Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Sirius/XM Radio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 01:40 PM
.org extraordinaire

i kno

I know thats what it looks like to me but I'm just wondering I thought i read that Nismo and other guys were hooking up some antenna splitter or something like that.

ANyone have any inputtage?

Kam
Old 12-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hey i would like to know just what i need for sat radio. i found a connector in the trunk next to what i believe is the amp. its silver and has cooling fins. the connector is blue. what do i need to complete the install. i have a pioneer sirius tuner. but it only has like a round connector that says to head unit. and to changer. pleas help
Old 12-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yes you need the splitter. you can probabky get one at circuit city or best buy
Old 12-26-2005, 03:03 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by us024077
yes you need the splitter. you can probabky get one at circuit city or best buy
what does the splitter do? and what do i need it for?

Thanks,

Kam
Old 12-27-2005, 08:17 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by spoon787
hey i would like to know just what i need for sat radio. i found a connector in the trunk next to what i believe is the amp. its silver and has cooling fins. the connector is blue. what do i need to complete the install. i have a pioneer sirius tuner. but it only has like a round connector that says to head unit. and to changer. pleas help
you will need the OEM sat radio kit since you already have the wires installed,

here:
http://www.grubbsperformance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

and that splitter that they are talking about on this thread I guess..
Old 12-27-2005, 01:07 PM
SuPeRmOd

anyone ever search anymore?

the antenna is 1 wire. the tuner box needs 2 wires.

the splitter splits the antenna into 2 wires.

you need the antenna, splitter, box, and must be prewired (bose system)
Old 12-27-2005, 03:36 PM
.org extraordinaire

ok............

my tuner came with one antenna input and the antenna has one cable, or is there anything else that i am missing.

Kam
Old 12-27-2005, 04:25 PM

Hold on a minute. I you don't need the splitter. It should just plug into the tuner.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my car is prewired, and I dont have the bose system. (stock)

I bought the grubbs receiver and antenna. the splitter came with the receiver. very easy install. Everything is done in your trunk.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:35 PM

I ordered mine today and the guy at Grubbs said that the splitter is no longer needed in the new Maximas.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:08 PM
SuPeRmOd

^^you sure he didn't say new tuners? 06 would be new Maxima. my unit is out of an 05, which he has. you have an 04.....

If your box only has one input, then why didn't you just try to connect it?
Old 12-29-2005, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
^^you sure he didn't say new tuners? 06 would be new Maxima. my unit is out of an 05, which he has. you have an 04.....

If your box only has one input, then why didn't you just try to connect it?
I meant new tuners, sorry. I told him I had an 04 and he said that I did not need the splitter.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:24 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by JoesRedMax
I meant new tuners, sorry. I told him I had an 04 and he said that I did not need the splitter.
no apologies necessary atleast you guys saved about $30 for no splitter.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:55 AM

Wired FM Modulator Relay Install

I did a lot of research on how to install Satellite radio in my pre-wired 2004 Maxima but I still ended up learning a lot on my own. Hope this helps others.

Options I considered

Built-in Option:
1) Upgrade to factory radio ("grubbs option"). I agree this is the best if money is no object. I eliminated this based on cost and the thought I might like to have a portable unit so that I could use one subscription for both cars, home, and work.

Portable Options:
I bought ST2 Starmate Replay for $75 after rebate.

1)Built-in FM Modulator. I installed radio and it sounded great in my driveway. Ran a 20mi erand and came back totaly disappointed. I got a lot of static. I live in Southern California and it does not seem like there is an unused station for the entire region. I tried a few stations that were only unused during part of my trip. I was not going to constantly change the FM channel I was going to use so this option seems only good within a residence or at the beach.

2) PAC aai-nis - approx $80. I should have used this option. This uses radio's audio out connector and goes directly to receiver without going to fm. It has 2 Aux inputs can support both SAT and IPOD. These were all sold out in my area and I did not want to wait. I was told they are not easily available at this time as it is being re-engineered. PAC is only a few miles away but they were shut-down over the Christmas break. I was on my Chrismas break and wanted to complete my install while nothing else was going on. I will probably change to this in the future.

