Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Opinions on Audiobahn

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 06:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Opinions on Audiobahn

Ok guys please be honest. I'm a college student on a smallish budget for the audio build up on my Maxima. A currently have a Kenwood KDC-MP922 head unit and Audiobahn 6.5 speakers all around. The reason I'm asking about Audiobahn is because everyone seems to have their stuff. All the shows I go to people use it, most of the major import mags are full of Audiobahn amps/subs. Now is this because the stuff is cheap? Or is it good? I mean with both their amps and subs they seem to be good price to power ratio. I really only have the money to do it right the first time. I'm worried about doing a really nice custom install and having junk subs in there and everyone knocking me for it. Please share all experience with Audiobahn as well as opinion. BUT please dont just say..."ah it all sucks!" - Be kind enough to say why. Thanks guys!
Old 01-25-2004, 10:53 PM

It really depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a decent SPL sub, audiobahn is right up your alley. They are not really known as well for their SQ qualities. I had an aw1200x a few years ago and it pounded. Capable of carrying fairly quick bass lines while being damned loud. The only thing I would watch out for is the fact that their subs are overrated, I wouldn't give any more than what their RMS is to any of their lines. I don't think you would be disappointed however.

There are lots of options to explore, let us know what type of music you listen to, if you want an SQ or SPL setup and what type of power you will be giving it.

Good luck,

Jake
Old 01-25-2004, 11:24 PM

IMO, audiobahn is too geared towards show. that's probably why many people use audiobahn gear in their show cars. all their stuff seems to be chromed and what-not. my $.02
Old 01-26-2004, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
IMO, audiobahn is too geared towards show. that's probably why many people use audiobahn gear in their show cars. all their stuff seems to be chromed and what-not. my $.02
word. tell us what kind of skrilla you have and we can give you ideas.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:28 AM

I listen to mostly hip hop/rap, with some techno/trance/dance. So more or less I'm just looking for the bass to hit hard. I do listen to some linkin park and rage but only some times. My max is far from a show car, its just to get me to school and work. I dont care wtf they look like just so that they sound good. And by good I dont want to win a SQ or SPL event just be loud without sounding sloppy. Like I said I'm on a student budget which isn't very big.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Hamy
I listen to mostly hip hop/rap, with some techno/trance/dance. So more or less I'm just looking for the bass to hit hard. I do listen to some linkin park and rage but only some times. My max is far from a show car, its just to get me to school and work. I dont care wtf they look like just so that they sound good. And by good I dont want to win a SQ or SPL event just be loud without sounding sloppy. Like I said I'm on a student budget which isn't very big.
I have 2 12" audiobahns in my trunk, and the SQ and SPL are extremely nice. Very loud. They don't cost at much as some of the other, what I like to call "overrated" products either. So In my opinion they have great subs to buy.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:23 PM

Hamy I am in about the same position you are in. I am a poor (till the summer comes and I payoff my car) high school student. Last summer I bought a box with a crappy vinal job ($50, yea I know I got took) I soon figured out that I sould have finished paying form car, and my sesonal job (landscaper) had just ended. It is now siting in my garage not being used. I want to strip it down and put a board across the front so it is flat across the whole trunk. maybe add a window, neons, or mount my amp submerged in it. not sure yet...
At first I planned on ussing fosgate. (or possibly infinity or mtx) lately I have been lookin at audiobahn. they seem pretty solid and look tight. I was wondering if anyone has had good/ bad luck with them also.
Alot of my friends have the ussuall fosgate mtx or infinitys- as you can tell by my plans I HATE having the same thing as everyone else. (Also why I bought a MAX) I hope to spend about $500 more, I think audiobahn would be in my price range.

Here is and Idea of what I want to do
Of coarse not that nice of a set up and only 2 12's, but you get the idea of the box

Fast and the furious max bought by JBL
Old 01-26-2004, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by lilgrebbie
Hamy I am in about the same position you are in. I am a poor (till the summer comes and I payoff my car) high school student. Last summer I bought a box with a crappy vinal job ($50, yea I know I got took) I soon figured out that I sould have finished paying form car, and my sesonal job (landscaper) had just ended. It is now siting in my garage not being used. I want to strip it down and put a board across the front so it is flat across the whole trunk. maybe add a window, neons, or mount my amp submerged in it. not sure yet...
At first I planned on ussing fosgate. (or possibly infinity or mtx) lately I have been lookin at audiobahn. they seem pretty solid and look tight. I was wondering if anyone has had good/ bad luck with them also.
Alot of my friends have the ussuall fosgate mtx or infinitys- as you can tell by my plans I HATE having the same thing as everyone else. (Also why I bought a MAX) I hope to spend about $500 more, I think audiobahn would be in my price range.

Here is and Idea of what I want to do
Of coarse not that nice of a set up and only 2 12's, but you get the idea of the box

Fast and the furious max bought by JBL

check out my sig. im a poor college studentwho ran into some $$$ (xmas,bday) and i bought all of the stuff in my sig for around $800 to my door. i installed everything excpet the amp and subs which will be here this week. but i have heard the same subs/smp combo because i picked them out for my bro and he loves it. now if you install yourself dont forget you need tools and the time to do it. but i saved close to $300 on installing it myself which permitted me to get the god stuff i have. you can easily shed $100 off the price for a cheaper, less flashy h/u.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:07 PM

Audiobahn...well... Ill be honest. They look good for show purposes, they get loud as hell BUT is has to be in the right box to be able to work its magic. SQ...not too great.

Ever heard of Brahma?
Old 01-27-2004, 03:25 AM

Audiobahn is good for cheap disposable SPL and some good bass.

Their subs are not totally reliable and most can not handle their RMS.

I like their amps a lot, the do more than they power they are rated to do, have good crossovers, are full of features, and I PERSONALLY THINK can look VERY sexy in the right install.