Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Advice on Free-Air Sub for 2K3 Max

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 07:14 PM

Advice on Free-Air Sub for 2K3 Max

Hello,

Has anyone gotten good results with a Free-Air sub in the rear deck of a 2K3 Max? I have been looking at a Basslink but the installation of a free-air sub seems like a much cheaper solution specially if you have an amp already. How would the bass compare?

Any recommendations on a good free air sub?
I am assuming that the rear deck will take a 10" sub. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 12-14-2003, 10:50 PM

It depents on the type of bass you want. I'm a bass hungry lunatic and free-air just doesnt cut it. I'd spend a lil more and buy a sub that takes a small enclosure... chances are you will be heppier that way...
Old 12-15-2003, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by speediq99
Hello,

Has anyone gotten good results with a Free-Air sub in the rear deck of a 2K3 Max? I have been looking at a Basslink but the installation of a free-air sub seems like a much cheaper solution specially if you have an amp already. How would the bass compare?

Any recommendations on a good free air sub?
I am assuming that the rear deck will take a 10" sub. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Mike
Don't get me wrong, an IB sub under the rear deck is doable. However, I spent quite a bit of time looking under mine and there's several things in your way. First, you'll have to do something with the torsion bars that hold the trunk open. You can get shocks to replace them if you're imaginitive. Second, you will have to completely seal off the front and rear portions of the woofer. There's a lot of irregularly shaped things under the deck! The easiest way I could see (not the only way by any means) is to cut a round opening for your sub (a 10" seemed about right...an 8 even easier) in the deck and make a baffle to mount it to. Then you could seal off the deck from above.

Many companies make IB subs. Soundstream, JL, Oz....many many more. I've heard Oz Audio makes some SWEET IB subs.

IB setups are much more work than mounting a sealed box...but if done right, the results would be worth it.

Termpro.com has an audio forum with a great SEARCH feature that you can learn quite a bit about IBs.

Tony