Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

opinions on these 12" Audiobahns...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 08:02 PM
TL5

opinions on these 12" Audiobahns...

http://www.cardomain.com/item/ABNABP12T

considering about possibly getting those :-|

not sure though

i really like the audiobahn boxes with the neon lights etc so that's one reason I'm leaning towards these

what are your opinions and what amp should i get to match that?

TIA
Old 10-10-2004, 08:14 PM

well, it depends on which you prefer, sound quality or looks. For sound quality, there are much better things than audiobahn, especially a prefab audioibahn system. For flashy looks that dont really sound great, Audiobahn is the way to go.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:21 PM
TL5

Originally Posted by SublimeI30t
well, it depends on which you prefer, sound quality or looks. For sound quality, there are much better things than audiobahn, especially a prefab audioibahn system. For flashy looks that dont really sound great, Audiobahn is the way to go.
let me add that I'm not exactly looking for something that will vibrate the entire town while some hip hop song is on

just something that will add some nice clean bass
Old 10-10-2004, 08:37 PM

I too am searching for a nice add on to my stock system that doesnt shake the ground for miles around. What I am looking at, is an adire shiva 12" sub with a box I will build myself, and a 300 watt amp. From what I have read, the shiva is said to hit just as hard as a JL 12" sub. One of these would probably provide a nice amount of bass, but nothing too over the top. Back on topic, i guess that system would provide some bass, but everything I have heard about audiobahn says its not that great. Personally, I would rather have one nice sub that provides an ample amount of bass than one not so nice set of subs that is flashy, but thats just preference.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

audiobahn sucks
Old 10-12-2004, 08:45 AM
tastey wheat

Eclipse Aluminums/Titaniums are the way to go... the titaniums compete easily with the JLW7 and for a much cheaper price. especially on ebay
Old 10-12-2004, 03:50 PM

how much are the ti's? to me eclipse subs are on the verge of mainstream. i'd rather buy a xxx than a w7.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:08 PM
Longboarderphil

an XXX is an spl sub and sounds like garbage, JL is just plain over rated. Image Dynamics is where its at i say get one 12 inch ID max sub, one alpine type R, or one eclipse aluminum

Old 10-12-2004, 06:05 PM

whoa whoa whoa whoa......you're not serious right. jl isn't overrated, their overpriced. idmax's sound good, but an xxx absolutely ***** on it i'm sorry. and for you to even say idmax, type r, and eclipse aluminum in one sentence is an abomination. you my friend are an idiot.

in this order of sq AND spl
1. xxx
2. idmax
3. eclipse alum
4. type r

IN THAT VERY ORDER
yea yea all in the install, given their optimal performance in a max with best suited power. he's comparing imcomparable subs to begin with anyway so pardon me
Old 10-12-2004, 06:14 PM
TL5

so one of those eclipse, ID max, or alpine type R subs will provide me with exactly what I'm looking for?

sounds nice

now what about a nice box and amp?
Old 10-12-2004, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Longboarderphil
an XXX is an spl sub and sounds like garbage
Resonant Engineering's XXX uses the XBL_2 technology...can't really associate "garbage" with XBL_2
Old 10-12-2004, 06:20 PM

dam i wish they sold xxxs in the hood
Old 10-12-2004, 07:22 PM

actually you dont...when you live near a retailer they sell for more expensive. when you live in teh boonies they send it to you re direct and it's cheaper. i wish i didnt live near a dealer, that's what i'm trying to figure out at the moment. i want a 15 xxx and the store wants like 5 bills or something ridiculous
Old 10-12-2004, 07:50 PM

my audio store only sells refurbished stuff. they have a lot of xplods type rs and kickers
Old 10-12-2004, 09:43 PM
Longboarderphil

ok bro go to a sound competition for sound quality u wont see ne XXX subs...i have competed for over 3 years in sound comp SQ and SPL an ID max is what u want. i hit 151.3 db with 2 12" id max subs and won first place in the expert class, at the slap show im maryland...XXX are good for being loud and needing a huge box. trust me i work in a shop and know what im talking about. i was trying to give him a wide range of speakers becuase i dont know his price range. im sorry but a 15 inch XXX or even a 12" XXX is going to be LOUD yes loud, but not sound as good as an ID max ever. try using good components. DLS iridiums components, zapco 2.5, one zapco 6.0 and a zapco 9.0 2 12" ID max subs, i hate to sound cocky but i have swept well over 15 competitions and i hate to say i have blown the competition away.

Old 10-12-2004, 09:46 PM

XXX is an incredible SQ sub. It sounds very nice. Go hear one properly installed, I guess your shop never installed one.

Audiobahn wont give you clean bass, it will give you ghetto boom.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:50 PM
Longboarderphil

XXX is not a good SQ sub and no my shop has not installed that. we dont put products in cars which will not win competitions. DLS and Image Dynamics, and Zapco, eclipse, and alpine. thats the way to go

Old 10-12-2004, 09:51 PM

The XXX is a good SQ sub, just like the Brahma. Yes both can get damn loud, but that doesn't mean it can't play clean, even at high volumes. My Brahma is still damn accurate when I have it cranked up.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

XXX is not a good SQ sub and no my shop has not installed that. we dont put products in cars which will not win competitions. DLS and Image Dynamics, and Zapco, eclipse, and alpine. thats the way to go
This coming from a guy who says that JL Audio is over-rated. Your views are now null and void.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Longboarderphil

i didnt say it wasnt a bad sub for your ears but to the ears of a sound comp judge it is. SQ doesnt involve very much bass. more of a very focused CLEAN sound. Extremely clean install with pictures, and a cd which will not play in a CD player without a processor. SPL is just louddd bass..which is a requirement if u do sq, you must do SPL. at least at the shows i have attended. and btw an ID max hits so hard that they tend to dent their own cones. so tell me a XXX will hit harder than that

Old 10-12-2004, 09:59 PM
I miss the .org!

