Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

trying to keep the Bose HU and install amp+speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 09:06 AM

trying to keep the Bose HU and install amp+speakers

I just picked up an '02 6-speed last week.

This car has the in dash 6-disk cd changer and the remote controls mounted on the steering wheel. I really like that feature. As long as the radio is functioning properly, I want to keep it.

Is it possible to install aftermarket speakers in the front and rear doors that still look like a stock install? I'm contemplating taking the signal wires from the head unit and running them back to an amplifier. Then I could power the aftermarket speakers using an amp or two or three, instead of the Bose HU.

I heard that the bose system uses 8ohm speakers or something like that. Could someone clarify this for me? This car is fantastic. The MT is fantastic. The radio is very sub-par.

For my last car, which I am selling very cheap, I have a Kenwood HU. I installed Kenwood Excelon component 6.5 + tweet with the passive crossover. I left the speakers on the rear deck stock and I had 1 12" sub powered by a, you guessed it, Kenwood Excelon amp. I didn't build a competition system because I had no desire to. BUT, the stereo in my '96 Galant ROCKS compared to the BLOWS, I mean Bose system.

Has anyone just swapped speakers and noticed a big enough difference for the money and the effort? Has anyone kept the Bose HU and installed amps and aftermarket speakers to improve the tunes?

Ablythe
Dallas, TX
Old 10-22-2003, 10:36 AM

I put a 12" in my trunk, removed the stock sub, dynomatted everything and kept everything else stock. I've got a really good thump going on. That was good enough for me. It just depends how much $$$ you want to spend
Old 10-22-2003, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by ablythe
I heard that the bose system uses 8ohm speakers or something like that. Could someone clarify this for me? This car is fantastic. The MT is fantastic. The radio is very sub-par.
Do a little searching. I know that my 94 Max, has the Bose system and the speakers are 1 ohm not 8 ohm. Maybe it has changed since then.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ablythe
I just picked up an '02 6-speed last week.

This car has the in dash 6-disk cd changer and the remote controls mounted on the steering wheel. I really like that feature. As long as the radio is functioning properly, I want to keep it.

Is it possible to install aftermarket speakers in the front and rear doors that still look like a stock install? I'm contemplating taking the signal wires from the head unit and running them back to an amplifier. Then I could power the aftermarket speakers using an amp or two or three, instead of the Bose HU.

For my last car, which I am selling very cheap, I have a Kenwood HU. I installed Kenwood Excelon component 6.5 + tweet with the passive crossover. I left the speakers on the rear deck stock and I had 1 12" sub powered by a, you guessed it, Kenwood Excelon amp. I didn't build a competition system because I had no desire to. BUT, the stereo in my '96 Galant ROCKS compared to the BLOWS, I mean Bose system.

Has anyone just swapped speakers and noticed a big enough difference for the money and the effort? Has anyone kept the Bose HU and installed amps and aftermarket speakers to improve the tunes?

Ablythe
Dallas, TX
I'm from Plano, TX. You should check out Dallas Nissaan Enthusiasts.
www.nissans.org and http://www.nissanforums.com/forumdis...s=&forumid=129 .

To answer your question, You can get a PAC AEOM-NIS2 and keep your stock headunit and add as many amps as you want. I have a Sub/Amp currently off the rear RCAs and will be running some components off the fron RCAs with a 75x2 amp. It sounds good so far and looks totally stock. Another guy from DNE has a similar setup with focal components up front and MTX for the sub/amp.