Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

I think my amps are distorting... or maybe something else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 11:52 AM

I think my amps are distorting... or maybe something else?

First off... I'm not an audio expert and I didnt install the system, I had someone install it for me... I do know some basics of electrical components... Currently I have CDT components up front and CDT 2 ways out back... a Rockford Fosgate 4x125w amp... 2 Rockford Fosgate Punch H2 subs and a Lanzar 2000x2 amp...

Last week I took a trip up to Boston. On the way after about 3 hours of playing my system... nothing too loud just normal volume it started distoring... really badly. It was making a really bad whining noise that really was annoying. I couldnt play the music anymore. After letting the car sit for a little while everything sounded fine... after another hour or so of playing it started again. Whoever installed the system did not run the RCA and power wires on opposite sides I'm planning on doing that during the weekend.. but I never had that problem before. Not only was it whining but there was a loud crackling noise coming from the back whenever the high and low notes hit... anyone know what this is? Could it be the amps getting hot and distorting? Could it be because of the RCA's and power wire running on the same side? Help me please! I'm planning on taking a drive up to Maine this weekend and I'm hoping on fixing this before hand. Thanks everyone
Old 07-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IT sounds to me that it is an overheating problem. Especially if it plays fine for a while. Where are the amps mounted? Does it appear that they get proper ventilation?

I guess another thing is that it could be a power issue...if you are running it for a long time and the power to the amps starts to diminish, that could cause some distortion too. You can hook up a meter to the amp and see if the power to the amp stays constant or not.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:36 PM

The amps are mounted on top of the box in the trunk. THey have a few inches... maybe 4 - 5" of clearance before they hit the rear deck. I went back there and they were very hot to the touch... I tried to put the a/c on full blast and open up the center console so hopefully they'd get some cold air back there but no luck... I just dont want my amps to over heat and poof!
Old 07-05-2004, 01:34 PM

let us know how it turns out with the fan idea.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Sanduguero

Ant96GLE :

I think we are in the same boat, I had the same problem overheating on my eclipse 5422, after like an hour or 2 they will shut down, only my subs will sound, my inside components were dead, reason might be heat, humidity, you might have them bridge, or you have played them for a long time (which you said you dont) they are many reasons but try running the rca's and power separate, after that if you can get the amp free from the box move it inside and have it cooled while running them youll see if is the heat, must of the time i think that i dont play continous music loud but i do, so the amps might be just working double time...especially during summer months, never had that problem in the winter time.

Playero
Old 07-05-2004, 07:28 PM

naw go to a computer store and buy a 180mm 12v fan. its a computer fan. and mount it near the amps. make it so they blow over them. the whole trunk are is to big to expect the fan to suck the heat away. i just gorund the fan and put the positive lead on the remote wire. so whenever the amp turns on so does the fan. and man those little things blow some air. i am shocked you amp just doesn't power off but oh well. if you couldn't leaver your hand on them for 1 min then they are too hot.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:08 PM

^^^ how much are those?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:31 AM

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0167132 some come with 2 wires some with 4 and an adapter. either will work just cut of the harness and use the red and black wire.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:06 AM

4 to 5 inches should be enough for that RF amp. i had mine mounted on the top of my box for awhile too, and even in the crazy houston heat + moderate to high volumes, it never distorted or cut out. everything is wired correctly right? amp not wired too low of an impedance?
Old 07-06-2004, 06:42 AM

Playero: Yea its only after I play it for a long time where it gets hot where you cant touch the amps anymore... especially the sub amp. Its got to be the heat, its never done that before. However when I do blast the music for a while, it will do the same thing again. And yes the sub amp is bridged. Its a 2 channel but bridged to one at 2 ohms... ( I asked the guy how he set it up and I looked at the connection) I dont know if I should run them at 4 ohms on each channel now... fortunately I do know how to wire the subs for that.

Fosgate Fan: I measured the height yesterday and I have more space than I thought! I've got atleast 6 inches of room so I know its not the space. I dont know about the impedance though...

Rider and thekenone: Rider gave me the idea of the fans so I think I'm gonna wire something up probably on Friday when I have some time off.

Thanks everyone for your replies... I guess the only thing I'm going to try now is 2 fans... one for each amp.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:57 AM

Ant....a 4 ch class A/B amp running at 4ohms should'nt run that hot, if its going into thermal protection
then where you have it mounted doesn't allow sufficient ventilation under normal operation- specially this time of year, its too hot and the air is too dense

If the amp has heat sinks, and you choose to get fans- do not place fans directly on the amp-this will just send heat back into the amps (i've know
been there done that with my Kicker ZR series) If you can position them further away will allow for better circulation
Old 07-06-2004, 08:44 AM

Have you checked your gains on your amps? I know it sounds like something very simple, but I have had problems when mine were incorrectly set (by Circuit City on my 3rd gen), one being that the amps got really hot. The only other time my amp shut down was when I went on a long trip and I had some luggage and jackets on top of my amp, a Kicker ZX460 (only time I had a problem with this amp). I still have that amp, and I have owned it since 96 or 97 and the thing does not quit, good purchase
Old 07-07-2004, 12:19 PM

I havent checked the gains for my amps, where would I be able to do that? If any guys here in NYC are able to let me know.

A question on the fans, should I position them on top of the Amps facing away from them to drive the heat away or should I position them a few inches away to blow air ONTO the amps?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:31 PM

look on the sides of the amp. there should be a little **** labeled 'gain'. make sure it's not set too high