Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Sirius/XM Radio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 04:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question for all??? I am going to install my grubbs tuner kit and antenna today...1. Grubbs does not provide the brackets and indicate that the double sided foam tape works fine - this makes me nervous, anyone with experience? 2. Grubbs also recommended installing the antenna to sit on the trunk lid - anyone have the antenna there? Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
Old 02-04-2006, 08:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

double sided stickey worked fine for me
Old 02-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mzx380
that's good info man, thanks for checking in
now if only someone can confirm that it works in the rear window rather than mounting that bad boy outside

Mine is mounted in the rear window and I have not had any problems.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1999 Max GLE / Stock Radio / Sirius Unit Question

All,

I have a 1999 Max gle with the standard Bose system (made by clarion I think) I also have an XACT visor Sirius reciever, and the FM transmitter is quite a pain. I can never find a station that has no interference in my area.

My question is: Does the std radio that I have in my car have any inputs so that I could hook it up directly? It would be great to know that before I take apart the dash looking for something (that may or may not be there).

Thanks in advance for any help
Dean
Old 02-04-2006, 01:24 PM

I saw Kams post saying the Grubs tuner kit comes with Sirius mini antenna....Anybody know anything about this?

...If true. do I need the extra $40 anetnna or will this work for me?

Also, is the first 3 month trial free as stated on Grubs website?
Old 02-05-2006, 07:54 AM

I'm pretty sure they'll offer three free months for any new activation
check sirius's website

Old 02-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by jbigham
Question for all??? I am going to install my grubbs tuner kit and antenna today...1. Grubbs does not provide the brackets and indicate that the double sided foam tape works fine - this makes me nervous, anyone with experience? 2. Grubbs also recommended installing the antenna to sit on the trunk lid - anyone have the antenna there? Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
The antenna WILL NOT mount on the trunk lid as it's made of aluminum and the magnet won't stick. Go with the roof mount and run the wire down the window weatherstripping and through the trunk.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:18 PM

aite jokie
how about the rear window mount

do you think that's good?

Old 02-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

aite jokie
how about the rear window mount

do you think that's good?

Can't help you there bro. Mine is up on the roof where god and Mr. Sirius wanted it to be. It sounds like others have had good luck with it there but it still should be your 2nd option vs. the roof.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:18 AM

the only reason why i'm not sure is because of how it will make the car look when that thing is added

can anyone who views this thread and has a sat. antenna on the roof please hook it up and give me a picture

thanks

Old 02-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

the only reason why i'm not sure is because of how it will make the car look when that thing is added

can anyone who views this thread and has a sat. antenna on the roof please hook it up and give me a picture

thanks

The antenna is very unobtrusive and can be painted to match your car. I love the look of it as I think it adds a high tech appeal to it although thieves might agree.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:38 AM

anyone know where i can find some pictures of users who have the antenna installed on the roof?

Old 03-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just a heads up for anyone looking at the PAC interface. I was under the impression that it would give me the same song, artist, and title info that the factory receiver does but all that shows up on my screen is SIR-001 no matter what station I am on. The following email I received from PAC's support confirms this:
"The AAI-NIS2 has nothing to do with the display of the aftermarket Sirius receiver. It will only give you 2 audio inputs. It will display will SR -1 for auxiliary input 1 and SR – 2 for auxiliary input 2. The channel will not change. If that is a feature that you want, you will need to get a factory satellite unit. "

Sorry for any confusion on this. If I would have known this was the case I would have just hardwired the unit instead.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jokiefan
Just a heads up for anyone looking at the PAC interface. I was under the impression that it would give me the same song, artist, and title info that the factory receiver does but all that shows up on my screen is SIR-001 no matter what station I am on. The following email I received from PAC's support confirms this:
"The AAI-NIS2 has nothing to do with the display of the aftermarket Sirius receiver. It will only give you 2 audio inputs. It will display will SR -1 for auxiliary input 1 and SR – 2 for auxiliary input 2. The channel will not change. If that is a feature that you want, you will need to get a factory satellite unit. "

