Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.
View Poll Results: Which SAT?
I have Sirius
37.23%
I have XM
20.92%
I want Sirius
24.47%
I want XM
6.74%
Free radio is fine for me.
10.64%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

SAT radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 10:22 PM

I have both XM and Sirius. I have a dedicated Pioneer XM tuner in my car, and a Sportster in my house. The only thing I don't like about XM is the playlists. Most of the music channels repeat on a cycle - that is most likely Clear Channel's doing. Sirius broadcasts are not run on a loop. XM and Sirius both rock my face though!!

Oh, by the way - I just got a Delphi MyFi for $0.00 from an employee accomodation deal through my company.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:11 AM

I just ordered a SkyFi2 pre-activated with 3 months service and the car kit for $90 tax and shipping included.

Friend gave me a promotional code.

A little off-topic: Where the hell do you guys mount these things (in a 4th gen)???

I've got a week to decide, and right now a vent is the only place that sticks out to me. I'd permanently mount it, but I really don't want to mess up my dash or any noticeable part of the interior.

Also, I would like to have the unit somewhere that passengers can see & reach it too - since they use my stereo more than I do.

OH. And I need to find out if the delphi antenna can be mounted inside the trunk or decklid - since I also cannot find a real good way to conceal the wire without kinking it or making the weatherstripping useless.

Thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by ScarfaceTHX
Also, I would like to have the unit somewhere that passengers can see & reach it too - since they use my stereo more than I do.

OH. And I need to find out if the delphi antenna can be mounted inside the trunk or decklid - since I also cannot find a real good way to conceal the wire without kinking it or making the weatherstripping useless.

Thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction.
Do a search for Bracketron brackets. They make vehicle specific mounts. Last time I checked there is a mount available for 4th gen Maxima that would locate the unit on the pass. side of the radio, and mounts behind the radio bezel using oem mounting points.

As for the antenna, you can place it on the rear decklid and it will receive signal just fine. You can remove the fabric on the rear decklid, drop the wire below and run it up front.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Donating i30 Owner

hey i wanna get a single din unit for xm from a honda or sumthign and wire it up.. to the stock bose through one of those connectors that turn the cd changer port into a aux port...

should i do this.. cause i hate those freaking mounted units.. im a sucker for a more OEMish look.. i dont liek to see those funky colored screens etc.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sirius Rocks

I love Sirius...I'm a huge NFL fan and I can listen to any game from either point of view...IE This weekend I was listening to the Jets v Steelers game, from the Jets point of view cuz I was rooting for them to win ( I'm a Pats fan and I need the Steelers to Lose)... For some unknown reason Fox and the powers that be decided to broadcast the SD v TB on the east coast? Hello?

Well the music stations rock as well and I'm counting the days till Howard is on Sirius. he is making a folder of all the skits he wants to do,but is waiting until he goes to sirius to do them!!!! Will be the best Radio EVER!!

Another thing you have to consider is they say Stern has between 12-15 million fans...and this is true...IN THE MARKETS he's in....he was in over 60 now down to 40 something...The REAL number is more like 40-50 MILLION fans...u do the math...

Does anyone know where I can buy the car Kit for my 2004 Maxima cheap, so i can use my Sat button ?

LOOK!! For those of you that are thinking about the satellite radio...well you can get it for free

goto www.sirius.com click on get sirius

and then click on sirius direct enter Promo code 035 you get a nice JVC pda style reciever and a car or home kit FREE with a one year paid subscription Type in "siriusbackstage" for the refferal ID $150 of free Equipment WooHoo!!

Good luck
Old 12-28-2004, 07:29 AM

Yes XM is cheaper but they charge you extra if you want to listen over the internet. Sirius includes that in their $12.99. So really it then beocmes a wash if you want that option.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone have any info to back up their statement that XM compresses equally across the board? I've had XM for about 6 months now and I can tell you from listening that that doesn't appear to be the case. If you tune to traffic you can tell that the peoples voices are compressed to maybe 16-24kb/sec. There's information on how XM gives more bandwidth to other channels on xmfan.com if you'd like to go look.

It seems like a wash but people on boards claim that XM has less repeats, more selection, and deep playlists. I had to make the decision 6 months ago and I demo'd sirius which seemed ok but I didn't like the repeats. At the time XM had no way of sampling their stuff but now you can get 3 days of online streaming for free to find out for yourself if you like them.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:26 AM

Just intalled my sirius radio and I am amazed at how much music I have to choose form. Wow. Its worther the $12/month. I'll never buy another CD again. Plus I have the music even out in the boonies where there are no radio stations.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:22 PM

I've been wanting XM for a long time. But there was a lot of BS behind getting the XM tuner for an Alpine HU. So I got the Sirius one because it was just one piece. And I tested it out when I drove to New Orleans...and I never played one CD. Best thing since Slice Bread!!! It is to me cause I am so tired of listening to the darn Radio stations all they do is talk, talk, talk!!!!! I love Sirius selections of music and talk stations. And they only stations, which are a few, that loop their music are the ones that play the popular music. All the other ones I haven't heard the same song yet!!!!
Old 02-17-2005, 07:02 PM

