Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Alpine vs. Clarion

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 11:13 AM
SandSpit

Alpine vs. Clarion

I can't seem to make up my mind between these two decks.

1) Alpine CDA-9835: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-quGvEff...&avf=N&search=

2) Clarion DXZ845MC: http://www.clarion.com/usa/product/i...oduct=DXZ845MC

Things I like about both:
The alpine has a display that will not wash in the sunlight. Clarion will record up to 6 CDs and is cheaper.

I guess the question I need help with is performance and reliability. Is the Alpine worth with the extra money ($130.00)?

I have an amp for the front speakers and the sub. I have the 2 channels for the front and 2 channels bridged for the sub, and I'll use the deck to power the rear door speakers.

What do you think?

(Never buying a Kenwood again)

Old 10-10-2004, 11:46 AM
sachmo12345

i would get the alpine but look for it on ebay youll get a much better deal

Old 10-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Way out West

I am a big fan of Alpine, but that recorder thing sounds pretty intriguing.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:33 PM
tastey wheat

oh god, alpine
Old 10-10-2004, 09:25 PM

Well, not to go against the grain, but a friend of mine purchased the clarion instead of the alpine and I must say it sounds great. I have never heard the Alpine, but from experience, the clarion sounds great.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:41 PM

I'm a huge clarion fan. They always have excellent sound quality.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:24 AM

I've got a Clarion deck and love it. That said, the Alpine is a quality product and looks 10X better than that particular Clarion.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

alpine, but i myself have kenwood now
Old 10-11-2004, 03:12 AM
vqman

alpine...

why is this even a comparison?

it's like comparing the Hyundaii XG350 to the G35...

ludicrious..

i own all!

Old 10-11-2004, 12:03 PM

Alpine all the way
Old 10-11-2004, 06:29 PM

alpine only mess with the best
Old 10-12-2004, 03:00 AM

Imho...

As a former installer, I saw all amnner and shape of electronics, and the one thing I can say is I never, not once, pulled an alpine HU out for any reason, I have owned all manner of electronics, but when it comes to HUs and processors, alpine lays down the funk. In fact people used to bring in old, i.e. 1986 models, that had been stolen or left in a closet or trunk for years and we'd bench test them and they would always work and sound great. It is well worth the extra money; sure they're not as flashy and gimmick-laden as some of the other companies but they consistently put out the highest quality sound, performance and flexibility for the dollar. I have installed a $30K system and we used all alpine electronics, Kicker amps and JL subs and it was the cleanest most powerful thing I have yet to experience, and if you can go to that level, and get the same quality for a few hundred beans, you should. Just my buck-oh-one.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:56 AM

sorry i'm gonna have to call you out on that 30k thing but i'll agree alpine is the way to go. especially thsoe 9835's, they're so d@mn sweet. i myself have a 9830, am very happy with it, but the display sucks in the saytime. the 9835 has dot matrix i believe or some other display type so in the day it's relaly good...doesn't it have that bio lite crap too?
Old 10-12-2004, 10:02 AM

well i have the dxz835 clarion with is last years model and i don't like it at all. actually giving it to my girlfriend today. The screen sucks and the top right corner blinks different colors and i can't get it fixed. Loading and switching between songs just takes too long. fast forwarding thru cd songs is annoying. If your going to save files on your headunit why not just put them on an mp3 cd? i'd get the alpine
Old 10-12-2004, 11:39 AM

just a few things

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
sorry i'm gonna have to call you out on that 30k thing but i'll agree alpine is the way to go. especially thsoe 9835's, they're so d@mn sweet. i myself have a 9830, am very happy with it, but the display sucks in the saytime. the 9835 has dot matrix i believe or some other display type so in the day it's relaly good...doesn't it have that bio lite crap too?
I don't know about the bio-lite firsthand, but the $30K was in Jason Caffey's escalade, he was a backup for Michael Jordan, the went to the Bucks I believe, NBA player...Escalade...we also did wheels, AP big brakes, new catback, and headers as well as a Whipplecharger and a suede headliner.....that+labor+s&*tloads of A/V equip=$30K...I'm no BS artist, I only speak of what I know, though I can fully understand your disbelief.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:01 PM

