Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Adding tweeters?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 12:16 PM

Adding tweeters?

I'd like to add some tweeters to my system but i'm not sure if its possible.. I have a Premier HU powering 4 Alpine type S speakers.. if I were to get tweeters, where would I connect them? If I wired them directly to the front speakers, that would make the front speakers work on a 2 ohm load (i think) since the speakers are 4 ohm and so are the tweeters. I doubt my HU would be able to handle a 2 ohm load... so is this the case? or is there another way of safely adding tweeters?

thanks
Old 10-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you can get a very low powered amp 25W X 2 to run your tweets. However it may be more cost effective to buy a good passive crossover that will allow for a mid and tweeter. This way you have 1 input and 2 outputs and this will keep it at 4 ohms
Old 10-17-2003, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by polishpunk68
I'd like to add some tweeters to my system but i'm not sure if its possible.. I have a Premier HU powering 4 Alpine type S speakers.. if I were to get tweeters, where would I connect them? If I wired them directly to the front speakers, that would make the front speakers work on a 2 ohm load (i think) since the speakers are 4 ohm and so are the tweeters. I doubt my HU would be able to handle a 2 ohm load... so is this the case? or is there another way of safely adding tweeters?

thanks
HU at 2 ohm = very bad.

Not really worth buying crossovers, since buying a new set of components will cost about the same as buying crossovers and tweeters separately. Buying a set of components is your best bet - cost effective and the speakers are matched with each other and the crossover.

It's like a fast food combo. You can buy the burger and fries because you already have a drink, or you can get the combo and get the burger, fries, and another drink for free... did that make sense?

And while your at it, get an amp on those new components, you won't regret it.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:36 PM

thats what i'm starting to look into... first i gotta hook up my sub tho hehe.. the components are for another time

thanks for the help.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:08 AM
jmax

There is another option. Use a multimeter to find the nominal impedance of the tweeters you have now. Then get an L-pad, or a potentiometer with the same impedance. Wire the L-pad before the tweeters. OR better yet get two L-pads and wire them either in series or parallel to match the factory tweeter impedance. Then you can control the output of each tweet seperately.

Personally I would just get decent components and put them in the kick panels.

Old 10-19-2003, 07:04 PM

I think I made a decision on what I'm gonna do. I'm just not gonna get tweeters, at least not for a while, a long while. I decided to get a 2 ch amp for my 4 speakers (wire in parallel for a 2 ohm load on each side) to fully utilize the power of the amp and save money in the meantime.

The reason for this is because after I hooked up my sub, I realized that my highs are quite good. I just need an amp to drive them better along with my mids. THEN I'd be in the position to upgrade to components at any given time since I'd already have enough power to drive them as well.

The reason for wiring my speakers this way is because I only have 2 sets of preouts (front and rear) and my sub is on the rear, so if I add an amp hooked up to the front preouts all the speakers will be treated as front speakers. This gives me better use of the fader in my HU so I can balance the mids and highs with the lows
Old 10-20-2003, 06:04 PM
jmax

Okay, that's fine. But why do the rear speakers need an amp? Do you sit in back when you drive?

Old 10-20-2003, 07:59 PM

if i hook the back speakers up to the same amp (along with the fronts in a 2 ohm load) it'll trick the HU to think that all 4 speakers are the front ones, that way since my HU only has 2 sets of preouts, with the sub being hooked up to the rear preouts, it gives be better use of the fader.. I can balance the sub with the speakers at will
Old 10-21-2003, 08:48 AM
jmax

You are not trickying the headunit at all. You are tricking yourself. Your rear speakers will "overpower" your front speakers without the fader. The rear speakers are mounted high and reflect off of the glass to your ears. The front speakers are aimed at your ankles. It may sound overall louder but it will not sound better. Although 99.9% of people incorrectly use the SPL to determine what sounds better.