Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Connecting an IPOD through BOSE Head Unit??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just installed PXNI on my 2006 Nissan Maxima, Factory Satellite Sirius 3-month free demo...

Product works for Auxiliary 1 only and randomly (Auxiliary 2 doesn't function at all).
Auxiliary 1 will work when SR (Satellite Radio) mode is not left on Presets ABC upon startup.
If SR mode is left on any of Presets ABC upon shutdown, Sirius Satellite overides Auxiliary 1 when the vehicle is turned back on. Then, pressing the Satellite button on Preset B only enables Sirius Satellite,
not Auxiliary 1 as expected. Radio info sometimes displays ACQUIRING (when Sat button is pressed) and does switch to Auxiliary 1, but sometimes it doesn't. This is completely random. I've tried many different combinations, have been successful and then tried the method again only to find out that its not working this time.

My only conclusion is that the unit is defective. It does its job but inconsistantly.. All other radio function are fine.

The instructions state specifically a selection of 'Preset B' along with a preset SR station OR a press of the SAT button (if in AM/FM) should enable Auxiliary 1. This is not consistant.

Either I am misinformned or have a defective unit.

Anyone have a similar experience???
Old 02-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

guys I just got the USASpec adapter. And for some reason I get no bass at all from the sub. When I play the same song from the cd its perfect, but when played through an ipod sounds horrible. Its directly wired. Could I have a defective USASpec unit? How is the bass on the ones you have installed? Right its like the subwoofer is not even turned on. But I know it is. Any ideaS?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:15 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by zgrm100
guys I just got the USASpec adapter. And for some reason I get no bass at all from the sub. When I play the same song from the cd its perfect, but when played through an ipod sounds horrible. Its directly wired. Could I have a defective USASpec unit? How is the bass on the ones you have installed? Right its like the subwoofer is not even turned on. But I know it is. Any ideaS?

I had that problem and found that the plug wasn't all the way pushed into the IPOD...I'm sure you checked that but you never know!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:58 PM

I was doing a search and i found this item from crutchfield... it says it will connect through the changer controls for those who have 2k-2k1 bose... http://www.crutchfield.com/S-d7lr5GQ...p?I=581PA11NiS
Old 03-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by xboxboosta
Just installed PXNI on my 2006 Nissan Maxima, Factory Satellite Sirius 3-month free demo...

Product works for Auxiliary 1 only and randomly (Auxiliary 2 doesn't function at all).
Auxiliary 1 will work when SR (Satellite Radio) mode is not left on Presets ABC upon startup.
If SR mode is left on any of Presets ABC upon shutdown, Sirius Satellite overides Auxiliary 1 when the vehicle is turned back on. Then, pressing the Satellite button on Preset B only enables Sirius Satellite,
not Auxiliary 1 as expected. Radio info sometimes displays ACQUIRING (when Sat button is pressed) and does switch to Auxiliary 1, but sometimes it doesn't. This is completely random. I've tried many different combinations, have been successful and then tried the method again only to find out that its not working this time.

My only conclusion is that the unit is defective. It does its job but inconsistantly.. All other radio function are fine.

The instructions state specifically a selection of 'Preset B' along with a preset SR station OR a press of the SAT button (if in AM/FM) should enable Auxiliary 1. This is not consistant.

Either I am misinformned or have a defective unit.

Anyone have a similar experience???

I installed an AAI-NIS2 on a Sirius enabled 2005 Maxima and it works as advertised Preset B button 1 - is Aux 1
Preset B button 2 - is Aux 2
Preset B buttons 3-6 reserved for am/fm only.
Presets A and C can be used for Sat and/or AM/FM

Sound quality is way better then using a wired fm modulator but a notch below the sound coming out of the Cd player. Could be the Ipod that I am using or the Harmon Kardon Drive and Play unit.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So, does the non-Bose head unit have any place for a new connection?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the USA Spec installed with my 2k maxima. You have control of five set playlists on your controls and the the sixth plays all tracks on ipod. You can manually select all your playlists on ipod. One problem was the engine whine coming through the speakers. I contacted USA Spec directly and they sent me a free whine filter that fixed the problem. Best way to connect to stereo.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:17 PM