Sorry for any confusion on this. If I would have known this was the case I would have just hardwired the unit instead.
that's wierd
some 6th gen owners say yes, some say no
i wonder what the deal is when i get mine done
in essence we should tell sirius and nissan to
Old 03-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

that's wierd
some 6th gen owners say yes, some say no
i wonder what the deal is when i get mine done
in essence we should tell sirius and nissan to
What puzzles me is when I hit the display button it gives me the title, artist, station, and another option which tells me the interface is somehow reading from the plug and play receiver? but when i choose anything other than station i have a blank screen. You're right though, these satellite companies need to make this stuff more user friendly if they want it to catch on.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:07 PM

Hey all, I just finished a hardwire install of XM radio in my 97 Max. Here are some pics. I have my antenna installed on the roof right in front of the sunroof.

http://home.kc.rr.com/ottolexus/
Old 03-20-2006, 05:30 AM

(coffee first) ahh, now i'll ask

is your antenna gray? looks like it from the photo. i wanna know cause i'm buying my kit next month for my black max, don't want it to be too prominent.

good install by the way
Old 03-20-2006, 07:37 AM

I am bout to add Xm radio. I have been wanting satilite radio for soooo long. I think I am finally about to get it. XM is the way to go for me, they got lots more dance / EDM stations. Also more jazz and unconvential type stations.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:59 AM

I'm assuming you are talking to me. No, the antenna is black. It may just look gray in the photo for some reason but its definitely black. I was going to mount it on the trunk and you can't tell any color difference from the paint.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:33 PM

yea ralow
i was talking to you. i'm gonna see about having it done early next month, the only question is what service do i want. i hear sirius has a better selection of channels but xm plays more underground music.....thats a tuff one

any thoughts?\
Old 03-20-2006, 01:28 PM

yea ralow
i was talking to you. i'm gonna see about having it done early next month, the only question is what service do i want. i hear sirius has a better selection of channels but xm plays more underground music.....thats a tuff one

any thoughts?\
Well, I picked XM over Sirius cuz they had a better selection of R&B and Hip Hop stations that played 24/7. I had a chance to sample a Sirius radio and some of the stations turned off after a while so even though they advertised having 6 stations there was only 3 or 4 playing at once. That could be changed though now. XM also had a better selection of dance/club music. I don't know if you are into sports at all but I'm a baseball fan and XM has ALL the games. Sirius is cool with NBA and NFL but those sports aren't as radio friendly to me. I did like listening to all the Knicks games when I had a chance to sample Sirius. Football is better when watched on TV.

Anyway, I guess its up to you...they are almost the same other than the Hip-Hop and R&B stations and Howard Stern.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:15 PM

the auxiliary interfaces only give you a port behind the radio this works for some 99 to 2002 and you get 2 ports for the 2003 to 2006 vehicles but there is not any data or text send to the radios you can use this aux interfaces to input audio from xm radio ipod or any mp3 player or audio source here is the link to some of theinterfaces and the link to the instructions for new radios with sat buttons

https://www.oemautosound.com/c-96-ni...onverters.aspx

http://www.oemautosound.com/documents/aainis2.pdf
Old 03-21-2006, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ralow
Well, I picked XM over Sirius cuz they had a better selection of R&B and Hip Hop stations that played 24/7. I had a chance to sample a Sirius radio and some of the stations turned off after a while so even though they advertised having 6 stations there was only 3 or 4 playing at once. That could be changed though now. XM also had a better selection of dance/club music. I don't know if you are into sports at all but I'm a baseball fan and XM has ALL the games. Sirius is cool with NBA and NFL but those sports aren't as radio friendly to me. I did like listening to all the Knicks games when I had a chance to sample Sirius. Football is better when watched on TV.

Anyway, I guess its up to you...they are almost the same other than the Hip-Hop and R&B stations and Howard Stern.
actually ralow, you hit the nail on the head
i'm a huge baseball fan and that was really the only sticking point for xm and me as i thought the music content of sat. radio would be the same. i mostly listen to to hip hop & house music so if what you're saying is true then xm would definetly be the one for me. sure there's howard and all that other stuff, but i'm not THAT much of a fan to get it just for that. do you know if xm has a channel devoted to baseball 24/7 or do they just give you coverage of games?

more info would be huge
thanks
Old 03-21-2006, 08:15 AM

You can go here and find out all the info about MLB on XM:

http://xmradio.com/programming/channel_page.jsp?ch=175

They do have a 24/7 baseball channel in addition to playing ALL the games. They also "replay" some of the games from the day before. Basically, if you are a baseball fan you will be happy with XM. I know I am and its only Spring Training.