Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

what to power my Boston Pro Series 6.5s

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 06:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Took the words right out of my mouth..err..hands.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:41 PM
vqman

Originally Posted by Tony Fernandes
Excatly! My C90 only has 4 volts and I can max the volume **** and have absolutey ZERO noise.

Tony

YOWSERS!

-vq

Old 02-17-2004, 01:45 PM
vqman

i ended up going with a SoundStream Van Gogh 320/4

it has 80W x 4 @ 4 ohms

and 160W x 4 @ 2 ohms

so my Boston's are 3 ohm speakers..that puts us around 120W RMS!

http://www.caraudioshopping.com/inde...alog199_2.html

it's got a 115dB s/n ratio

and the input sensitivity is up to 12V (so my 8V won't be a problem)

-vq

Old 03-11-2004, 05:22 PM
vqman

Originally Posted by HitManSE
If you have the 8053, that things got balanced line outputs (16v) which means its going to be VERY efficient.
The Pro series alone is already overkill, like Matt93SE (btw-nice setup mang, unless my eyes are deceiving me, thats about 2Kw's worth of PPI's ) The Z series is going to be even beyond that, most people dont even need to go as high up as the Pros yet along the Z's but thats your call, just offering my .02 anyway...
I think you'll be surprised at the output w/o using too many watts, Matt's right though, they are power hungry but efficency goes a long way. When my sub wasnt hooked up & we were dialing the gains in for the components, we had on some jazz music just to see how clear these things were...you could hear them clearly a good 300-400ft down the rd... every note. Those were just the rears, once we had both front/rear set correctly, it was literally unbearable inside with the volume around 60-62 with the gains around 40%, you know the HU can go up to 80 so I still have a lot of head room to crank it.
After about 1min at that level, our ears took a good hr to return back to normal (you know, that feeling after you leave a concert & just cant hear very well )
Just keep in mind, you have the balanced line outputs so its going to be a bit more efficent, just letting you know what your in for. In this case, a little power will go a long way.
If the pro series alone are already overkill, then I would take that to mean that the Z6's are BIGTIME overkill in your humble opinion....

-vq

Old 03-11-2004, 05:34 PM
vqman

Trust me, if any1 know overkill...im the one. Thats what I always do I just might end up getting the Z's down the road, but for now (or so I think) im satisfied

The 450/4 should do just fine.
Trust me, your going to be shocked at the output of those Z's with 150rms on them. My Pro's with 75 will cause the ears to ring for a while. I say your nuts, coming from me...thats something

An ultra clear, ultra crisp, perfect replication of my music is definetly what your going to get with that setup, just be careful with the volume ****. Once it sweeps north of 50+ ...then you'll understand why I say overkill. Its scary knowing you can still turn it upto 80.

Thats one hell of a setup your getting man, best of luck with it

...btw- Dont 4get an alarm to match.
what did you say about my Z6's?

Overkill?

Not that it bothers me or anything...I don't think I even like them now that they are installed...

But you really are the overkill expert, considering you rattled your lights out...literally

I appreciate all the help you give on this forum...I'm not trying to flame you or anything, but I just wanted to point out that you DID say the Z6's were overkill..

-vq

Old 03-12-2004, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by VQMAN
what did you say about my Z6's?

Overkill?

Not that it bothers me or anything...I don't think I even like them now that they are installed...

But you really are the overkill expert, considering you rattled your lights out...literally

I appreciate all the help you give on this forum...I'm not trying to flame you or anything, but I just wanted to point out that you DID say the Z6's were overkill..

-vq
Not that it bothers you? You've brought this up in two different threads now.
Id say yes it does obviously bother you. If it did not, you would not have taken the time to make the post.

Yes I said they are overkill...satisfied?
If you want ill go around and find every post that you mentioned this, and ill post the same thing. I didnt think it meant that much to you
Old 03-13-2004, 04:13 PM
vqman

Yes I said they are overkill...satisfied?
satisfaction!

I wasn't trying to **** you off...

I even went as far as to say I appreciated your advice on this forum...

PEACE my man, PEACE!

-vq

Old 03-13-2004, 04:29 PM

Lets just leave it be