I'd take a low line 2.7v Eclipse over either deck, quite honestly......and it would outperform them both in SQ right out of the box
Old 10-12-2004, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
I'd take a low line 2.7v Eclipse over either deck, quite honestly......and it would outperform them both in SQ right out of the box
I'll put my Clarion up agianst ANY Eclipse for SQ.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:22 PM

So let me understand this. You pulled the stock Clarion radio out of the car and now you want to put an aftermarket Clarion in the car? Seriously, the Clarion will most likely give you more features, but the SQ of the Alpine is worth every penny.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima Dan
I'll put my Clarion up agianst ANY Eclipse for SQ.
how convenient that we live so far.......
Old 10-12-2004, 02:57 PM

how convenient that we live so far.......
Even if we did live nearby it is a nearly impossible test...but I will definately claim that a DRZ9255 will more than hold its own against any Eclipse.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:21 PM

Even if we did live nearby it is a nearly impossible test...but I will definately claim that a DRZ9255 will more than hold its own against any Eclipse.
impossible , yes- too many variables, ideal would be a HU swap out of one car's system, or just plug n play with a set of speakers w/ internal amp-but you gotta love the fun factor that would be involved

BTW , I've always been a big fan of Clarion Pro Audio- and the 9255 is a gem with its dual burrbrown DAC's- but the deck in question in this thread shares very little with this beast
Old 10-12-2004, 03:45 PM

i just didnt believe the 30k cuz obviously that's with a buncha other ****. dude rims and tires alone can cost up to 15k retail. i have YET to see a daily drive system that's more than 10k without lcd's... YEAH YEAH you could have a WALL in your truck and a buttload of amps and alts or whatever you wanna do but i'm talking about stock electrical system and battery. just simple h/u, speaks, amps, subs...not custom custom work
Old 10-12-2004, 03:48 PM

impossible , yes- too many variables, ideal would be a HU swap out of one car's system, or just plug n play with a set of speakers w/ internal amp-but you gotta love the fun factor that would be involved

BTW , I've always been a big fan of Clarion Pro Audio- and the 9255 is a gem with its dual burrbrown DAC's- but the deck in question in this thread shares very little with this beast
Oh yeah, I'd be all over the comparo. The trouble would be that even if you were able to swap them in and out you'd still have some issues. It would take too long to change them and you would still have to set up the eq, crossover, time align, etc.

I realize my HU has very little in common with the one in question. I just think it is kinda funny how many people jump in on one brand and proclaim that it is "the best". Every company has both good and bad products. Clarion does make some crap (stock Bose HU), but they do make some really good stuff too.

BTW what happened to the Pioneer fans on here...figured they would have jumped in.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:08 PM

it was very custom and my daily-driven system was over $5K, factoring in labor

It was very custom, all in fact, and that helped the labor bill jump to over $5K, the escalade, that is. mine was over $4K in parts alone, no lcds, dvd, nav, or vcrs. All Sound....Damn I miss it
Old 10-12-2004, 04:27 PM

Oh yeah, I'd be all over the comparo. The trouble would be that even if you were able to swap them in and out you'd still have some issues. It would take too long to change them and you would still have to set up the eq, crossover, time align, etc.

I realize my HU has very little in common with the one in question. I just think it is kinda funny how many people jump in on one brand and proclaim that it is "the best". Every company has both good and bad products. Clarion does make some crap (stock Bose HU), but they do make some really good stuff too.

