Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Sound Staging

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 12:22 AM

Sound Staging

I've been hearing a lot of hoobla this hoobla that about sound staging but I don't know how to acheive this. I have Mb quart components up front. To acheive the best sound staging in the maxima, where should the tweeters be placed and at what angle. Same question for the midbass. Right now the tweets are in the A pillar and the mids in the stock location. Also I've been hearing a lot about SQ and the lack of a rear speaker but I have them so Im going to use them. I have CDT coaxials. At what angle should these tweets be facing? (Towards headrest, towards center, or towards rear passenger glass?) I want to get bass blockers for the rears but what frequency should it be cut off at?

I've read articles off the caraudio forum about making your own kickpanels. Sounds very interesting and I might give it a shot. Did anyone on the org make their own kickpanels or any fiberglass stuff? Any pics of them if you did? I have a million and one more questions but I'll leave it at this. Thanks everyone.

S.Kim
Old 02-16-2004, 12:33 PM

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/407837

Getting the car to stage can be involved, it requires custom mounting of the mid and tweet, tons of work on picking crossover points, angles, x over slopes etc and so on. To improve it you can toss a set of kicks in. To get it as good as it can be will take alot of time and money.

Many aproachs have come about, and many opinions are everywhere.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:52 PM

thanks for the post max'n out,

Your car looks awesome, nice and simple looking on the outside(surface looks), but spectacular on the inside(all hidden components). Are you selling/sold your car as is or are you taking everything out? Anyways, awesome car.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by boyzindahood978
thanks for the post max'n out,

Your car looks awesome, nice and simple looking on the outside(surface looks), but spectacular on the inside(all hidden components). Are you selling/sold your car as is or are you taking everything out? Anyways, awesome car.
Selling it as is, and if that fails by the time i move into my new house, I'm going to pull the audio stuff then sell the remainder as is.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by boyzindahood978
I've been hearing a lot of hoobla this hoobla that about sound staging but I don't know how to acheive this. I have Mb quart components up front. To acheive the best sound staging in the maxima, where should the tweeters be placed and at what angle. Same question for the midbass. Right now the tweets are in the A pillar and the mids in the stock location. Also I've been hearing a lot about SQ and the lack of a rear speaker but I have them so Im going to use them. I have CDT coaxials. At what angle should these tweets be facing? (Towards headrest, towards center, or towards rear passenger glass?) I want to get bass blockers for the rears but what frequency should it be cut off at?

I've read articles off the caraudio forum about making your own kickpanels. Sounds very interesting and I might give it a shot. Did anyone on the org make their own kickpanels or any fiberglass stuff? Any pics of them if you did? I have a million and one more questions but I'll leave it at this. Thanks everyone.

S.Kim
I suggest you start out by keeping the mids in the doors and using tape or velcro to temporarily position the tweeter in various locations until you are happy with the results. Drive around and listen and park and listen to the different locations thoroughly before making your up your mind. It takes time for your ears to adjust. Listen to music you are the most familiar with. Also, it doesn't hurt to listen to other people's systems and take notice of their setups.

As far as rear speakers go, it's all personal choice. If I have rear fill, I'll have the fader set at the point to where the rear speakers do not distract you from the front speakers...you might not even be able to really tell that they're even on. But if you were to suddenly turn them off, you'd immediately notice their absense. Realistically though, it just needs to sound good to YOU. I would start at high passing them at no lower than 70Hz.

Like max'n out said, though, getting a good front soudstage also involves custom mounting work, xovers, EQs, and lots of work. It all depends on how invoved you want to get.

Tony