Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Ipod dock installed in 2002

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ipod dock installed in 2002

I decided to install my new 3rd generation iPod (with the docking connection) using the standard Apple dock.

Here's the result:

Since I have the Bose 6 disc in-dash changer (so I can't get RCA inputs into it), I had to use a hardwired fm modulator.

The modulator and an extra cigarette lighter jack are both mounted behind the dash. So everything is out of the way. Here's what it looks like from the passenger footwell:

Old 03-02-2004, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by dbett
I decided to install my new 3rd generation iPod (with the docking connection) using the standard Apple dock.

Here's the result:

Since I have the Bose 6 disc in-dash changer (so I can't get RCA inputs into it), I had to use a hardwired fm modulator.

The modulator and an extra cigarette lighter jack are both mounted behind the dash. So everything is out of the way. Here's what it looks like from the passenger footwell:

Is that the standard dock for the ipod. Also how did you go about mounting it?
Old 03-02-2004, 07:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That is the standard Apple dock. Although, I sanded it with 1000 grit sandpaper and spray painted it several times with plastic safe black spray paint (from Lowes). Unfortunately, the paint still didn't stick well to the edges in a few spots (that's the white lines that look like glare in the pictures). I may take some extra black car touch up paint and try to cover those spots up. But, for now, it's not too noticable (and I didn't feel like waiting another day to put a fourth coat of spray paint on ).

As far as mounting the dock...That was the hardest part. I originally hoped I could mount it hidden in the ashtray/change pocket and have it accesible when the door was opened. But after a lot of dremel work, it wouldn't work. Mostly, the angle simply didn't work - the door doesn't open enough.

So I removed the guts of the ashtray (saving the door) and cut out the slot in the dash below the ashtray door. I also had to trim the ashtray door bottom a little. The dock is then secured behind the door by a metal bracket that I glued a piece of rubber to so it wouldn't scratch into the dock. The bracket holds the mount down from above and is bolted to the side of the plastic "pocket" piece that originally held the ashtray assembly. In addition, because the pocket piece is curved at the bottom, I used double stick tape to attach a rubber strip to the bottom rear part of the dock. That elevates the back of the dock so it sits level (and is held tight between the bottom rubber strip and the metal bracket).

Then I drilled four holes through the side of that plastic pocket piece and into the door. Small screws then hold the door in place (which is needed since the original ashtray piece that the door was originally snapped onto was removed to make room for the dock and wiring). Between the door, the metal bracket and the rubber strip, the dock doesn't move at all.