3) Wired FM Modulator Relay - approx $20 + $22 for antenna adapters. I purchased the Sirius Satellite Radio Wired FM Modulaotr Relay that is compatible with my sat radio (P/N 14110 Directed Electronics). My radio has an FM out that goes to this box. This is then placed between the car's antenna and radio, and will switch to the Sat input when the sat radio is turned on. When I bought this at Circuit City I asked if anything else was needed and they said that no adapters were needed(wrong). I then followed Dash Removal instructions on this site. I thought I would just reach back and un-connect antenna plug and insert Wired FM Modulator box, but I did not feel anthing that felt like standard antenna plug, I did unplug something that seemed like it could be an antenna but I thought it also could be power as it had two pins. Searched on-line some more and found I needed adapter cables to convert Nissan antenna to standard antenna. Went to Al-Eds and bought adapters. Put everything back together.

I took pics but do not have access rights to post them or start a new thread.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:39 PM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

Im familiar with both sirius and xm and i do prefer sirius only because of howard coming on the 9th but i have a pioneer avh-p5700dvd in my wifes sentra with sirius and love it plus antenna is inside mounted also i have a xact visor sirius portable with fm receiver built in and both are awesome as far as stations compared to xm plus reception cant be beat only signal loss on either is in a tunnel or a long overpass/underpass thats it so screw factory radios plus my xact was $39.00 at circuit city 2 weeks ago also being a subscriber has its privilages too online listening again its a two wire hook up(power and antenna) and away we go good luck to all and may the king of all media shine through 1-09-06 woo hoo
Old 01-04-2006, 10:21 AM

Sirius came on my new car purchase. I'm in the 3-month free demo right now. But I'm not ready to subscribe yet. The radio cuts out if I'm under something, like parked under a tree, driving under a bridge, or in the garage. It's like the antenna is optical or something! I don't know if this is the usual behaviour, but it has me wondering if subscription is worth it. And if it is, I'd probably go for the lifetime. (Lifetime pays off if you plan to have it for more than 3 years.)

I hear some digital artificats or distortion from digital compression when I listen to some stations or on some songs. And instead of the static hiss that I get from FM, Sirius may drop silent for a second while I'm listening. It's intermittant and only happens once in like 30 songs. Are these problems typical, or related to So-Cal driving?

It would be sweet if Sirius used some sort of SD card that I could pop-out and insert in a reciever at work or at home. Otherwise I would feel like I was paying for something that I couldn't use to it's full potential.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:39 AM
SuPeRmOd

^^mine has seldom "skips" when I'm under heavy tree canopies or pass under bridges or gassing up. yet while in a parking garage (open sides): full signal. also my rear window was covered with snow: perfect signal.

I blame it on the fact my antenna is inside my car, not on the roof. so I live with it. Call the dealer to see if they say anything and also call Sirius. They would just tell me to place it on the roof. I know Sat TV you have to place the dish outside and bad weather would interrupt it. (well atleast when I had it a while ago)

Better than an SD card, you can just sign online anywhere and listen to the music channels. I have my PC connected to my stereo, so I just log on for Sat. music for my home. Of course it depends on your Internet connection.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:04 PM

Just received my Sirius receiver from Grubbs, paid 275.00 including antenna. Going to paint the antenna to match car and hope to install this weekend.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:18 PM

I have mine on the front dash. Two days now driving to/from work and no drop outs. The quality of reception also depends on if you are near a Terestrial Repeater. The hardwired FM is much beter than using the wireless option. Here is a site that discusses the Repeater locations and how they work.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...48#post6536948
Old 01-04-2006, 12:46 PM
SuPeRmOd

I was under the impression only XM used repeaters.

