Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Audio: Connecting Speakers to Amp

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 05:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Audio: Connecting Speakers to Amp

I went in to circuit city today to buy some speaker wire and rca's and came across an idea given to me by someone who works there. He basically told me to conserve wire and work, to connect the front speakers to the back speakers directly into each other and then into the amp. I'm still confused about this. Has anyone ever come across this? Please let me know thanks.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dadonfromqueenz
I went in to circuit city today to buy some speaker wire and rca's and came across an idea given to me by someone who works there. He basically told me to conserve wire and work, to connect the front speakers to the back speakers directly into each other and then into the amp. I'm still confused about this. Has anyone ever come across this? Please let me know thanks.
People who work at circuit city =

I have NEVER received good advice from ANYONE who works at circuit city, best buy, etc.

What exactly are you attempting to hook up? I take it you have an amp... duh... how many channels is it? What speakers are you running? Stock?

Most door speakers are rated at 4ohms. If you try and tie the front and rear together, you either wire so you get 8ohms or 2ohms. I personally would never do this, but this is up to you ultimately. If you tie them together, you defeat the purpose of having any type of 'front stage', as you cannot adjust the gain/sensitivity on the rear speakers. But, if you are just into raw power and SPL, then do what you want.

Just my .02...
drew
Old 11-17-2004, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by GodsmackMAX
People who work at circuit city =

I have NEVER received good advice from ANYONE who works at circuit city, best buy, etc.

What exactly are you attempting to hook up? I take it you have an amp... duh... how many channels is it? What speakers are you running? Stock?

Most door speakers are rated at 4ohms. If you try and tie the front and rear together, you either wire so you get 8ohms or 2ohms. I personally would never do this, but this is up to you ultimately. If you tie them together, you defeat the purpose of having any type of 'front stage', as you cannot adjust the gain/sensitivity on the rear speakers. But, if you are just into raw power and SPL, then do what you want.

Just my .02...
drew
Let me list all of my components

4 Alpine SPS-690 6x9 Speakers
1 Alpine CDA-9827 Headunit
1 Alpine MRV-340 4/3/2 Channel Amplifier
1 Alpine MRD-501 Mono Amplifier
1 Alpine SWS-1042D 10" 900W Subwoofer
1 Sony Xplód 12" 1200W Subwoofer
2 Jetsound 1.2Mf Capacitors

So, I want to connect my 4 speakers to the 4 channel amp. and want to control each speaker individually. The guy at circuit city told me that I would be able to control each speaker individually. LoL. When he was explaining it i was confused.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

first of all, nice choice on all alpine... decent entry level stuff. But, how the hell do you plan on fitting the 6x9s in the door??? Not to mention the rear deck. You do realize you have to do some cutting to get them to fit in the rear deck, right?

Anyway, those speakers will work well with your amp, just please hook it up the correct way and run each speaker to its own channel (ie 4ch). You will have far fewer problems and less chance of doing something wrong.

Also, a little OT, but your alpine mrv-340 says it does 45Wx4 @ 4ohm but 35Wx4 @ 2ohm. Kinda interesting as usually when you go down in resistance, power goes up.... hmmm might me a typo.

drew
Old 11-17-2004, 07:46 PM

this is how

Just some custom work...

btw...alpine is entry level? or are my parts entry level?