Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

I broke my new ported speaker box....that sucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 06:49 PM

I broke my new ported speaker box....that sucks

Rear plywood came unscrewed, blew the screws off the amp mounted to the back and the cap. Only pushing about 1000 RMS, 1600 peak. Now, have to stop by the stereo shop tomorrow and see what they can do. Box is ported so surprised this happened. I imagine a few more screws will be the quick fix. Just a off the hip post. Pull the rear seat down, all the amp screws are blown out and the rear of the box is just hanging on there. Speakers seem to be OK, but the rattle of the broken box is horrible. Real tired of spending time in stereo shops. Sorry, just venting.

Pic of the before, now the rear board is just hanging on, amp and cap blew the screws off the mount and fell. Never though a ported box would do this.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:10 PM

so the back panel of the box came off?

was it a prefab box?
Old 02-25-2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
so the back panel of the box came off?

was it a prefab box?
Prefab box. Also, blew out the mounting screws from the amp and one from the cap. Amp is kinda laying on the side right now. I noticed loss of bass, and checked the speakers, still moving fine but a nasty rattle from the rear, dropped the seats and found the amp fell and the rear of the box, wood moves and rattles. Could the weight of the amp caused this?

Shot of the front of the box, 2 12" Pioneer subs..

Old 02-25-2005, 07:17 PM

yes, it could if the box was poorly constructed (sadly apparent in your case).

i'd get someone to build you a proper and sturdier box.

edit:
second thought, i don't think the weight of the amp can break it unless it's hella heavy which i highly doubt. it might have been a manufactoring defect.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:36 PM

yes, it could if the box was poorly constructed (sadly apparent in your case).

i'd get someone to build you a proper and sturdier box.

edit:
second thought, i don't think the weight of the amp can break it unless it's hella heavy which i highly doubt. it might have been a manufactoring defect.
You were right Fosgate Fan, box blew the front and rear loose. Staples and glue was not strong enough. Reason the amp fell was probably the fact that they used the small metal screws and not wood screws. They took almost 3 hours to restaple and glue the box. Seems like so far so good. Thanks for your help. At least the amp and speakers are OK. Really need to get a nice box custom made one day to look better in the trunk and fit flush.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:48 PM

glad they fixed it. if done right, the rest of the box will break before the joints will. wood glue can do some amazing stuff.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:53 PM

wow thats how you know you got a good sounding system jk. or maybe too much weight on the back?
Old 02-26-2005, 09:44 PM

glad they fixed it. if done right, the rest of the box will break before the joints will. wood glue can do some amazing stuff.
I just chalk it up to a crappy prefab box that blew out the staples....and the amp falling down because the installer used wrong screws, not wood screws. My system has about about 1K invested in it, giving up more than enough trunk space, hoping it just stays together for more than a week. If you only knew the nightmare of blowing out 2 Planet Audio amps before I upgraded the the Kenwood and replacing the single 12" powered by the Planet Audio amp.

Went from that to this:

Kenwood amp is strong as hell.......so far. Again, thanks for the help.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:52 PM

no prob, looks pretty good. I was about to get a prefab box for my Brahma as well since the shops around here quoted me an arm and a leg for a custom box. then i found a local guy that does them relatively cheap. here's mine