Hello there, what is the difference between
PXNI (http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=754)
and
PA11-NIS????(http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=701)
the two of them are sold at www.discountcarstereo.com
Like all of you I'm looking to have my IPOD NANO plug into my 06 Maxima, Bose system, no nav, Sat radio pre-wired.
Anyone can email pics of how to remove the radio in order to install peripheral??
Thanks.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any ideas on a 2k2 Maxima? The bose 6-disc in dash changer throws a wrench into the gears b/c it doesn't have the SAT/AUX/Ext Changer option. I don't want to revert to the FM modulator!
Old 05-14-2006, 12:38 AM
Banned

my gf got me a Neo Ion as a bday gift. I installed it today. result? i love it!
it charges the ipod, automatically pauses ipod when engine is turned off, plays back where it was paused when engine is turned on. you can still use steering wheel control to control ipod.
it just has every features what i wanted.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:54 AM

Hi there, how difficult is to install the Neo Ion???? Did you do it yourself??Looks like it is a pain to remove the radio.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jorgep03
Hi there, how difficult is to install the Neo Ion???? Did you do it yourself??Looks like it is a pain to remove the radio.
took me less than 30 min for the installation. very easy to remove the headunit. all u need is a screwdriver.

here's instruction:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=322261

i just installed neo ion on my friend's 02 TL-s...that is a pain in the *** to remove the headunit...
Old 05-20-2006, 12:20 AM

Thanks for the info, I will consider buying Neo Ion. Around $200 right??

Thanks
Old 05-28-2006, 09:41 PM

Usa-spec

Originally Posted by rio28
I have the USA Spec installed with my 2k maxima. You have control of five set playlists on your controls and the the sixth plays all tracks on ipod. You can manually select all your playlists on ipod. One problem was the engine whine coming through the speakers. I contacted USA Spec directly and they sent me a free whine filter that fixed the problem. Best way to connect to stereo.
Did you USA-SPEC interface work right away? I have a 4th Gen (99.5) with a Bose (OEM) head unit. I plugged the interface into the back, but nothing happened.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:12 PM

would this work with 2k2 bose hu with 6 disc cd changer in the trunk and a factory navi
Old 05-31-2006, 05:47 PM

Yes

Originally Posted by chapscalyx
would this work with 2k2 bose hu with 6 disc cd changer in the trunk and a factory navi
Yes! One of two things. You tear apart your dash and connect the interface behind your HU (disconnect the changer). Or, you disconnect the changer in the trunk (if that's where it is), and connect the interface in the trunk.

I found out why my iPod didn't work. I didn't disconnect the battery. Somehow disconnecting the battery reboots the HU and will recognize the iPod interface. It WORKED! I can control my iPod with my changer controls. The only thing it doesn't do is label the tracks on the HU display. However, it lets me have 6 folders Nissan 1 thru 6 (cd's). I can load-up the folders with different genre.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by VTmaximaVT
Thanks for the info, guys. I almost bought a IPOD with FM modulator(almost 90 bucks from bestbuy) today. good thing I decided to think more. my friend has IPod with FM modulator and the sound quality was bad...so I decided to think one more time...

I have one question tho, these adapter won't make the factory screen able to display song title and etc, right? If the factory screen displays the song titles and stuff, i would get this adapter right now.

well...even if it won't display, i think i'd get this adapter anyways...

thanks for the info, guys!!
On my 4th Gen's HU, I don't have song titles. I have 6 iTune folders. They show-up as CD's on the display. CD 6 plays all songs. The other five are for different genre's.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:23 AM

Non-Bose HU

Originally Posted by CrunkAlpahmale
So, does the non-Bose head unit have any place for a new connection?
Only if you have a port for a CD changer. However, you still have to see it the interface is compatible with your stereo.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:26 AM

OEM Bose

Originally Posted by maximage
If you have a Bose (OEM) system, don't get your hopes up. I have a 4G iPod (20G) and the only quick solution was cassette adaptor (hell, it was $2).

