Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Extra battery in trunk // Harder on alternator or does it ease the load?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 11:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Extra battery in trunk // Harder on alternator or does it ease the load?

I recently purchased a system from a buddy of mine and he said it needed to have a battery installed in the trunk as well. It's 2 12" Kicker Free-Air's in a slot-ported box, powered by a Kicker ZR600 bridged to 2 ohms. The battery he gave me is a deep-cycle marine battery. Is this alleviating some of the strain on my alternator or is it harder on it having to charge two batteries?

In the past I've had some systems where they would dim the lights a bit when the bass hit really hard. With the set-up I just put in, I don't noticing them dim at all. It sounds really good. Unfortunately, the day after I completed the install, we got 6" of snow dumped on us so the car's been sitting in the garage the whole time. Really irritates me that i can't drive around and listen to it!
Old 12-13-2003, 05:37 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BSwithTF
I recently purchased a system from a buddy of mine and he said it needed to have a battery installed in the trunk as well. It's 2 12" Kicker Free-Air's in a slot-ported box, powered by a Kicker ZR600 bridged to 2 ohms. The battery he gave me is a deep-cycle marine battery. Is this alleviating some of the strain on my alternator or is it harder on it having to charge two batteries?

In the past I've had some systems where they would dim the lights a bit when the bass hit really hard. With the set-up I just put in, I don't noticing them dim at all. It sounds really good. Unfortunately, the day after I completed the install, we got 6" of snow dumped on us so the car's been sitting in the garage the whole time. Really irritates me that i can't drive around and listen to it!
Couple of things you want to consider, to help with the dimming lights if you haven't already done so, add a capacitor. I believe the recommended set up is 1 farad cap for every 1000Watts RMS you're pushing. Also if you plan on adding a second battery, go with something like this. http://www.sfxaudio.com/products/dis...p?ProdId=63375. Or, you can always look into getting a high output alternator
Old 12-13-2003, 09:25 AM
jmax

The second battery in the trunk is definitely harder on the alt. Long wire is just one of the problems. Cold battery is another. List is too long.

Second issue is that you don't want to mix batery types or sizes. They won't charge equally and your starter battery could die. The resistance within the battery is too high to help with dimming lights from bass heavy music.

Your factory battery and alternator are more than sufficient for the amp you have. Only point of a second battery would be to listen to music with the engine off. But if you do that you need to isolate the second battery.

I was driving around in 14 - 20 inches of snow last year. Go have fun.