
Old 10-17-2003, 08:25 AM

forgot to add before, the Alpine deck will sound decent with the Infinity or MB Quart speakers, but the true great sound will come once you add an amp
Old 10-18-2003, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by polishpunk68
forgot to add before, the Alpine deck will sound decent with the Infinity or MB Quart speakers, but the true great sound will come once you add an amp
I dont thing im going to have enough money for an amp, I dont even have enough for the Alpine hu and speakers yet Im going with component Kappas in the front and Im going to try to fit 3-way Kappas in the rear. Will I be able to fit them by making the hole bigger with a dremel?