Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

What do you guys think of this amp to power 4 speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 08:29 PM

What do you guys think of this amp to power 4 speakers?

Hey guys, in the next two weeks, I plan on hooking up my maxima with 4 new speakers, two 2-ways speakers in the front and two 3-ways in the rear. I'm upgrading from the non-bose crappy stock speakers, and keeping my headunit, because i hate the look of the aftermarkey fascia/bezels.

I haven't decided the speakers yet, but what I want is pretty much good clean sound, with enough bass to make the music sound good. I decided that before I get the speakers, I want to get myself an amp, just to get things going. What do you guys think of this amp, the Clarion APA450, to power 4 speakers and maybe a sub or two in the future. Should I look into more power, just as a back up fro the future?
Old 01-07-2005, 10:38 PM

Well I'll put it the easy way. That is good for interior only. And if you're planning on upgrading with some subs later on. It would be easier to get another amp for the subs.

But that amp will work for those interiors you're planning on getting. But you can probably find it cheaper at a local sound shop than crutchfield.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
Well I'll put it the easy way. That is good for interior only. And if you're planning on upgrading with some subs later on. It would be easier to get another amp for the subs.

But that amp will work for those interiors you're planning on getting. But you can probably find it cheaper at a local sound shop than crutchfield.
Ok so, I shouldn't use it to power any subs with this if I power the interior speakers, i understand. But now, is this amp good enough to even power 4 of the most powerful speakers around? I just don't want to worry about underpowering speakers (I know I haven't even decided on what speakers yet, so I shouldn't even attempt to compare it to the amp....), so if anyone can link me to nice suitable amp that is or below $100, that would also be nice .
Old 01-08-2005, 09:04 AM

Hey Snair,
You could stay away from the amp completely if you're going to stay with the stock hu. I left the stock hu in place, put a powered Infinity Basslink sub in the trunk, put Infinity Kappa components in the front, and Kappa 2 way's in the rear doors. The sound is absolutely incredible! Everyone who gets into my car raves about the audio quality. Any they can't believe that it's the Nissan stock hu that's feeding the speakers. It was an inexpensive and very functional solution for me......
Old 01-08-2005, 09:51 AM

Even the none-Bose, Clarion headunits are as good as you say? But the thing I'm wondering is, why is it when I max the volume, with all stock speakers, that my lights flicker... I don't know whether the flickering is good or bad, or more importantly, if it will damage something. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:13 AM

I picked up the apa450 amp from crutchfield for 85 bucks, found a promo code online for free shipping and 10 bucks off order I think. Im in the process of getting all the wiring I need for it at knukonceptz.com Ill let ya know how it works out when im finished with the install.