Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

pac adapter quality question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 01:21 PM

pac adapter quality question

Awhile back, I remember someone saying that there was no difference in the two sets of RCA outputs provided by the pac adapter. I actually did notice a difference. I initially had a 12" subwoofer hooked up by tapping into the rear 8"subwoofer. I decided to go with the RCA's to get a cleaner install and because the RCA's are supposed to sound better. When I hooked it up, I noticed that the 12"subwoofer didn't get as loud with the RCA's as it did when it was tapped into the rear 8"subwoofer. I changed the RCA output from the first pair in the pac adapter to the second one, and the 12" subwoofer then sounded louder. So I'm assuming the two RCA's outputs are giving out different amounts of signal from the pac adapter. Maybe one is designed for the front speakers (which would be less loud) and the other desiged for the back speakers? The front one wasn't quiet and crappy sounding, just wasn't as loud as the other one.

Does it make sense this should happen? Or do I perhaps have some type of faulty equipment causing the sound to be louder depending on which set of RCA's are used out of the pac adapter.

The reason I'm bringing this up, is because I have an extra subwoofer in the garage gathering dust and I'm going to put it in the max to see how it sounds with the 10" amplified bass tube in there now. To add the subwoofer, I'll need a second pair of RCA's to get signal into the amplifier. I'm curious if I'd be better off running a second pair of RCA cables from the second pair of RCA outputs on the pac adapter (the one that plays low), or if I would be better off getting an RCA splitter and splitting the signal from the high playing RCA output. Would the RCA splitter cause a big loss in sound quality?