I contacted another POD vendor and they only have an adaptor that connects to the SAT input of the Factory BOSE. Its interface is RCA stereo jacks (inputs) only. You'd have to get a mini to RCA stereo cable and run it under the console to the stereo. And you will not get controls (other than volume).

Unless you put in a 3rd party headunit (with CD changer connection like a Pioneer...) the NEO is not recommended.

Seems to me that Nissan needs a "demand" letter to incorporate a choice of audio input options. "no highs, no lows, must be Bose"
Your OEM Bose must be have CD changer capability. Mine works like a champ. I have a 20 gig iPod, which now rides in the glove box. I control it through the HU controls. It sounds awesome!
Old 06-02-2006, 07:41 AM

Take a look at USA-SPEC PAS11-NIS sold by Crutchfield.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:44 AM

It's made by Clarion with the Bose name on it. Every vendor recognizes it as OEM Bose.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:48 AM

iPod Resetting

Originally Posted by akaxmrxhammer
my ipod doesn't turn on sometimes but instead the apple logo appears on the screen and stays on for awhile. it only happens when the battery's completely dead and try to turn it on after i recharge it.
When you get the logo the iPod is resetting itself. Kind of rebooting.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:50 AM

Get an interface

Originally Posted by ceehan
Anybody successfully install their ipod in their head units?? I want to know which is the best method. Already tried the tape thing and my tape player kept spitting out the RCA brand tape thing. I just want to know if anyone has pictures or a manual on how to open up the head unit so i can hardwire the ipod...

i just need some help, thanks
The BEST method is installing an interface.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:06 AM

Wiring?

Originally Posted by zgrm100
Might be the wiring. My USA-SPEC works and sounds great.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by jester7377
I was doing a search and i found this item from crutchfield... it says it will connect through the changer controls for those who have 2k-2k1 bose... http://www.crutchfield.com/S-d7lr5GQ...p?I=581PA11NiS
Yes. It does. Don't forget to connect the power cables also. That was my mistake. I only plugged into the cd changer port and nothing happend. I figured it out and it works great.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Like gringo I have an in-dash 6 disc changer so I'm left with few options. I have a 2003 Maxima GLE with a Bose head unit. I do not have an external changer. My head unit does not have a "SAT" button.

I just need an auxillary input to connect my Creative Zen Sleek MP3 player. Cassette adapters have horrible sound and there are too many radio stations in my area for successful use of an FM transmitter. I'm not keen on an FM modulator.

Is there ANYTHING out there? I've tried Soundgate's AUXNISSV3 (replaced the AUXNISS), but it didn't work because my head unit didn't have the 8-pin port. PUH-LEEZ help!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hope someone can help me - I've read thru this thread entirely but not 100% sure it applies to me.

I'm thisclose to purchasing a new 2006 SL with Bose & Navi but no SAT - it does have a SAT button but this car doesn't have the option installed. I really need mp3 playback so I think my best bet is to hook an Ipod Nano to the factory stereo. I would like the steering wheel controls to work for volume and changing songs. I understand that nothing will get the song info to display on the navi screen.

With this in mind, would the PAC AAI-NIS2 work for me?

Also, is there anything else I need to buy?

Finally would any other solution work 100% confirmed??

Thanks a ton in advance for your help.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Back from the dead

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=411662

Works for 4th gen bose, i havent tried any other model.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok after a ton of research, I've found that the AII-NIS2 will NOT allow me to control the ipod from my steering wheel or radio unless i get the SWI-X - and even then the retailers that I contacted won't verify that it works that way on a 2006 with Bose and Navi and no Sat.

However the Neo Ion WILL allow me to do this. Since my car is Sat ready but doesn't have Sat installed, I can plug it into the Sat port on my radio and give me full controls.

