Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.
View Poll Results: Which SAT?
I have Sirius
37.23%
I have XM
20.92%
I want Sirius
24.47%
I want XM
6.74%
Free radio is fine for me.
10.64%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

SAT radio

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 11:42 AM
drag racing is for wussies

I recently made the switch from XM to Sirius due to the fact that XM plays the same old **** over and over again. They chose to kill their trance/dance station- 82 The System, in favor of Xmas carrolls. I am a big dance music freak, own 100s of CDs, thousands of MP3 mixes and songs with all kinds of dance beats.... and XM has killed one channel that kept me from switching to Sirius.

I was a subscriber for over 3 years and had a old school Alpine XM ready unit that I bought back in 2001. It was one of the 1st Ai-Net ready CD players, and few months down the road I picked up a 6 disk MP3 changer from Alpine, and their XM box with Trek Antena. At 1st I loved XM, but years down the road I just started getting fed up with all the repeats of the same songs, it didn't matter if it was XM 66 RAW- which was a decent hip hop station, Channel 22 KISS, or 81 BPM.... they all played the same stuff over and over again. Sometimes their stations where playing the SAME song as the same time- it happend to me more than once.

I took a chance and basically tried out Sirius to see if my trusty old Alpine would handle it, 10 min of mounting the box in the trunk and putting the antena up I was wired up ! Quick call to Sirius had me bumpn in few minutes ! My favorite stations so far- Area 33 !- this station has the DJs I listen to on CDs, and tons of great stuff ! Channel 40 -Hip Hop Nation, great stuff here, uncenssored- the way it should be ! Shade 45- created by Eminem and Sirius, has tons of great tracks keepn ya bumpn. I have tons of radio stations to check out still- but I have been soo bussy enjoying the stations I have preset I dunno if I ever will check out the rest.

Quality of the sound is not as good as XM and in my area I tend to loose signal eassier under bridges etc than I did with XM. My XM antenna was mounted right by the 3rd brake light on the parcell shelf- where my Sirius one is sitting on the decklid right infront of the 3rd brake light. Technically Sirius should get better reception since its outside, but it fades out more than XM did- which isn't really an issue to me as it rarely happens.

Kicker is- I bought 3 Sirius receivers for Xmas for my family, they are going to join in on my account so we can save a few dollars- grand total of 4 receivers. XM is the thing of the past for me, and I can't belive I haven't made the switch to Sirius earlier !
Old 12-13-2005, 06:40 AM

Im glad that Im not the only one on here that listens to trance/dance. I only got XM because I only listen to techno and I got tired of listening to CDs all of the time. I also have the original XM box that is wired to my pioneer HU. the box uses an antenna that has 2 wires and they dont even make them like that anymore.

my favorite station is still 81 BPM but I cant listen to just 1 station all of the time, like you said they do tend to play a lot of stuff over and over again. XM changing The System might have done it in for me. I know sirius has lots of dance/techno stations, I might just have to switch.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:28 PM
drag racing is for wussies

trust me, you will NOT miss XM after making the switch to Sirius. Sound quality is lil poor on lower volumes, but once I crank it up it sounds clear and highs are more pronounced. I do not use a FM modulated receiver, I have the Sirius Connect for Alpine from Best Buy and it plays on its own band. Basically I can switch on CD, CD-Changer, AM1-2, FM-1-2, XM-1-2 presets. My Radio is XM ready and it says XM even thou its Sirius... not a big deal to me.

Area 33 plays great music all the time, check it out for free for a few days on sirius.com.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just installed my Sirius starmate and man that is nice. My wife, mother, and a few clients have own SIRI so I had to go that way. No regrets at all.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:22 PM

sirius all the way. stern rules, and area 33 like jez says is awesome! and metal! Hard attack!
Old 12-26-2005, 07:32 PM

just got xm...can anyone tell me how to hook up the power to the fm modulator?
Old 12-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I too got Sirius for Chriatmas and I'm not happy with the static I'm getting with the basic install. Since my 2001 Maxima has a stock CD changer, does anyone know if I can disconnect the changer and hardwire into that line? Otherwise does an FM modulator work and is it easy to install?
Old 01-01-2006, 08:54 PM

I'm fine with free radio. I have a station for everything, so I'm good.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:43 PM

New to Sat radio

Have Pioneer Avic-D1 in a 2K with XM and I'm lovin' it. It can also receive
Sirius with another tuner, although I don't think I'll go to that extreme.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:35 AM

