Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Popping my cherry. . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Zog

Popping my cherry. . . .

Alright I'm going to attempt my first stereo install this weekend, I picked up a blaupunkt mp3/cd player at crutchfield for $138 last weekend. So I've got the kit and the antenna adaptor and all that fun stuff that comes from crutchfield, and I'm going to pick up the steering wheel adaptor before the weekend.

Long and short of it, is there anything special I need to look out for?? I've gotten instructions from the FAQ to remove the stock unit. The directions for using the steering wheel adaptor doo-dad (that I found in the FAQ) was a little vague, though I'm assuming that there will be decent directions w/ the adaptor.

SO. . .. Let me hear it, any tips before I get started. Thanks so much for the help, I can't stand the thought of paying someone to do this, since I think I can do it. . . .
Old 03-02-2004, 06:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

what blaupunkt h.u. did u buy?

and is ur car bose?
Old 03-02-2004, 06:17 PM
!OG SNES OG!

If your system is Bose, and your speakers are amplified at the speaker, you may get ground noise due to the 'double'amplification'.

I don't remember exactly what needs to be done, but check it out (do a search if you have paid the $20 donation), and if not, ask a local car audio store to tell you/sell you what you might need to prevent this - I THINK it's called a ground loop adaptor/isolator or something like that.

Also - be aware that you may eventually want to invest in an amplifier and rewire/install your own speakers, as many headunits don't put out a ton of signal power.

Just some thoughts. Hope it goes well, and good luck. I just finished RaamMat'ing my trunk and reinstalling my system, so it's fun, but tedious.

Old 03-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Zog

I don't have blose so that's one less thing to worry about.

Kashtharipper: I picked up a blaupunkt "phoenix" on closeout at the crutchfield store in harrisonburg, va. For $138, I couldn't pass it up. THey had some amazing deals going on this closeout deal, home or car audio, anyone w/ in driving distance should check it out.

HOLY S. I didn't think the pac-swi would be that damned expensive. I did find it on the net for $54 shipped, crutchfield wants $69 for it. I may be using the wireless remote instead. . .
Old 03-03-2004, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by zoggfatha
I don't have blose so that's one less thing to worry about.

Kashtharipper: I picked up a blaupunkt "phoenix" on closeout at the crutchfield store in harrisonburg, va. For $138, I couldn't pass it up. THey had some amazing deals going on this closeout deal, home or car audio, anyone w/ in driving distance should check it out.

HOLY S. I didn't think the pac-swi would be that damned expensive. I did find it on the net for $54 shipped, crutchfield wants $69 for it. I may be using the wireless remote instead. . .

yeah i paid $54 and i havent installed mine yet. i really dont feel like pulling out the dash again and installing it. it looks like it will be a pita.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:31 PM
Zog

Yeah I thought about doing it later, but I know I won't want to, I'm going to go ahead and bite the bullet.