Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Where did you put the sub and amp in your Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 09:19 AM

Where did you put the sub and amp in your Maxima?

I am trying to figure out the best place to put the sub and amp in a 95 GLE. Right now I'm thinking back in the right corner next to the trunk pass-through. I think I am going to try putting velcro strips from office depot on the sub box and the plastic part of the back of the trunk to keep the sub still. What do you think of this? This leaves the question of where the amp should go. It has a digital display (Alpine MRD-M300) so I need it somewhere easily accessible. Only place i could think of is on the sub box itself but I don't want to put holes in the box or the car if I don't have to.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:40 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

the box idea sound good. i would consider using a carpeted mdf board on for the amp. mount it vertically on the left side of the trunk where there is a little indentation, that would work well for ur application if u ask me
Old 03-09-2004, 11:01 AM

Hey, nismos14, those SE Rims you sold me last summer have been great.

Is there a way I could mount that mdf board on the left side of the trunk without drilling holes in the trunk? What I might do is do the carpeted mdf board thing for the amp, then stick the mdf on top (or maybe on the side if there isn't enough room) of the sub box with lots of heavy duty velcro. About how much do you think it would be to get the mdf board and carpeting from a hardware store?

Originally Posted by nismos14
the box idea sound good. i would consider using a carpeted mdf board on for the amp. mount it vertically on the left side of the trunk where there is a little indentation, that would work well for ur application if u ask me
Old 03-09-2004, 11:45 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by pscmj84
Hey, nismos14, those SE Rims you sold me last summer have been great.

Is there a way I could mount that mdf board on the left side of the trunk without drilling holes in the trunk? What I might do is do the carpeted mdf board thing for the amp, then stick the mdf on top (or maybe on the side if there isn't enough room) of the sub box with lots of heavy duty velcro. About how much do you think it would be to get the mdf board and carpeting from a hardware store?

glad to hear it buddy! mdf boards usually come in large sheets i believe mine was something like $25? carpet usually sells in large rolls so that might be a little costly... im not sure if you could get a small roll or something you could probably go to a stereo shop and buy a small piece from them, if not i may have a board that would fit in the left side for you in a couple of weeks, its carpeted but has some mounting holes in it. you could just get L brackets and bolt it down on the right rear of the trunk, that is honestly what i would do
Old 03-09-2004, 12:22 PM

I've got an idea. Since this isn't going to be part of the box or anything (just need something to put the amp on). I think just a 1' thick or so piece of wood spraypainted black might work. What do you think of that?

Originally Posted by nismos14
glad to hear it buddy! mdf boards usually come in large sheets i believe mine was something like $25? carpet usually sells in large rolls so that might be a little costly... im not sure if you could get a small roll or something you could probably go to a stereo shop and buy a small piece from them, if not i may have a board that would fit in the left side for you in a couple of weeks, its carpeted but has some mounting holes in it. you could just get L brackets and bolt it down on the right rear of the trunk, that is honestly what i would do
Old 03-09-2004, 12:29 PM

just mount the amp on the top or back of the box and use some velcro to tape the box down. use lbrackets also. im in the process of bolting mine down i just need to fin da place to drill into the car so it holds.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:24 PM

my subs are right up against the rear seats with the amp mounted next to the box, puts lots of bass in the cabin
Old 03-09-2004, 01:30 PM

Does it matter much if you leave the pass through down?
Old 03-09-2004, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by pscmj84
Does it matter much if you leave the pass through down?
well i dont know about pass through but if you fold the seats down it def. makes a difference. however, my car just rattles even more.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
well i dont know about pass through but if you fold the seats down it def. makes a difference. however, my car just rattles even more.
4th generations only have a pass through, the seat doesn't fold down. With my pass through down there is maybe a bit more bass, a bit more rattling, but it doesn't make much of a difference. My system is not very powerful though.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What you think about putting the amp under the passenger seat? There's a few benefits of doing this: shorter power wire, slightly better climate control, less shock likely to be transmitted to the amp, horizontal mounting which is theoretically the ideal mounting configuration per the manufacturer, etc.

Check out my www for pictures of how I did it.