I want Sirius soo much just for the simple fact that Howard Stern will be on it and its unedited.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Virus
PM will be coming to ya. I realize it's a long term investment and I could really kick myself in the butt for not buying earlier. I had a very strong feeling Stern would go to Sirius. I did this once before. Years ago I had a friend across the street that said that she knew someong that worked for AOL and they were about to announce that they were going to introduce a monthy access fee instead of a usage fee. I sat by as he maxed out all of his credit cards and savings to by as much AOL stock as he could. The very next day the announcement came. Within 30 days or so, he more than doubled his money, but became leary and sold it all. At that time I had 10k sitting in the bank, but my conservative nature just couldn't permit me to take the plung.
So did you end up buying the stock?
Old 01-17-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
i installed it and sent you the file. best mod i know of for my 04.

1. Can I have the file also?? I want to do this to my 05 Max, and the dealer install cost is keeping me from doing it....

2. what do I need? Itemized list please. I am a school teacher and need lists... plus payday is far away if I don't buy it right the first time.

3. who is selling it the cheapest right now... I must use the headunit so i can just push the SAT button and go from there. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2006, 08:36 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by ThunderMaxi
1. Can I have the file also?? I want to do this to my 05 Max, and the dealer install cost is keeping me from doing it....

2. what do I need? Itemized list please. I am a school teacher and need lists... plus payday is far away if I don't buy it right the first time.

3. who is selling it the cheapest right now... I must use the headunit so i can just push the SAT button and go from there. Thanks!
Visit Grubbs for the install instructions.
I believe they're still the cheapest. And now you can buy the unit and antenna without the splitter.

Dealer install is a ripoff. simply plug in the wire, 2 screws into your rear deck for mounting, and route the antenna wire. (in just installed it on my 3rd brake light)
Old 05-10-2006, 04:09 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Just wanted to throw this out there, I mounted my antenna on top of the dash, no problems with reception at all.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:53 AM

sirus is the way to go howard 24 hrs 2 channels , better music , less commericals from what i hear and also i got the 500 for life which pays for itself after 3 1/2 years xm does not offer this howard and the lifetime deal made it an easy choice for me
Old 07-22-2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by HurricaneMaxx18
sirus is the way to go howard 24 hrs 2 channels , better music , less commericals from what i hear and also i got the 500 for life which pays for itself after 3 1/2 years xm does not offer this howard and the lifetime deal made it an easy choice for me
I don't know why people think this is a good deal. Why would you make such a long term commitment (>3.5years) with a relatively new technology? Seems like a lot can change in 3.5 years in the satellite industry.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:59 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by HurricaneMaxx18

Howard is based on tastes. It doesnt make one service better than the other.

XM has fewer commercials.

$500 for Sat radio? Thats just plain insane.

I had both, I still have XM. Almost no dropoffs of signal,better quality sound.

I sell both so I am in no way biased per say to brand, but I certainly am to quality. Not to mention I get Alot more complaints about Sirius's service than XMs.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:39 AM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

I have sirius, i bought the 500 lifetime after 2 months. Its alot to pay upfront, but its for life =]

I'm using a kenwood compatible tuner box from sirius as my HU is sirius ready. My antenna is on top of the trunk lid (needs to move up the the roof, might do that today....) and i rarely ever loose signal. I cant remember the last time i lost signal that i wasnt in a tunnel or getting gas (pump roof).

I've had sirius for almost two years, and i will never change. I've been to NJ, FL, and all the inbetween with it, and own stock in the company
Old 09-14-2006, 02:21 PM

only problem with sirius sat is that it makes you realize just how deprived we were and how lame terrestial radio is
Old 09-16-2006, 08:13 AM
Likes them corn fed

to me it seems like xm has no variety in there music, it's the same 15 songs over and over on every channel, sirius FTMFW
Old 09-17-2006, 06:17 PM

After having had XM for about a month, here's my quick review:

-Great music selection. Good enough that I sold my iPod. No regrets.
-Navtraffic is a dissapointment. I will definately not be subscribing after my free period ends. It doesn't work on the GSP and is not very impressive on the turnpike either. I've hit horrendous traffic on the turnpike and would get "There is no traffic information on this route". To be fair, though, my experience is limited to just those two highways so far.
-Service in Central Jersey is unpredictable. Some days its pouring and service is great, other days I take the same roads under clear skys and it cuts out continuously. A little frustrating, but so far not bad enough for me to want to try Sirius.

All in all, very happy with satellite radio. I can't live without it on late night drives. Hopefully I'll be able to renew for $72/year.