Xzibit likes Audiobahn, so it must be good.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:00 PM

cones shouldn't flex if designed properly...
Old 10-12-2004, 10:03 PM
TL5

ok eclipse aluminum, titanium, or id max i have narrowed down to (for real this time)

which one of the three?

again, i dont want LOUD boom boom
just clean smooth and clear bass

i think idmax (after looking at the specifications) is the best and pocket-friendly choice?

and again, what amp and box?

sorry, but im really new to the audio scene
Old 10-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Longboarderphil

the cones do not flex...they dent. look at ne high quality sub meant for that purpose...dls and ID max dent their own cones...thats y they are replaceble. it does not change the way they sound...just the way they look. please come on now man, ive worked in this shop for a few years and have trophies to prove my winnings. u can say whatever u believe but ID max's are show and sound proven.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Longboarderphil

definetly go with a zapco amp...and preferable a box made to the specific dimensions needed for the sub if u want it to sound the best. if u want hit me up on aim CreativeDesignz1 is my sn i can hook u up with a nice box if u need it

Old 10-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

please come on now man, ive worked in this shop for a few years and have trophies to prove my winnings.
Ok guys, time to give this seasoned professional installer a break, I mean he's been doing this since he was 16.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Longboarderphil

yea the sad part is that my processor digital eq and headunit and my whole stereo itself probably cost more than ur car and my car put together

Old 10-12-2004, 10:20 PM

so a cone can dent...but not flex...explain that one for me. at some point the cone HAD to flex before it dents right?
Old 10-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Ok kid, let me know when you purchase a home of your own and then get back to me, isn't it past your bedtime?
Old 10-12-2004, 10:30 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

My friend had ID maxes, and he even sold them to move back to Eclipse aluminums. I personally wouldnt go ID's. To each their own. I would put my system in my wrecked max against any Id's....I would cream your car. When I was 19 years old , I also thought I knew wverything about stereos, because I had an Alpine Benzi box.....
Old 10-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Longboarderphil

sorry buddy...hate to break it to ya but i do live on my own thank you very much. i pay the bills and the rent. and no its not past my bed time. and what does this have to do with speakers...nothing. i have bigger fish to fry and i am trying to spread some insight to people on the org who seem to be one way thinkers. for those of u non believers of the ID max check this link out http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55614 and the cones only dent when i kick the sh*t out of them...it does not change the way the sub sounds. and ID backs up their product 120% u can get the sub reconed for about 40 bux and it will be brand new. if u blow a coil they will replace it....IMHO ID is the way to go. now how many other companies warrantee a blow speaker? not very many id max + zapco + alpine headunit+ DLS iridium components= a first place win in a rookie sound comp class.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:38 PM

a first place win in a rookie sound comp class.
i hit 151.3 db with 2 12" id max subs and won first place in the expert class
so which one is it?
Old 10-12-2004, 10:44 PM
Longboarderphil

im saying with the stuff im telling him to get he will win in the rookie class...with the stuff i have i have won first place in the expert class. i doubt that he would like to spend 7k on his headunit processor and digital eq alone

Old 10-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Ok, I came in on this thread when you mentioned that JL Audio is over-rated. If so, why do so many show vehicles and 100's of members on every single car forum out there use JL Audio? Then you mention that you've been in this business for years when you infact are now only 19 years old. I'm not taking anything away from your experience in the mobile audio field, but if you want us to value your opinions on this site, you should not make blanket statements about quality equipment which I've mentioned above. Also, people give everyone a hard time on this site, ESPECIALLY newbies, you'll see that if you haven't already. I see a detail in your post which also doesn't help back up your knowledge as much as you want us to believe you, and that is the comment about warranty issues. Ask Fosgate Fan, he can attest that there are QUITE a few companies that will replace faulty equipment. You obviously have a fair amount of knowledge in this arena, just learn that you don't have to force your views on other members here and that what you mention is taken into consideration.

Welcome to the .org
Old 10-12-2004, 11:03 PM
Longboarderphil

JL is a great sub for show...u can get a W0 for 90 bux, get a bunch of them and u will have a hott looking set up. i feel as if JL is the brand to have especially if u have a show vehicle. i agree 100% with you on that JL is like the Bling of car shows. JL is a great company dont get me wrong, but never used in a sound quality or sound competition. my opinion is that they are over rated in the aspect that u can get a competition type subwoofer for less than a W7. as far as warantee work goes, i mean u can beat the ever lovin sh*t out of the sub send it back with the cone torn in half, anything...whether its ur fault or not and they will most likely replace it. or charge u a minimal fee to give u a new one. oh and thanks for the welcome

Old 10-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Agreed, there are quite a few other options out there that are more affordable than the w7, but I am very pleased with my 3 8w6's from 10 years ago. Haven't won any sound competions with them, but that's not my goal.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:19 AM

uhm guys what about kickers? lol i like the comps
Old 10-13-2004, 01:44 PM
Longboarderphil

kicker comp VR are great subs for the money. they get a thumbs up for the price and quality. they are a tad boomy i would get jl w3's or w6's instead

Old 10-13-2004, 02:21 PM

12" Shiva...seem to be a good deal for a great sub. Think it was around $125 for one.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:21 PM

kicker comp VR are great subs for the money. they get a thumbs up for the price and quality. they are a tad boomy i would get jl w3's or w6's instead

werd i love boommy i dont care about that SQ crap, i dont mean to sound stupid but i just like the bass feeling

Quick Reply: opinions on these 12" Audiobahns...