Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Problems with Non-bose system

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2001, 04:57 PM
KHS

Ok, recently in my 89 GXE, the radio has been puttiing out this very high-pitch ringing sound. However, after about 10 minutes, the noise is gone. It seems like it goes away once the engine has warmed up. I really don't know.
I recently got a new deck, its a Kenwood, KDC-715S i think. It has that automatic D-Mask thing. I still have the same problem with the ringing sound. Also, when i had the new player installed, the place said i need one of those OEM adapter things because of the "active" speakers in the back. Was this really necessary? I think CanuckAMP could probably help me on this one. Thanks
Old 02-25-2001, 09:15 PM

Your problem is that your Kenwood is sending an amplified signal (read higher voltage) to your rear factory amplifier. This amplifier prefers to see an unamplified low voltage signal and as such it's overdriving itself, overheating and distorting the sound.

What you need to do is disconnect the input wires to the factory amplifier and splice new speaker wires to what comes from the front of the car. Then connect these new wires directly to the speakers, by splicing them back in close to the speaker.

Check my webpage for the wiring color codes for the rear amp input (left +/- and right +/-) and the amplified speaker outpots for each speaker.

Old 02-25-2001, 09:25 PM

Oh one more thing. The reason they sold you the OEM adapter was probably so that they could more easily connect the Kenwood to the factory wiring without cutting the factory harness off. Only thing is that they forgot to bypass the rear amplifier as the adapter doesn't do that it's just a connection tool behind the headunit with 2 jacks. They also should have sold you a Nissan antenna adapter as well.
Old 02-26-2001, 03:26 PM
KHS

I got the antenna adapter

I got that, the guy threw it in for free because he forgot to metion on it before they installed it. Are you sure it is the too much power problem with the rear amp? Because i already had the ringing sound happening with the stock tape deck. So i dont think its the kenwood deck. And the ringing goes away after i have my car running for about 10 minutes? Still think its the amp? And how easy is it rewire the back speakers to bypass the amp? can i get directions? thanks for your help.
Old 02-26-2001, 07:42 PM

Yeah I'd still guess that it's the amp that is the problem. Splicing the wires in you can do with T-Taps or by stripping some insulation back on the wires and then soldering the new speaker wires in and then connecting these back in before the speaker connector.

Old 02-28-2001, 03:47 PM
KHS

Thanks for all of your help

Recently I talked to a guy at one of the car stereo places in my area and he too thought that the problem was a bad connection in the amp. He suggested the rewiring, but i think thats a little over my head. So probably next week I am gonna have them do it. Can you post a link to your site with the mexima stereo info? Thanks, Ken
Old 02-28-2001, 04:23 PM

That would be at http://www.geocities.com/canuckamp/audio.html scroll down to the install area.....

Old 03-02-2001, 09:22 PM
KHS

Separate Question

CanuckAmp, I have another question, not really related to what i asked before. That is, can i fit 6x9s in the rear deck? Right now with the standard system, its only 6.5" speakers. And would it be much harder to install the 6x9s? or would you even recommend a pair of 6x9s over 6.5?