BTW what happened to the Pioneer fans on here...figured they would have jumped in.
Not too many higher end Pioneer/Premier owners I guess-

Dan...the reasons why I say I'd take a low line Eclipse over the the two decks in question, is that from my experience- these decks that dont have a
at least a single 20bit-24bit DAC built in, are OVERpacked with these bells and whistles and cannot efficiently handle these DSP fuctions without sacrificing the digital source quality- A low line 2.7v Eclipse , doesn't have any of these functions to address other than to transfer the audio signal, and the basic functions- thats the reason I believe why I feel Eclipse decks installs I've experienced are super clean , wether driving a multi amp system, or just driving a pair of coaxes with internal power-
Now (for comparisons sake) the 5444/8454 Eclipse decks use crystal 24bit DAC's, employing 'twin' DSP chips dedicated to processing specific tasks efficiently, with no compromise in the digital source quality- The rave on how clean and what great Sq these decks ultimately comes down to this tech-
Now the Clarion DRZ9255's dual sampling DAC's work to this effect, perhaps better, dunno if it would be an audible thing, but at $1400 msrp you get that extra DAC, although the Eclipse ~$600 has it beat in output voltage and output impedance-nevertheless that Clarion is a great deck,and super sexy-
The comparo would be great fun and very interesting indeed first hand
Old 10-12-2004, 05:09 PM

Personally I absolutely hated my Eclipse HU. The SQ was mediocre at best. I switched to the Kenwood Excelon 879 HU and find the SQ and features far better. The only thing I don't like is the mediocre display on the Kenwood, but most of all I don't like it's Sirius radio controls.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:01 PM

i had a kenwood and i thought it sucked @ss. much happier with the alpine. would only get an alpine eclpise or pioneer next
Old 10-12-2004, 06:25 PM

im getting an alpine by friday its a ghetto one though the lowest on the line
Old 10-12-2004, 09:55 PM

I was debating over an Eclipse 5444 and Clarion DXZ845MC and... I went with the DXZ845MC. I know i'm going to get flamed for me decision, but I chose it for a few good reason. I wanted a Sirius ready unit, and most important of all the price is a hell lot cheaper. Havent' installed it yet (probably get to it this weekend) so don't know how it sounds. I'm sure SQ is off to the Eclipse but not much of an issue for me. Don't know much about Alpine. I personally am not fond of Alpines at all. I can say the quality of the unit is very nice.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:05 PM

^^ too bad alpines **** on clarion
Old 10-16-2004, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
^^ too bad alpines **** on clarion
since when? you basically get the same level of performance across 90% of Alpine's line- differences you pay for are display and more features-not componentry-sounds like a personal 'opinion'........
Old 10-16-2004, 06:22 AM

"since when? you basically get the same level of performance across 90% of Alpine's line- differences you pay for are display and more features-not componentry-sounds like a personal 'opinion'........"

Alpine more for display???? The only radio in the Alpine lineup that has a different Biolite display is the 9835, other than that they have the simplest of displays. Are you thinking of Pioneer???
Old 10-16-2004, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by 97GLEMAX
"since when? you basically get the same level of performance across 90% of Alpine's line- differences you pay for are display and more features-not componentry-sounds like a personal 'opinion'........"

Alpine more for display???? The only radio in the Alpine lineup that has a different Biolite display is the 9835, other than that they have the simplest of displays. Are you thinking of Pioneer???
I meant cosmetics and features are different.....

The only Alpine that has a 24bit DAC is a $3000 Alpine F1 status-thats with 4v outputs and an external brain the size of an amplifier- Now the Eclipse 5444 (~$400-450msrp has 5v outputs w/ 55ohm low output impedance and a 24bit DAC with dual dsp dedicated chips) and its not even their top of the line unit- Now Nakamichi's(both model's have 24bit DAC's are the simplest HU's with none of the excess bells and whistles and are regarded among the best SQ HU's in caraudio - Simply put you get more for your $$ buying an Eclipse/Nakamichi

So unless someone here can explain the differences that would affect 'SQ'( not DSP or sound tailoring functions- thats for the birds) no one can
unbias-ly say Alpine HU's are the best SQ units -
Old 10-16-2004, 09:47 AM

well all my experience with alpine are with like units that retail for 400 or less... and truly in that price segment alpine wins. for that price not many other brands give you a 4band eq. for that price you can get an ugly eclipse, a pioneer with a stupid organic el, kenwood which has a whole lotta useless crap, or the trusty old alpine. no nak's read mp3's huh. the lack of bells and whistles is nice but it's gotta be practical too...
Old 10-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Disco Biscuit

Give me my Clarion. Alpines are nice but I go with what I like. My Clarion unit is 6 years old now, and it still works like the day I bought it. SQ is top notch, and fits in perfectly with the rest of my system.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:06 PM

I can....