I am Puerto Rican and have XM in my 2000 max and Sirius in my 2005 max. I listen to the Latin stations on both, however, I like the Tropical station # 92 on Sirius more than the Caliete station # 94 on XM.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:29 PM
will fly for food

Originally Posted by NJMAX
I am Puerto Rican and have XM in my 2000 max and Sirius in my 2005 max. I listen to the Latin stations on both, however, I like the Tropical station # 92 on Sirius more than the Caliete station # 94 on XM.
caliente reminds me of the being on the beach in the bahamas
Old 03-01-2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Micah95GLE
Last time I checked, XM was $2.00 less per month and was commercial-free on the music channels. I don't care about Howard Stern. Sirius is partly owned by Sony. I hate Sony. My preference is XM.
Starting April 2nd you get to pay the same price as sirius with NO talent!! It really is starting to be such an easy decision, sirius is the way to go!! all my friends have traded in their xm receivers for the sportster and LOVE sirius.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:27 AM
SuPeRmOd

I finally have SIRIUS installed an oem unit off an 05. have the mini Terk on my rear deck. if i'm on thick wooded roads, it does do a seldom split sec. "skip" since it's not on my roof. these same roads cause major static for FM radio though. but last night i was in a parking garage and held a strong signal (the sides were open but there wasn't much clearance) and no interruption.

I love SIRIUS! so many stations... I think the Max will get more miles now. gotta love my display screen showing sport scores, station #, name, song artist and title all at once
Old 03-05-2005, 10:31 PM

Yup...Got the official letter from XM today. Its service is goin up to $12.95. But you get the online stuff free and you get some premium channels free. Who cares really, thats why theres two. One for either of your tastes.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:36 PM

Planning on getting Sirius in a few weeks. Have a friend that sells car audio stuff, getting a Clarion deck with the sat receiver for only $140. I cannot wait, my commute will be so much better!
Old 03-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i like xm radio.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had Sirius for just about 3 years. Love it - it' ROCKS! I'll never go back to regular radio!
Old 03-12-2005, 08:44 PM
SuPeRmOd

oh I'm LOVIN' the free online music streaming! hooked my PC to my Stereo system and I have SAT radio at home too! Since my tuner is integrated in my 04, which I plan to keep 4EvAr, I got the lifetime for $500 subscription. Think about it, I basically paid ahead for about 3 years worth and got free service for the life of my car!

SIRIUS =

oh and the Bass and clarity is amazing. you would swear my oem Bose unit included 10"s instead of only 8"s
Old 03-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looking for info on SAT with Bose - 05 Maxima

Anyone have satellite radio through their Bose stereo? Interested in how it works, how satisfied, any regrets, etc.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2005, 08:29 PM
SuPeRmOd

read my post right above you?
Old 05-21-2005, 07:25 AM

Hey MismoMax80, what kind of Sirius radio unit did u get, adn were exact did u place ur antenna.
Were would anyone say woudl be a good place to place the antenna on a 99 MAx with no sunroof. A place to conceal it but also maximize its frequency and get good reception.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:08 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Javy_MaxGLE
Hey MismoMax80, what kind of Sirius radio unit did u get, adn were exact did u place ur antenna.
Were would anyone say woudl be a good place to place the antenna on a 99 MAx with no sunroof. A place to conceal it but also maximize its frequency and get good reception.
I have the oem Clarion unit from the Nissan factory, so that doesn't help you.

but I placed my antenna on my rear deck with velcro. It works well since my seats fold down and my tuner is under my rear deck. I get a minor interruption seldomly when in wooded areas. this hasn't been bad so far, but if it gets worse I will place on my roof on the rear or maybe glue it to the trunk (aluminum).

I installed the Sporster in my friend's truck. I searched for promo codes and found it for $100 on the Sirius site. It sells for up to $200 elsewhere. That's nice if you want to spend $50 more for the home adapter to get all stations inside work or home. It work well and the display scrolls. it comes with a built in FM modulator. around here there was always a little static so he got the cassette adapter at RadioShck for like $10.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:31 AM

NismoMax80,

Did you install the factory unit yourself? And if so was it difficult? I am thinking about adding it, but the local dealerships want about 150 for installation.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:18 PM
SuPeRmOd

i installed it and sent you the file. best mod i know of for my 04.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

First post on this site...

Will be purchasing a Sirius PNP, either the new Sportster Replay or Audiovox PNP3. Does anyone have pix of where they installed their PNP? Looking for suggestions. THANKS!
Old 06-19-2005, 11:45 AM
pjalst

Psssssssssssst By Sirius stock.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:14 AM

I finally installed a Kenwood KDC-MP528 w/ C719 (10 disk CD changer) and SR901 (Sirius radio tuner) into my 02 Maxima. It sounds MUCH better than the stock HU but it could use some more bass.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:35 PM

im going sirius
Old 06-29-2005, 08:56 PM

My first post also... same request: I have an Audiovox PNP and am looking for suggestions on where to install the tuner in my new (to me) '02 SE.