Hardwired anything is better than FM signal. even cassette option is better. my friend could find no totally free signal in our area. even if you do, you have to constantly find a new one when traveling.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
I was under the impression only XM used repeaters.

Hardwired anything is better than FM signal. even cassette option is better. my friend could find no totally free signal in our area. even if you do, you have to constantly find a new one when traveling.
While we do have in place an extensive network of ground repeaters in many metropolitan areas, factors such as microwaves and physical obstruction (bridges and tunnels) may temporarily disrupt signal reception. This problem is largely held at bay by the four-second buffer created by slight broadcasting delays between our two satellites orbiting over the continental United States. In addition, SIRIUS has in place an extensive ground network of repeaters, which rebroadcast our signal in densely populated areas.

Source: Sirius FAQ
Old 01-04-2006, 09:23 PM
SuPeRmOd

^^^ good find. seems like someone has passed incorrect info.

I've witnessed the buffer. After going under a bridge, it was a few seconds before the skip. So SAT's con seems to continue to be interference and obstructions.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

For those that have installed themselves, did you cut the notch that the instructions said to do????

I wanna do the installation myself, But i'm not sure if i'm comfortable doing that part myself.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:01 AM

When I was researching this it seemed like most people just put the antenna in the interior of their car next to the brake light and then ran the wire into the trunk. They seemed to get good reception and not have the antenna on their roof. Some that did put the antenna on the roof had it painted to match their car before installing.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by salsita
For those that have installed themselves, did you cut the notch that the instructions said to do????

I wanna do the installation myself, But i'm not sure if i'm comfortable doing that part myself.
Would like to know this also. I already painted my antenna.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:23 PM

I have a 05 max SE and have a sirius sportster.
I mounted the unit to a goose-neck that bolts to the front seat bolt.

As of right now I am using the built in FM transmitter.

Does anyone notice a sound quality difference with the sirius?
No matter how clear the station is I still feel that the regular
local radio and the CD are much better sounding.

It seams like there are less highs with the sirius.

I have the home unit too and feel the same about the sound in the house.

Has anyone one else noticed a sound quality difference?

I plan on getting the PAC connector when they start making them again
unless some knows where I can get one now.

Let me know what you guys think?

Thanks

Ryan
Old 01-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'd like to thank everyone on this strand for laying out all the options that one can do to install satellite radio on their Nissans. My son just bought an Infinity G35 Coupe and was trying to decide what hardware to buy and what service to subscribe to. This group has saved us a lot of time researching this matter and have laid out all the options that are available as well as the possible pitfalls associated with these options. The group knowledge shared among the members is awsome!
Old 01-09-2006, 06:27 AM

My wife got me Sirius S50 for Christmas. Didn't hard wire it as it's a portable unit with a docking station for the car. (can use it like an Ipod, walkman, etc). I'm pleased overall. However I do get interruptions in the signal periodically--kind of like a split second silent spot. This is not when I'm in tunnels, under trees, etc. Any thoughts to the cause?
Old 01-09-2006, 08:57 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by m86stanggt
As of right now I am using the built in FM transmitter.
Sirius has nothing to do with that. No such thing as an unused FM signal anymore. Go with the PAC (best) or a cassette adapter for better quality. FM trans is worst concept ever. Even if you find a good station, once you travel, you'll have find a new station again.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:02 AM

I understand what you are saying but that does not explain why the quality is not that good in the house. That's a direct connection to a RCA jack.

Has any one else noticed this quality issue? Maybe the unit I have is messed up?

Thanks
Old 01-09-2006, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by jc53
My wife got me Sirius S50 for Christmas. Didn't hard wire it as it's a portable unit with a docking station for the car. (can use it like an Ipod, walkman, etc). I'm pleased overall. However I do get interruptions in the signal periodically--kind of like a split second silent spot. This is not when I'm in tunnels, under trees, etc. Any thoughts to the cause?
I can't offer a solution. But I can say that I also have this problem on my factory installed Sirius SAT radio that came on my 05 Max. I'm under some impression that as a signal is degraded from the Sat, which happens fairly often, the radio switches between different Sat's to replenish it's buffer. And this can cause a slight gap in audio. It might also occur when it switches from a local relay signal back to Sat. I can't really prove (or IMprove) anything, but this is what it sounds like to me.

