Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Whining Noise From Amp

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 01:43 PM

Whining Noise From Amp

I just installed my stereo system in my car now I am getting a whining noise through my speakers. I have the Amp under my passenger seat. Where is a good place to ground it to. If have to relocate the amp then thats what I'll do to get rid of that annoying A$$ noise.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:34 PM

I had this problem and it turned out to be a RCA that was not fully plugged into the amp. Also, you should not have the RCA wire running next to the power wire. If neither of these solve your problems, then try to ground somewhere else and see if that solves it. Hopefully, it does solve it, but if not, go to google and type in "amplifier alternator noise" and you will get a bunch of sites with how-to's to fix it.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does the whine get louder when you hit the gas....?

If it does....its a bad ground.
Make sure you use at least 8 gage grounding wire and try to ground it
to the frame, or some bolt/metal piece that directly contacts frame.

I had the same problem in my 92 max.... fixing ground fixed whine!
Old 10-19-2004, 09:45 PM

doesn't matter if the rca is next to the power wire. make sure the ground is making good contact with the car (ie scrapping off paint to allow better metal to metal contact)
Old 10-19-2004, 11:58 PM

i have this same problem. GUess ill try to get a better ground connection. I've ground mine to the passenger side seat where it bolts to the frame. Is this is a good place to ground?
Old 10-20-2004, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
doesn't matter if the rca is next to the power wire. make sure the ground is making good contact with the car (ie scrapping off paint to allow better metal to metal contact)
If you have a cheap RCA and it is running parallel with the power wire, you absolutely can get noise induced into the system.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by KCMaxima98
If you have a cheap RCA and it is running parallel with the power wire, you absolutely can get noise induced into the system.
no you cannot. that is just a myth. if that was true, an rca being run along the chassis would have noise induced because the same current that flows through the positive cable flows through the chassis. the chassis would infact be a huge antenna for noise if your claim was correct.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:00 PM

I had a whine problem only when 1 set of RCA's were in my 4channel amp
When both were in, engine whine

I spent 4 hrs troubleshooting: changed ground, grounded RCA's, grounded HU, changed RCA's, etc

I bought a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack, plugged it into one set of RCA's, problem's gone
Old 10-20-2004, 02:43 PM

I'm having the same noise now too.. never had it before. I though it was a bad ground because when I hit a bump it would get even worse. I tightened up the ground even more and it went away.. somewhat but its still there.

RCA's are fine from the radio and back to the amps.

Would a bad ground on the radio do the same thing?

Its one of the most annoying whining noises I've ever heard... its worse than my g/f
Old 10-21-2004, 05:20 AM

go back to radio shack and try a ground loop isolator
Old 10-22-2004, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by stmary
Does the whine get louder when you hit the gas....?

If it does....its a bad ground.
Make sure you use at least 8 gage grounding wire and try to ground it
to the frame, or some bolt/metal piece that directly contacts frame.

I had the same problem in my 92 max.... fixing ground fixed whine!

Yeah when i hit the gas it sounds like i got a jet engine...lol. i grounded it to one of the bolts for the seat, scraped the paint off and grounded it directly to the body and still getting that noise
Old 10-22-2004, 02:48 PM

Does the loop isolator work? Cuz I got one when i had a Mazda 626 and it still did it.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ground loop isolator's DON'T work and you really don't need one if it's installed properly. By don't work, it may get rid of whatever audible noise you can hear but the problem is still there and in fact everythign would sound better if the install was just done correctly. i had crazy engine noise, very lil of it was due to a bad ground for my amp (although it helped oh so slightly) but the real culprit WAS my h/u, and it was gruonded properly and everything. NEVER GET A KENWOOD. i replaced both the amp though and the h/u anyway (avionixx and alpine) and could not be happier, no noise WHATSOEVER. peace
Old 10-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Got Projectors?

I had whining noise that I couldn't cure. I ran power and RCAs down separate sides of the car...had good grounds...etc.

It finally went away when I upgraded my amp...so I can only conclude the amp was the problem - seeing as I used the exact same wiring, grounds, etc. for the new one.

Now I'm having a problem where I get a clicking sound through the tweeters in the front comp set when the fan kicks on. Ugh.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:46 AM

I went out and got a ground loop isolator and needless to say it didnt work. it actually killed my volume and made it really low. I'm guessing it is the amp cuz my friend is the one who sold it to me and he was having the same problem. anyone wanna buy an amp....lol.j/k
Old 07-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same problem but my amp is to big to put under one of the front seats. I am having trouble finding a good ground within 3ft of the amp which is near the back seat. Any thoughts or suggestions on where I can place my ground?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:24 PM

damn this is an old *** thread

so you're running multiple amps? you can just make another ground somewhere on the chassis...under the carpet etc.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by xoticar7
I have the same problem but my amp is to big to put under one of the front seats. I am having trouble finding a good ground within 3ft of the amp which is near the back seat. Any thoughts or suggestions on where I can place my ground?
I ran my amp in the trunk right behind the folding seats. Underneath the carpet there are few bolts that has good chasis ground. That is probably where you want to mount it. Also if you are running multiple amps, you can use a distrbution block for multiple grounds. Make sure you make your ground wire short and not too long. Having long ground can also pick up noise!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 PM
blah

Originally Posted by xoticar7
For my 4th gen max I chose the strut mount bolts in the trunk and there was 0 noise that I could hear. Make sure its sanded down well and the wire is short as possible.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Batxel
For my 4th gen max I chose the strut mount bolts in the trunk and there was 0 noise that I could hear. Make sure its sanded down well and the wire is short as possible.
We pretty much have the same idea! lol