Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Front Active Speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 05:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Front Active Speakers not working

I have a 1994 Maxima with the Active Speaker system. I'm trying to install a 1997 Nissan CD player. When I hooked up the new CD player, however, the front speakers would not work. When I adjusted the fader to the front and disconnected the Amp Power On cable I could hear faint audio from the front speakers. Therefore, they are getting signal - but the front amp isn't turning on for some reason. Is the newer CD player compatible with the Active System? I know the front amp is working because it works fine when I plug in my original tape deck. I'm using Metro harnesses, and I double checked all of my wiring - I can't figure out what's going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same EXACT problem... 1994 Maxima except I was installing a Sony CDX-F5500 HU, the rear speakers had perfect sound, but the front speakers wouldn't work. Just as agentriegel did, I adjusted the fader to the front, only to get a very faint sound from the front speakers. And yes I checked all the wiring, still don't know what the problem is.

If anyone can help or happens to see a topic that might help it'd be much appreciated.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Banned

Okay. There is only 1 amp in the active system, and it powers the rears. It's mounted under the rear deck betwwen the speakers. It seems strange that you both have problems with the fronts, most people have problems with the rears and the sh*ty amp. Your best bet would be to run new speaker wire from the Hu to the speakers. Also, which Hu are you using? If it's the Bose, that would explain it all, because Bose use a weird 1ohm signal that's not compatible with standard 4-8ohm setups. You would need an adapter that converts the signal.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm pretty sure that the 1994 factory Active HU amplifies the front speakers, but not the rear. In my car I only have one amp for the rear. I know that some Active Systems have two amps in the trunk, but my car, for some reason, only has one external amp -- which makes it almost impossible to get a new radio that will have a plug-and-play installation. The best way to install a CD player or anything is to get a Nissan add-on unit. I'm trying to figure out what Nissan/Clarion CD players are compatible with this type of setup. I think that the Clarion PN-2033I and PN-2089I stereos are compatible but I’m not sure. If anyone knows which are compatible any help would be appreciated.

Site briefly discusses the Active System:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/snarayan/wirecode.html

Site shows Nissan/Clarion radios:
http://www.carstereohelp.com/nissanBoseMax.htm
Old 07-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Banned

The Clarion might not be compatible. The 3rd gen add-on CD players were made by Sony. I think your best bet would be an aftermarket HU. While Sony and Clarion make decent aftermarket stuff, they are plaqued by the same problems as the Bose systems in our cars. The mass- produced factory stuff just plain sucks. I would get a HU, and run new speaker wire and be done with it. Just my .02.