And if you want, feel free to throw out comments/opinions on FM Modulators vs. direct line. I don't have the BOSE system or the "CD/CHG" button (only "CD"), so to get a direct line, I think I'd need an aftermarket head unit. Lots more $$, but it might just be a good excuse to integrate my ipod as well...

Thanks all!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:41 PM

Factory unit install

NismoMax80,

I'm interested in using the OEM unit in my 2004 Max but the dealership want $450 to install either Sirius or XM. Could you send me some information on how you installed the factory unit (tuner/adapter to buy, antenna to buy, installation instructions, etc.)? For $450, seems worth my time to see if I can install it myself. Thanks.

bar7597@yahoo.com
Old 07-07-2005, 02:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sportster in 98 Max with Bose

I have the SIRIUS Sportster in a 98 MAx with the Stock Bose System. It sounds great and I haven't listened to a CD since. I currently use a Cassette adapter. It sounds great, but it really makes for a unprofessional looking interior. Does any body have any information on connecting directly to the CD changer input?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Back from Hibernation

I want to throw my Sirius out the window. Just my experience that it sounds horrible/staticy, distorted, with ambient noise. Some songs/stations sound better than other at different times. I'm pretty confident I installed it correctly. Either a bad unit, or a nice stereo brings it out. Mine is hooked up through the aux inputs. The same one I use for my DVd signal, which doesn't sound crappy....

Just my one negative experience.....
Old 08-04-2005, 01:28 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Stevie, what kind of HU do you have? I know that Alpine's 1st gen sirius tuners were all bad news...
Old 08-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Stevie, what kind of HU do you have? I know that Alpine's 1st gen sirius tuners were all bad news...
a non-Sat ready Eclipse cd8053

I hope my 8455 is a diff story...
Old 08-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BBOYSTEVIE
I want to throw my Sirius out the window. Just my experience that it sounds horrible/staticy, distorted, with ambient noise. Some songs/stations sound better than other at different times. I'm pretty confident I installed it correctly. Either a bad unit, or a nice stereo brings it out. Mine is hooked up through the aux inputs. The same one I use for my DVd signal, which doesn't sound crappy....

Just my one negative experience.....
Mine too is correctly installed etc., and I experence similar problems. I believe this is do to me having the ghetto "play through the radio" head unit. I'm sure with a properly installed Sat radio ready head unit it wouldn't be an issue
Old 08-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Back from Hibernation

Its an Eclipse 8053, and I'm using an "Act" Stream Jockey Plug and play reciever, in through the aux input.

I don't even want to get started. Makes me angry. Cannot listen to it. Makes me go bonkers
Old 10-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
Yes XM is cheaper, more customers and commercial free Music. But it has been out a lot longer than Sirius, meaning most of that audience did not have a choice when they joined. Sirius is growing faster customer, technology, and service wise than XM has. It is now offered by more auto manuacturers and is completely commercial free. It also is totally original SAT broadcasts. XM recycles some old broadcasts heard on "regular" radio. Plus Sirius sat dishes revole instead of staying static (XM) in one loaction above the earth, resulting in less dropped/faded service.
Now with exclusive rights to the NFL, NBA, NHL, and Stern, it's only going to grow faster aquiring more exclusive services.
This is the exact reason i sold my xm unit. THey took about a month to finally admit that after the hurricane (Im in va, no reason i should have been Affected for so long ) they lost some repeaters and had no idea how long it would be until they got it back online. Im getting the sireeus from don when i get back and calling it a day.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Keep buying Sirius radio everyone. I have stock in them and waiting for it to rise.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:41 AM

I have sirius through my Alpine HU. I love it even though they recently dumped one of my favorite channels (Wax 42). Friend of mine drives an Escalade w/ XM...the channel selection on XM is good but not as extensive as Sirius IMHO. I NEVer lose the signal unless I am in an underground garage (and even then sometimes it still comes through) or under a heavy metal structure (like at the pump at a large gas station). I do alot of road trips to some pretty remote places where regular FM doesn't stand a chance but the SAT comes in loud and clear. I also like the fact that I can listen to Sirius online. If I had it to do all over again I would go with Sirius again.

P.S. looking at buying the stock too.....what's the current price? (lol)
Old 10-30-2005, 10:44 PM

quick question????

anyone have the starmate replay? or the sportster replay? im in the market for sirius and ive narrowed it down to those two models. or you recommend a certain receiver.

also if i were to purchase the home kit do i have to pay the extra $6.99 or just the $12.95 for the one receiver and be able to use it at home too?

thanks to the org for helping me make my decision.

Quick Reply: SAT radio