Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need a sounding board

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2001, 07:29 AM

Being the father of 3 and having a 5th generation Max
putting a sub in the car isn't impossible but presents some challenges, as my wife won't like to give up ungodly amounts of trunk space.

my current idea (as I'm an SQ type rather than SPL) is for a single 12"

I'm going to use the space throught the pass-thru from the back of the rear seats to the vertical plane infront of the rear wheelwells I'm thinking it will afford me 1-2 cu ft.

So my sub of choice is either a Infinity 1220W or a
Nakamichi SPW 120 both work well in small sealed boxes
(Bridged by a RF 250a)

My Questions are;

* should I have it fire into the trunk or into the cabin of the car?

* would I have to allow for a "Vent" throught the rear deck

* with a sub in the trunk, it would necessitate sound dampening applied to the trunk lid and quarterpanels as well as the bottom , should I also consider doing the rear shelf/deck?

As there are other factors to consider I'm open to suggestions

TIA

Dave
Old 04-21-2001, 07:50 AM
CFC

some ideas...

Originally posted by Coldboot-SE
Being the father of 3 and having a 5th generation Max
putting a sub in the car isn't impossible but presents some challenges, as my wife won't like to give up ungodly amounts of trunk space.

my current idea (as I'm an SQ type rather than SPL) is for a single 12"

I'm going to use the space throught the pass-thru from the back of the rear seats to the vertical plane infront of the rear wheelwells I'm thinking it will afford me 1-2 cu ft.

So my sub of choice is either a Infinity 1220W or a
Nakamichi SPW 120 both work well in small sealed boxes
(Bridged by a RF 250a)

My Questions are;

* should I have it fire into the trunk or into the cabin of the car?

* would I have to allow for a "Vent" throught the rear deck

* with a sub in the trunk, it would necessitate sound dampening applied to the trunk lid and quarterpanels as well as the bottom , should I also consider doing the rear shelf/deck?

As there are other factors to consider I'm open to suggestions

TIA

Dave
couple of ideas:
-If you want a small box, you will need a closed box as opposed to a vented box. A vented box if made properly will have a lower -3dB cutoff than the closed box but needs to be bigger. So you might sacrifice a little bass for the size considerations.
-As far as dampening... YES, you will definitely need some. I don't know how sturdy the 5th gen trunk lid and rear deck are, but chances are you will need to do something. You can get a Dynamat equivalent, for like a 1/5th the price at http://www.mcmaster.com/ do a search for "hi-temp mastic" part# 9709T18. I believe 13 sq ft sell for about $12.00.
- I like firing the speaker in the trunk. Well really I have no coice with my bandpass box... but nonetheless you might just have to experiment.

hope that helps a bit.
Old 04-21-2001, 08:16 AM

Need a sounding board

Let me clarify something,
I intend to use a "Sealed box", as I know it has a softer roll off and is more "Musical" than a band-pass or vented type box (whatever order) what my real concern is, if I would have to have some sort of entry into the cabin space I.E. a vent through the rear deck for the sub in the trunk
for the sealed box to be effective at lower volumes.

Once you're above 100+ db's the box will be felt in the car
I know as bass is rather omni-present, alot of my installs have been in SUV's and this was never an issue, and my other car has a Coustic Bass-Pump with 2-10's firing through the pass-thru, so this is a 1st time evolution for me and I could use the input.

I've already stock piled 100+ sq ft of L-Mat and Know that may only be the start as I progress with the rest of the install.

TIA

Dave
Old 04-21-2001, 10:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Aim the sub towards the rear of the car. You don't need to do anything special to vent the sub's output into the interior of the car; it will be there. You probably won't need Dynamat. Go ahead and install the system and then see if you want to add Dynamat.
Old 04-21-2001, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Micah95GLE
Aim the sub towards the rear of the car. You don't need to do anything special to vent the sub's output into the interior of the car; it will be there. You probably won't need Dynamat. Go ahead and install the system and then see if you want to add Dynamat.
I thought Bass frequencies are non directional, so it doesn't matter which way you face the box
Old 04-21-2001, 01:18 PM

I have a 5th gen like you but have 2 JL 10W3's in the trunk with my amprack. I did not loose that much of my truck space for this install. I have the subs facing forward and I can honestly say that I can tell very little difference with the seats up and down.

You and I are thinking alike. I consider myself more of a SQ guy than SPL, but I like to hear bass everyonce and awhile! As for dynamat, I don't have much need. The only rattle I have is from the driver's side corner light (I have autodynamic clear rear's) and I don't think it seats in the cavity well.
Old 04-21-2001, 07:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

fire it through the ski hole opening towards the windshield...Seal it off comptely from the trunk with a baffle board and a roll of dynamat. This should completely do the trick. Clean hard bass and no rattles. Think about it this way, youre pressurising the cabin instead of the trunk. For more info go to http://members.cardomain.com/sweetsound2001
BTW, the ski hole opening is 11" wide so you can use a 10" which will work perfectly or a 12" sub but you will have to design the box to be at least an inch away from the rear-seat wall.

Good luck, and let us know when you decide...
Old 04-21-2001, 07:59 PM

Need a sounding board

Actually on the 5th generation the pass-thru has no armrest pull down, but rather a 60/40 seat arrangement. the actual pass-thru is big enough to handle 2-12's if I was so inclined.

I have a couple bass box programs and will fool around with them, as the box will definately have some complex mitre joints, with 3/4" MDF sounds like a new blade on the tablesaw.

I appreciate the help and will keep you posted possibly with in-process pixs, after I get this out of the way I'm gonna give building kickpanels a shot, as I'm putting 4" Vifa's with MB Quart tweets adjacent to the 6.5's in the door ( not the stock 6.5's either)

Dave
Old 04-21-2001, 08:04 PM

good luck
Old 04-21-2001, 10:40 PM

I have a 12" Kicker soloberic in my car, and it is plenty of bass for me. Most of my friends that also have car stereos in their cars think that I don't have enough bass, but others who are more audiophiles think that there is too much sometimes. I can tell you that facing the trunk lid, with no venting, it can be heard plenty good at lower volumes.

My car doesn't have the rigidity that the 5th gens have though, so I had to add some lining to the trunk to get rid of some rattles, although most of them dealt with the spoiler on my car. I think the only thing you would have problems with is the license plate as I have knocked on my mom's 2K trunk to hear the difference and that seems to be the only think that even slightly makes noise.