Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Amp wiring problem... help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Amp wiring problem... help!

My current setup looks like this. RF HU, preout fronts to an Alpine 70x2 (4 channels bridged to 2) into my front components. Preout rears into an RF Punch 55 to a pair of mids on my rear deck.

I recently acquired a pair of used JBL GT120D subs in a nice box. I got a used Coustic 401SE amp to run them 200 x 2 (each at 2 ohms). For a quick n dirty install I unhooked the rear RCAs that went the the RF Punch and hooked them to the Coustic. It sounded grand. Deafening hair vibrating bass. However, I didn't nail the amp down to anything, as I planned to do better install later. I think the power wires unhooked when I went around a corner fast, the protection switched on, and the whole system turned off. I noticed a "burning electronics" smell (oh crap). I pulled over, fixed the wiring, turned it back on and it sounded fine. But then I turned off my stereo just in case for the ride home. So the other night I went to do a nicer install, mounting the Coustic and RF Punch to the back of the sub box, power wires going through a distribution block. The system didn't work.

I tried some things and found that when i touch the remote lead to the RF Punch (HU playing, Alpine amp working just fine) it turns off the whole system. Remove it from the remote lead, and the Alpine clicks back on like nothing. If I do the same with the Coustic, the amp turns on but very little sound comes out. Volume increases slightly when I turn up the gain and the bass boost, but nothing close to what it should sound like. But the weird thing is that for a half second AFTER I remove the power wire from the amp, the amp plays at normal volume, then of course turns off.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

--- 4th gen Max'er
Old 02-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Crooper_Hedder
My current setup looks like this. RF HU, preout fronts to an Alpine 70x2 (4 channels bridged to 2) into my front components. Preout rears into an RF Punch 55 to a pair of mids on my rear deck.

I recently acquired a pair of used JBL GT120D subs in a nice box. I got a used Coustic 401SE amp to run them 200 x 2 (each at 2 ohms). For a quick n dirty install I unhooked the rear RCAs that went the the RF Punch and hooked them to the Coustic. It sounded grand. Deafening hair vibrating bass. However, I didn't nail the amp down to anything, as I planned to do better install later. I think the power wires unhooked when I went around a corner fast, the protection switched on, and the whole system turned off. I noticed a "burning electronics" smell (oh crap). I pulled over, fixed the wiring, turned it back on and it sounded fine. But then I turned off my stereo just in case for the ride home. So the other night I went to do a nicer install, mounting the Coustic and RF Punch to the back of the sub box, power wires going through a distribution block. The system didn't work.

I tried some things and found that when i touch the remote lead to the RF Punch (HU playing, Alpine amp working just fine) it turns off the whole system. Remove it from the remote lead, and the Alpine clicks back on like nothing. If I do the same with the Coustic, the amp turns on but very little sound comes out. Volume increases slightly when I turn up the gain and the bass boost, but nothing close to what it should sound like. But the weird thing is that for a half second AFTER I remove the power wire from the amp, the amp plays at normal volume, then of course turns off.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

--- 4th gen Max'er

Find a local repair center for that amp. I'm afraid its toast. You don't smell electronics burning and have things just be fine ... ever!
Old 02-15-2005, 01:56 PM

It wasn't the amp that burned, I'm positive, because I smelled it in the car, and quickly popped the trunk and there was no smell in there (where the Coustic was).

My Alpine (front amp) is located under the passenger seat. The power wire goes from the battery (through a fuse of course) to the Alpine and then heads back to the trunk to power the rear amps. The HU is also attached to the power wire. Remote lead follows the same path. RCA's go on the inside (left) of the passenger seat to the trunk.

I think the burning might have come from the HU. I'm thinking maybe the remote lead got shorted to a ground wire or something.... but my Alpine (front) amp turns on and works just fine. The subs are fine, I hooked them up to another amp they pound.

The fact that the Coustic reaches normal volume for a half second after the power wire is unhooked is that part that gets me. Internal capacitors unloading (my guess), but why doesn't it sound fine when plugged in?
Old 02-15-2005, 05:31 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

While I'm no authority on the subject, are you using the correct gauge wiring? You might be causing some thermal overload somwhere due to insufficent heat dissipation...particularly if you are playing at such high levels with the gain cranked.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:13 PM

I know I should be using 4 ga wiring, and I have 8 ga, because when I designed the system I didn't think I'd better large subs. I ran into some money and got a good deal, so boom I have them.

But that's not an issue. It worked fine before. And if it has thermal issues then it should at least start at full volume and fade over time right? The issue is that something seems to be shorting and I can't figure out what. The RF amp that runs my rear mids doesn't work at all. The system behaves the same when I touch the remote lead to the ground as when I touch it to the remote input on the amp. The amp worked fine before I pulled it.

Does anyone have an idea? And please not just "you're an idiot"