Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

speaker wiring diagrams

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 10:29 PM

speaker wiring diagrams

ok, I have searched and searched and cant seem to find the wiring diagram for my 2000 SE, I looked all through the stickies, but most of the links leading to sites with the diagrams aren't working, most of them are from posts two or more years ago and prolly aren't good anymore. Where can I get the diagrams for my setup. It has the non bose system. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I was wondering where to run my wire through the firewall to the battery. I've done alot of installs, some good ones where I took my time, and some where I just wanted my system in asap. this is gonna be one where I take my time and do it right, just want to be prepared. I'm installing an alpine head unit, soundstream 6 channel amp, polk in the door, mb quart tweets, and 2 10" JL audio subs in the rear. Also wondering if I should put amp under seat or in trunk. I'm not even sure amp will fit under seat, thats where I'd like to put it to conserve trunk space. what do you guys think?
Old 02-08-2005, 11:30 PM

Heres the audio colors, Im not sure if this is all you need
12v - yellow
Ignition - purple
Illumination - red/white
Power Antenna - green/white
LF(+) - blue/white
LF(-) - blue/yellow
RF(+) - brown
RF(-) - brown/white
LR(+) - light green
LR(-) - black/yellow
RR(+) - blue
RR(-) - pink

If you have an automatic, look up where the clutch would go through the firewall, you should be able to peel back the rubber covering and expose the firewall. This is usually a good spot if you want to drill. I would put the amp on the back of the rear seat. Where are you putting the tweeters? Are you running the new speaker wire into the doors or to the back of the radio? More specific help can be given once you provide this info

-Kevin
Old 02-09-2005, 08:33 AM

thanks alot for the info. Yes, that is all I will be needing. I have an auto, so I will use the clutch area to come through the firewall, good idea. I'm gonna take the factory tweets out and replace them, so I'll just run new wire from them to the amp, and I've heard there is a wiring harness on the front doors, so I'm gonna try to catch the speaker wires coming off the harness to go to the amp for my front speakers, might have to run from the radio back to the amp. And I was planning on putting my subs facing the back seat, thats why I don't want to put amp there. I know when doing installs you can't plan for everything, usually I just start tearing car apart and going with it, but now I have a MAXIMA.... and its different. :-) want it done right so I can put pics on here and show you guys and not be ashamed of it. Not that I did bad jobs before, but most were just thrown in there. thanks for the help bro.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:59 PM

Yes, there is a harness in the front doors, its murder running new wire. You will hear some differing opinions on this, but I would run your speaker wire from the amp to the back of the radio, and use factory wiring from there. Then, find the speaker wire in your kick panel which goes into the door, cut it. This will give you your input for the crossover, output to the midbass, and all you have to do is drop the wire from the A pillar tweeter to the kick panel crossover. This is easier to do on the passenger side...you might have to extend the speaker wire 6 inches or so after you cut it on the drivers side, but its still the easiest way and you wont notice a sound quality difference.

Depending on how big the amp is it might fit...I have manual seats on my GXE so I have a little more room, just throw it under there and see.

Kevin