Hope this helps anyone else that is looking.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:15 AM

Links from above didn't work correctly...fixed:
Peripherals PXNI 2003-06 Nissan/Infiniti Dual Auxiliary Input Adapter
USASpec PA11-NIS 1999-06 Nissan/Infiniti Aux input + Interface for iPod™
Neo iOn (specifically for 2004 Maxima...although I'm sure the P/N is the same)

...and I'm still a little confused as to which you guys thought worked best of the 3.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by DRod
...and I'm still a little confused as to which you guys thought worked best of the 3.
:attention
Old 06-19-2006, 07:45 PM

wat i was gunna get the neo ion but am i hearing this right? it might not work for the 2005 maxima?
Old 06-23-2006, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by T-One
Yes! One of two things. You tear apart your dash and connect the interface behind your HU (disconnect the changer). Or, you disconnect the changer in the trunk (if that's where it is), and connect the interface in the trunk.

I found out why my iPod didn't work. I didn't disconnect the battery. Somehow disconnecting the battery reboots the HU and will recognize the iPod interface. It WORKED! I can control my iPod with my changer controls. The only thing it doesn't do is label the tracks on the HU display. However, it lets me have 6 folders Nissan 1 thru 6 (cd's). I can load-up the folders with different genre.
do you have the part number and are they available at crutchfield
thanks
Old 06-24-2006, 08:55 AM
Donating i30 Owner

im gonna purchase the unit that plugs intot eh cd changer port on the back of the 2001 qx4 HU that im using cause of the navi.

im actaully talking to Mad Mike (the guy that is on pimp my ride and formerly west coast customs) to help me create a unit which will help me switch between teh cd changer and i pod unit running off the single cd changer port i have.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:43 PM

I bought the USA-SPEC iPod Interface for $139.99 at Crutchfield. There is another brand (iPod2car Peripheral) for $199.99. I no longer use my CD's. My iPod is in the glove box.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:10 PM

I bought the USA-SPEC iPod Interface for $139.99 at Crutchfield. There is another brand (iPod2car Peripheral) for $199.99. I no longer use my CD's. My iPod is in the glove box.
Crutchfield says that the USA-SPEC iPod Interface works for a 1999-up Maxima... is the BOSE in a 99 Maxima different from that in a 95 Maxima? I thought that they were the same, but I guess not... ??

I looked up the iPod2car Peripheral and it does not even include the Maxima in its compatibility list... the only Nissan that it supposedly supports is the Quest... ??? http://peripheralelectronics.com/pdf...car_App2-2.pdf

So... so us 95-98 guys have any hope of getting a true interface that will allow the iPod to charge and use the existing stereo controls to control the tracks on the iPod?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by rattili
I just got this for my 2k1 I30 w/Bose. I was told this works. I will hopefully get it before next weekend!
AAAGHHH this one says that it is compatible with 98-03!

No love for the 95-97 now! lol... is the BOSE mechanically different from 95 to 98 or even 99?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:51 PM

Usa-spec

Originally Posted by speedemn
Crutchfield says that the USA-SPEC iPod Interface works for a 1999-up Maxima... is the BOSE in a 99 Maxima different from that in a 95 Maxima? I thought that they were the same, but I guess not... ??

I looked up the iPod2car Peripheral and it does not even include the Maxima in its compatibility list... the only Nissan that it supposedly supports is the Quest... ??? http://peripheralelectronics.com/pdf...car_App2-2.pdf

So... so us 95-98 guys have any hope of getting a true interface that will allow the iPod to charge and use the existing stereo controls to control the tracks on the iPod?
;ll

Check out the USA-Spec web site. I think you'll find what your looking for.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:35 PM

;ll

Check out the USA-Spec web site. I think you'll find what your looking for.
Nope... already looked there... Nissan PA11-NIS is for 1999-2006 ... clearly stated here: http://www.usaspec.com/ipod.html
Old 07-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Droppin logs

I recently installed a Peripheral IPod2Car in a buddys 04 Silverado SS with Bose and it worked pretty well.

Quick Reply: Connecting an IPOD through BOSE Head Unit??