Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Strange Stereo Problem... VERY ODD, Need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2001, 02:08 PM
Siess

I just got a 2000 Maxima SE and am replacing the factory stereo with a pioneer FH-P700 Double DIN. I am using the wiring Harness off of my 97 Altima and they are are wired the same (I checked it out w/ multimeter) well, the stereo only works when the headlights are on. If I turn the headlights off, the stereo just keeps turning on and off ad infinitum. WTF?!?! It almost acts like i have the main power connected to the dimmer.. but I don't. I even tried switching the ignition and dimmer wires to see if that was the problem... well, again the stereo would only come on w/ the lights on and the dimmer raised to the max. Does anyone have a clue as to what could be going on? Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 04-21-2001, 02:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Siess
I just got a 2000 Maxima SE and am replacing the factory stereo with a pioneer FH-P700 Double DIN. I am using the wiring Harness off of my 97 Altima and they are are wired the same (I checked it out w/ multimeter) well, the stereo only works when the headlights are on. If I turn the headlights off, the stereo just keeps turning on and off ad infinitum. WTF?!?! It almost acts like i have the main power connected to the dimmer.. but I don't. I even tried switching the ignition and dimmer wires to see if that was the problem... well, again the stereo would only come on w/ the lights on and the dimmer raised to the max. Does anyone have a clue as to what could be going on? Any help would be much appreciated.
Other than to tell you you've obviously miswired the stereo power lead, I can't be much more help.
Old 04-22-2001, 08:01 AM
Siess

Originally posted by acitrano

Other than to tell you you've obviously miswired the stereo power lead, I can't be much more help.
I figured it out... everything was wired correctly. It turns out that if I turn off the dimmer option on my reciever, everything works just fine... don't know why it didn't like it, but hey, whatever.