Someone else described a signal drop on the Sirius, that made it sound slightly worse than FM radio. I've head my signal degrade too. However I'd describe it as what an FM radio station sounds like when the Stereo signal drops. The fidelity is lowered and the sound is slightly muffled or compressed. Again, I can't offer a solution for this problem. But I can testify that it's not just you who notices it. Perhaps we're just going through version 1.0 growing pains with Sat Radio service?
Old 01-09-2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by m86stanggt
I understand what you are saying but that does not explain why the quality is not that good in the house. That's a direct connection to a RCA jack.

Has any one else noticed this quality issue? Maybe the unit I have is messed up?

Thanks
Did you try adjusting the Sportster's Audio Level out.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:09 PM

ya did not effect the quailty
Old 01-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sirius Issues

My wife bought me the sportster replay for xmas. I was going to have the dealer install the antenna but I ended up doing it myself. It was easy. However I had to find a different FM channel to get reception. however now sometimes it is very clear then others it isnt. My real problem is my front speakers get a lot of static in them from the sat but not the radio. It is mainly the front left. Is there something wrong from the install or is there a speaker issue? thanks all.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:06 PM
.org extraordinaire

installed

I installed my unit today and got it activated over the internet on a yearly plan. I dont know how come I cant get all the channels, i get like 40,71,80,101,184 and thats about it. WTF......

Help.....

Kam
Old 01-09-2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
I installed my unit today and got it activated over the internet on a yearly plan. I dont know how come I cant get all the channels, i get like 40,71,80,101,184 and thats about it. WTF......

Help.....

Kam
It took me 30 minutes to get all the stations with my Nissan Sirius radio. Umm, total time to get activated was actually 2 hours. I didn't realize sat radio was so sensitive, and I had it in the garage with no reception for 1.5 hrs. I thought it to be like FM where I don't have to worry about unobstructed visibility with the sky! When I called Sirius tech support, he said that all Nissan receivers are the same. They take their sweet time to download the channel data. He said that any other receiver would have the data in 30 seconds. But Nissan can take 10 minutes on the quick. Once it stores the data, updates are done much quicker, and it behaves like all other receivers.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:37 PM
.org extraordinaire

damnit

so that means i have to keep waiting........................................:sq uint:

I went for a half hour drive in the high lands north of here and still i get the same **** channels and no channel 100. :@

So do I just leave it off or on or on channel 000?

Kam
Old 01-09-2006, 10:26 PM

I left mine on what I could listen to. I think it loaded the rest of the channels as I drove around.

When I first created my account, I called Sirius to activate my 90 day demo but I was parked in the garage and I didn't get the sync signal from Sirius. So after waiting 30 min's for it, I rolled outside and called them back to send it again. The tech support said the customer support person fubar'ed my account and fixed my account number. The 2nd sync worked and in 10 min's I had a station, not all stations. While playing around with it, sometimes the stupid thing wouldn't change between the two channels that I did get (28 & 33). It kept telling me invalid channel, then tried to switch back to what I was listening to previously. Next I got stuck searching under Genre's that I didn't have loaded and I thought it would never download the station list. I never set it to 000.

After the 30 mins of listening to a station, it had the rest of the channels and I could change between stations quickly. And occasionally I can listen to it while inside the garage. Woot!

If you still don't have all the station by now, call support and have them send you the synchronize signal again.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

once it is installed and all channels received, we should see the name of the song and channel right??
Old 01-13-2006, 04:30 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by salsita
once it is installed and all channels received, we should see the name of the song and channel right??
wrong

depends on which display you choose w/ the Audio button

Quick Reply: Sirius/XM Radio Questions