Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Rear Deck Rattle Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003 | 10:00 AM

Rear Deck Rattle Revisited

FYI, I have a 2003 Maxima SE with a JL Audio 12W3v2 in a sealed enclosure, powered by JL Audio Amp. Need some help, I still have my rear deck rattling even after dynomatting my trunk and under the rear deck. Besdies placing foam padding underneath the rear deck; I was wondering if anyone has replaced their rear deck with a baffle board to allow for more bass and nearly eliminate all rattles from inside the rear cabin?
Old 12-08-2003 | 10:17 AM

I dynomatted it and it stopped for me....
Old 12-08-2003 | 10:20 AM
jmax

eperalta, email me. I already responded to your post in the DC section. If you want to meet up on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday I can do that. BTW I am in VA, about 10 minutes west of Manassas.

j_grieve33@hotmail.com
Old 12-08-2003 | 11:08 AM

You have mail.

Originally Posted by jmax
eperalta, email me. I already responded to your post in the DC section. If you want to meet up on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday I can do that. BTW I am in VA, about 10 minutes west of Manassas.

j_grieve33@hotmail.com
Old 12-08-2003 | 11:13 AM

Igor911,

Did you use multiple layers of dynomat on the rear deck and trunk?
Originally Posted by Igor911
I dynomatted it and it stopped for me....
Old 12-08-2003 | 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by eperalta
Igor911,

Did you use multiple layers of dynomat on the rear deck and trunk?
nope, 1 layer. Just remember to do the seatbelts...
Old 12-08-2003 | 11:22 AM

I got the seatbelt area dynomatted. You know where bose subwoofer is suppose to be on the rear deck did you dynomat around the rectangular area, I didn't.
Thanks for the quick reply.
nope, 1 layer. Just remember to do the seatbelts...
Old 12-08-2003 | 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by eperalta
I got the seatbelt area dynomatted. You know where bose subwoofer is suppose to be on the rear deck did you dynomat around the rectangular area, I didn't.
Thanks for the quick reply.
ohh YEA! That's one of the MAIN areas!!!
Old 12-08-2003 | 12:21 PM

Problem noted, but wouldn't a baffle board give me more bass. Appreciate the assistance Igor911.
ohh YEA! That's one of the MAIN areas!!!
Old 12-08-2003 | 12:37 PM
jmax

More bass? Only things that will will give more bass are more subs, more power, different enclosure, or tuned resonators. Dampening doesn't even give more bass. Only lowers the noise floor.
Old 12-09-2003 | 03:33 PM

Actually, according to Dynamat, you are getting more bass with sound deadening material. The reason for this is that less of the acoustic pressure is being wasted on rattling decks. Instead, the bass is bouncing off and more of it is reaching your ears.
Old 12-09-2003 | 03:38 PM
jmax

That's hilarious. Really, very funny. Those guys in the marketing department have a good sense of humor. I can't wait till they try to prove that with a mic.
Old 12-10-2003 | 08:22 AM

I thought he meant that he left the port open that was previously occupied by the Bose sub rather than dynomatting over it. Thereby allowing an opening for the sound to move to the cabin.
Old 12-10-2003 | 08:52 AM
jmax

Originally Posted by Maxima Dan
I thought he meant that he left the port open that was previously occupied by the Bose sub rather than dynomatting over it. Thereby allowing an opening for the sound to move to the cabin.
Actually he didn't have the factory bose system. He meant that he didn't cover that center section of the rear deck. We looked at the car last night and there wasn't a whole lot of noise. The rear deck can likely be taken care of by stuffing some absorptive material between the press board deck lid and the metal frame of the deck. Other than that he needs a bit of dampening material in the rear quarter panel / fender area as well as possibly stuffing something in the rear bumper to keep the bumper cover and the inner portion from resonating. I havn't taken a bumper apart yet so I don't know the best material for that. My guess is either a thin closed cell foam or a liquid rubber that could be painted on.

It's funny what young people think of as a lot of rattle these days. My first car had more rattles just riding down the road with no music than what his car had with the system thumping fairly well. I can shake and rattle plates and glasses in my cabinets at home and everytime it's enough to make the CD changer skip. Luckilly my DVD is a single disc player.
Old 12-10-2003 | 09:55 AM

Actually he didn't have the factory bose system. He meant that he didn't cover that center section of the rear deck. We looked at the car last night and there wasn't a whole lot of noise. The rear deck can likely be taken care of by stuffing some absorptive material between the press board deck lid and the metal frame of the deck. Other than that he needs a bit of dampening material in the rear quarter panel / fender area as well as possibly stuffing something in the rear bumper to keep the bumper cover and the inner portion from resonating. I havn't taken a bumper apart yet so I don't know the best material for that. My guess is either a thin closed cell foam or a liquid rubber that could be painted on.

It's funny what young people think of as a lot of rattle these days. My first car had more rattles just riding down the road with no music than what his car had with the system thumping fairly well. I can shake and rattle plates and glasses in my cabinets at home and everytime it's enough to make the CD changer skip. Luckilly my DVD is a single disc player.
you're a shmuck!

Its not the rear deck rattling it self, its the metal underneath. The metal flexes when bass hits. Take off your rear deck and just watch it
Old 12-10-2003 | 10:31 AM
jmax

The metal flexes and rubs the deck board. Simple solution is to place absorptive material in between. I don't have a rear deck so I can't do your little experiment. By the way the rear deck is the metal portion, but I'm a schmuck for posting useful info.
Old 12-10-2003 | 10:50 AM

JMAX,

Thanks for the quick diagnosis. I will perform your recommendation.

The metal flexes and rubs the deck board. Simple solution is to place absorptive material in between. I don't have a rear deck so I can't do your little experiment. By the way the rear deck is the metal portion, but I'm a schmuck for posting useful info.
Old 12-10-2003 | 10:52 AM

once again I call u a moron in the 2nd thread u post in.

The METAL vibrates against OTHER METAL on the rear deck, not the board it self. There is VERY MINIMAL rubbing of the board. Most of the rattling comes from the metal on metal contact.

I know this because I just fixed it on my car.