I meant cosmetics and features are different.....

The only Alpine that has a 24bit DAC is a $3000 Alpine F1 status-thats with 4v outputs and an external brain the size of an amplifier- Now the Eclipse 5444 (~$400-450msrp has 5v outputs w/ 55ohm low output impedance and a 24bit DAC with dual dsp dedicated chips) and its not even their top of the line unit- Now Nakamichi's(both model's have 24bit DAC's are the simplest HU's with none of the excess bells and whistles and are regarded among the best SQ HU's in caraudio - Simply put you get more for your $$ buying an Eclipse/Nakamichi

So unless someone here can explain the differences that would affect 'SQ'( not DSP or sound tailoring functions- thats for the birds) no one can
unbias-ly say Alpine HU's are the best SQ units -

I've owned the top of the line alpine CDA-7949 and two top of the line eclipse H/Us 5303r and the "8volt" pre-out successor...both eclipses sounded good.... but the newer one....couldn't get motor noise from the face out of my system....and I was a professional installer, and I tried four different units all of the same type and I only had the best cables, wiring, two optimas, 220 amp aternator w/ gold rectifiers and stators...with over 1,000 man hours in my vehicle; > 2/3 in sound only....and the "8V" output on the new Eclipse was not constant, in fact it would drop to less than 3 oftentimes, but my Alpine is 4 volts constant; peaky output voltage=shifting power and distortion in the system. Furthermore, I had to send in each of my eclipses twice for cheap parts breaking...no sound in car=no SQ, a significant reduction in score in my estimation. The Alpine...much better SQ, no noise whatsoever (copper-isolated chassis), no problems yet over a much longer period...and my 7949 has a higher S/N ratio and lower THD. I also installed many systems, and I've never had an $950 Eclipse H/U sound as good as a $650 alpine, whose technology/model was three years older, after pulling the Eclipse out for unsatisfied customers and plugging in the Alpine....they all went with the Alpine after hearing them. So, it's not just my opinion, but the opinion of at least a dozen other broke-a$$ audiophiles who pour every extra cent they earned into getting the best sound (SPL and SQ) out their vehicles for the most fair price. Now, unless Fujitsu Ten, the maker of Eclipse has dedicated themselves solely to the development and production of in vehicle entertainment as Alpine does and always has...they've lost another point or two....Alpine ONLY develpoes and builds mobile audio/video equipment, making them more focused, and hence more specialized...and this in turn means that their company has to depend on making the finest quality components...as it is their only source of income, In other words....if Alpine sold didn't develope the newest and best continually, they would fall behind in reputation, sales and profits...none of which have happened, in fact quite the contrary......just a few points; some opinion supported by facts and experience...nothing more, nothing less. No intention of showing you up, man, just wanted to get a valid argument up here for the only company I see myself ever buying a H/U from, and my reasons for that belief.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:09 PM

Eclipse newest lines have come a long way from those models-BTW I dont recall a $950 model
Voltage with practically all HU's is incremental with volume, not a constant rms- if you believe so, then it should be to your disappointment that some Alpine decks have been have been tested and their sub outputs do not even put out no where near 4v constant- sorry to break it to you
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showth...alpine+preouts

The fact that you are bias towards Alpine does not explain to me how they are a better 'SQ' deck- they dont have the goods (DAC's), just a rainbow of choices that do 'more of the same'
Old 10-18-2004, 09:09 AM

Between the Alpine and the Clarion, get the Clarion...its a Pro Audio.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:06 PM

i just bought me a alpine today MESS WITH THE BEST lol thats what xzibit says then again he has audiobahns
Old 10-19-2004, 08:18 AM

I would say that an Eclipse unit would hands down beat anything out there in SQ. But between those two choices I would definitley go with the Alpine.

Quick Reply: Alpine vs. Clarion