Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

having problem with system need help kind of long

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 10:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

having problem with system need help kind of long

this is my friends system he has fogate 1501db amp and IDmax v2 sub.
well here is his story.
While driving to school bumping my music,I started to smell something burning. After a while the subs turn off, I figured I had a blown fuse. I grab a spare fuse and take a look under the hood. I don’t see or smell anything burning and the fuse is intact. I open the trunk and smoke billows out of the port and stinks. Also my box doesn't really seat the subwoofer completely air tight. I can hear hisses from 3 of the screw holes. But I have had this in my car for about a month, with no problems. In fact I have been able to turn my volume up to 33 from outside of my car for about 4 minutes. Now I risk blowing the fuse when I set the volume to 24 for a second. Now, my fuse has been exploding very frequently after I had accidentally touched the power wire to the amp. I have had to change fuses frequently after that. I talked to the Image Dynamic tech and repair guys. They have listed 3 possibilities: The AMP is defective and as a result of that defect it is clipping. 2nd: The amp is clipping at high volumes. Lastly: Speaker abuse, done by me. But it was at volume of 20. Which I usually listen to it at. Now I need to figure out what when wrong with the system.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:56 AM
jmax

THere is at least one other possibility. That is that the amp wireing needs to be looked at very carefully. Verify that all the connections are clean. Make sure the power and ground wires are not shorted anywhere and don't have any tight bends. Also verify that the gauge of wire you are using is sufficient for the current that the amp needs to provide full power. Anytime you have voltage drop the current demand of a system goes up to compensate. Therefore a fuse that is rated to protect the amp may not be able to pass the power needed for the amp to perform best.

The smoke coming out of the sub enclosure is not good. It may have been glue in the gap or on the coil burning off. This happens with a lot of new subs in the first one to two months. But it also may have been the voice coil. The leaks in the box result in a lower power handling sub. Power handling is dependant on the box a sub calls home.

Old 10-19-2003, 01:06 PM

YOUR SUB IS COMPLETELY FRIED!

Too much power to the sub for too long just beat it to death. I doubt theres a single change that it is not fried. Push on the cone and post back how it feels.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:44 PM

thank
i knoe the sub is fried im getting a new voice coil. but what i what to know is y it went bad???
Old 10-20-2003, 12:23 PM

what size was the IDMAX you hooked up?
And what was the voice coil configuration?
Old 10-20-2003, 06:01 PM
jmax

Improper setting of gains.

Incorrect box design.

And the already mentioned loose wireing that shorted out on the side of the amp. Possibly other wiring issues, doesn't matter at this point.

Old 10-20-2003, 10:20 PM

it was a dual 4 ohm sub and it was a 12 inch but the thing is my friend doesnt wnat to put it back in and burn the voice coil again. do u think its the box???? it was made to spec
Old 10-21-2003, 08:44 AM
jmax

It was mad to spec for using 1600 - 2000 watts RMS? Or it was made to spec for about 1000 watts RMS? It makes a big difference. You obviously have too much power. The sub can take about 1500 - 1600 watts RMS peak. But someone forgot to read the owners manual and didn't learn what that means.

What is the tuning frequency? Is there an infrasonic or 'subsonic' filter?

Old 10-22-2003, 10:59 PM

no that sub can hold more like 2 to 4 thousand watts. oh yea the other problem with his system is that there is a leak can a leak cause a voice coil to burn up???
Old 10-23-2003, 07:12 AM
jmax

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/webs...cts/IDMAX.html

That link will show you that the recommended power handling is 1000 - 1800 watts RMS for typical music material. If you are still confused about how to build the proper box and how much power to use get in contact with Image Dynamics. The link below may be useful but don't ignore anything you may not truly understand. Also, A properly built box is as important as a properly designed box. Leaks reduce the pressure in the box allowing the cone to move more easilly and lowering the mechanical power handling. This is what a port does below the tuning frequency.

http://www.m-emag.com/article.asp?se...article_id=302

Old 10-23-2003, 02:38 PM

thanks for the help also this is my friends system not mine oh but can a leak in the box fry a voice coil. also the people who i bought the sub from is streetnoiz and they are one of the best or the best shop in my city. they told me that teh sub can handle up to 2 to 4000 watts and that what it said in their booklet. but thanks for the help