Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Harwiring accessories

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 07:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hardwiring accessories

I'm going to be hardwiring some things soon (passport 8500, and maybe a sirius PNP). What would be good things to wire into that would act like the cig lighter (go on at the same time)? Seems like wiring everything into the cig lighter would be a bad idea. Does it matter if the thing has the same amp fuse as the cig lighter? Should the negative be tapped into another negative or should it just be attached to some bear metal? Would it be okay to use wiretaps or should I really solder these things? Thanks alot!!!
Old 12-05-2004, 07:19 PM

you could use cig lighter it has a 10 amp fuse which can be changed to more. the wire to the fuse box are not big but for a radar detector and for a sat light tuner should not draw more then 2 or 3 more amps. the cig lighter is a good idea because in the max it is only turned on when the ignition is turned on. you could also wire it directly to the battery. but if you are not using the cig lighter that much then it should be fine. maybe you could upgrade the fuse to 15 amps if you do use the cig ligher. also you can use any ground source to ground the components off to that is bare metal and is part of the chassie. use a multimeter to check for ground. if you dont have one just pick a good ground you know has to be welded directly to the chasie of the car.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:16 PM

www.freestyleconcepts.com/v1.html

you can follow this. This is where I wired my radar.

cheers
Old 12-05-2004, 09:22 PM

putting the radar up there gives the v1 along with any other 360 degree protection radar almost impossible to gather signal from the sides and rear. needs to be 6" up from the dashboard. remember when lasar is used, they aim for your liscense plate or anything metal in the front of the car. MUST HIT METAL to get a reading. having a cop in the family i found this stuff out, dont get me wrong up near the mirror is a nice place but not 100% effective as 6" from the dash. im not a pro at this by no means but i just know from what im told
Old 12-06-2004, 12:05 PM

you can buy a harwire kit for the 8500. I bough one and harwired it right above the dasboard.

here are some tips on mounting

Best laser protection- as low as possible but still has clear view of road ahead

Best Radar protection- as high as possible not reccomended in the blue tinted area above rear view mirror
Old 12-06-2004, 01:01 PM

Where'd you get the hardwire kit? How much? I'd really like one with the smartcord feature...I use that all the time.

The only thing I might put in the cig lighter is a cell phone charger. Would it still be okay to use it for both of these you think?

How about wiretaps VS. soldering. Wiretaps would certainly be easier, but are they bad to use.

Andrew, I was just looking at that site. that looks like it might be a good way to do it. I was under there once and noticed I've got bose fuses (but no bose) so that might be a good thing to use since it's not being used. I'm a little confused about the fuse tap. is it something you can attach the wire to that slips into where a fuse goes? Where did you get it, or did it come with the V1?

Thanks alot everybody, this has been very helpful!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 04:59 PM

i have a spare smartwire cord for the hardwire setup on the 8500. if your interested in buying.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 6thGenMax
i have a spare smartwire cord for the hardwire setup on the 8500. if your interested in buying.
PM sent......I guess I read that too fast. Do you mean a hardwiring kit or the cord that plugs into the cig lighter? I guess I'd be interested in that too so I could take my time and not put the radar out of commission, but I wouldn't pay as much as a hardwire kit.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:31 PM

it retails for 29 it think

you can wire tap or splice the end and attach it to a fuse(this is what it did).

use a fuse that turns on when you turn the key not one that stays on all the time
Old 12-06-2004, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by f_399
it retails for 29 it think

you can wire tap or splice the end and attach it to a fuse(this is what it did).

use a fuse that turns on when you turn the key not one that stays on all the time
How did you attach it to a fuse? Just wrap it around or something? Which side of the fuse should it be attached to so that the electricity goes through the fuse first? Were'd you get the kit? Thanks!!
Old 12-06-2004, 07:58 PM

yeah just splice the end of the wire, look for a fuse... pull it out

attach the spliced end to the fuse... put fuse back

get a good ground.... any screw around the fuse area.... wont turn on if not grounded

wiring kit with remote display is $29.99. it comes stock with a wire tap that i dont know how to use so i just cut it out and just use the direct wire to the fuse
Old 12-06-2004, 08:06 PM

6th Gen,

I like it up there. Granted if I get hit from behind with laser, what the hell am I going to do? Run? I'm caught anyway. I like it up there. Deters theft and keeps it out of view. I used to run the ugly *** cord from the cig lighter to the windshield, which was a good spot but I hated the sight of it. Whatever floats your boat.

Terran,
I apologize if my write up wasn't that good. Yes, the blue fuse tap comes with the V1. Need anything else, just PM me. Good luck man.

Andy
Old 12-06-2004, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew

Terran,
I apologize if my write up wasn't that good. Yes, the blue fuse tap comes with the V1. Need anything else, just PM me. Good luck man.

Andy
Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like it comes with the 8500 wiring kit too. Thanks for your help.