Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need help with mounting headunit in non stock locations

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 12:47 AM
Destroying The Hopes And Dreams of Honda Owners Everywhere!

Need help with mounting headunit in non stock locations

i have a 3rd gen max and i am in the process of installing a screen in the dash for a "carputer" project im working on. thing is i would want to relocate the headunit. where do u think would be the most feasible and "easy" place to mount it. i was thinking of mounting it in the console between the seats where the flippy armrest thing is located. if need be i will fabricate a new console from the shifter down to house the headunit etc. As of now,the din slots and the ash tray will be removed and fabricated to fit the screen and the computer leaving no place in the dash to place the radio. If anybody has relocated their headunits to other places like the glovebox etc. and could offer some suggestions that would be great. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Flipdoutmax93
i have a 3rd gen max and i am in the process of installing a screen in the dash for a "carputer" project im working on. thing is i would want to relocate the headunit. where do u think would be the most feasible and "easy" place to mount it. i was thinking of mounting it in the console between the seats where the flippy armrest thing is located. if need be i will fabricate a new console from the shifter down to house the headunit etc. As of now,the din slots and the ash tray will be removed and fabricated to fit the screen and the computer leaving no place in the dash to place the radio. If anybody has relocated their headunits to other places like the glovebox etc. and could offer some suggestions that would be great. Thanks.
What brand of HU do you have? Some mfrs sell wired remotes that you could mount in/on the dash. Also you will want to find out if it will play in a vertical position like that. The only other location you could put the HU is in the glovebox. But since you are refabricating the entire dash anyways, why not make a DIN slot below your screen? I am not familiar with '93 max dashbards tho.