Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Stereo Head Units with the Bose system

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 10:06 AM

Stereo Head Units with the Bose system

I have heard that aftermarket head units and such are not that compatible with the stock bose speakers. They will lose their range, etc... I have a 97 SE. What has everyone else done with regards to their sound system/head unit. For the time being, all I want is a working CD player (my stock bose stopped working). What do you recommend as far as aftermarket headunits etc...
Old 02-08-2005, 10:46 AM

bose cd player

I have heard and have read the same thing you said. My bose cd player is acting up and only plays cds when it wants to. I have read that the speakers have their own built in amps, as well as the tweeters. Also, I have read that to replace the speakers, I will have to rewire the new speakers to my head unit. I am going to buy new speakers and try it out.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can hook up the aftermarket HU directly if you want, some people have done that. I have a converter thing for the bose system. Any car audio place should have one.

Make sure you get a headunit that can control your motorized antenna, I have a pioneer HU and the antenna stayed up all the time and would go down and then back up changing CDs, it was very annoying. So, I ended up unplugging my antenna to keep it from going up and down all the time.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:15 AM

you need the periphial bose adaptor for any aftermarket hu you are using with your stock bose spkrs- each bose spkr in the max has it's own amplifier- and can only be used properly when using the periphial bose adaptor, the adaptor is around $30 bucks and is easy to install- you will notice a much better sound if you get the adaptor- good luck - periphial is the name of the company that makes this adaptor - i've used it in my 95 max and have one in my 01 max -
Old 02-09-2005, 10:18 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by BLUEMAX01SE
you need the periphial bose adaptor for any aftermarket hu you are using with your stock bose spkrs- each bose spkr in the max has it's own amplifier- and can only be used properly when using the periphial bose adaptor, the adaptor is around $30 bucks and is easy to install- you will notice a much better sound if you get the adaptor- good luck - periphial is the name of the company that makes this adaptor - i've used it in my 95 max and have one in my 01 max -

This is False. There are actually Many different companies that manufacturer adaptors and any can be used.

Although an "adaptor" is not exactly needed at all.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The way it can be wired without the adapter is to put male RCAs on the speaker leads and then connect them to the preouts on the aftermarket headunit. Don gave me this idea so I will probably do this and save some money. Don, do you know if there will be a difference in sound quality if the adapter is used or not?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:05 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by JeEvE
The way it can be wired without the adapter is to put male RCAs on the speaker leads and then connect them to the preouts on the aftermarket headunit. Don gave me this idea so I will probably do this and save some money. Don, do you know if there will be a difference in sound quality if the adapter is used or not?
The adaptor is theoretically the same thing as this, although with a gain adjusability and a higher price tag. Depending on your HU SQ can be the same or better.

I also stock the Metra harnesses that are specifically for these systems. Primarily for when I dont have time to 'make' one.

--Don
Old 02-09-2005, 10:00 PM

I hooked up my Alpine HU without the convertor to my stock Bose speakers. But they still suckass.. I need to get some component set speakers.