Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

How can i hook up this particular HU(KVT-715DVD) to an existing BOSE?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 09:31 PM

How can i hook up this particular HU(KVT-715DVD) to an existing BOSE?

I want to add this HU that my friend recently sold me, (he also had a 4th gen max) to my already existing 97 BOSE system, replacing the BOSE HU, but keeping the BOSE speakers, and hoping they will still sound as good. Ive read something about a PAC-2-OEM convertor, what exactly is this, and what else might i need? This is the link to the HU, its a kenwood In-Dash 7" Monitor DVD/CD/MP3/WMA Receiver
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/re...oductId%3D2556
How exactly do i wire this up? My friend sold it to me, and said he bought a bunch of extra new wires, that he gave to me at no additional cost, along with the sirius satelite radio reciever. He also said that i had to wire it in some specific way and ground it in a certain way on the firewall, not sure what he meant. Im a rookie at this electronics stuff, so im also wondering if i should attempt to do this install myself (with another friend who does know about systems, but has never done this type of conversion), or should i tell a shop to do it? I really want this DVD player in my car already, especially the satellite radio, and its been sitting in my house for a year now.

Also, How do i make up for the space in the double-din unit area?
If someone can help me with these questions, it would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-28-2005, 05:35 PM

You have a couple of options when doing this install on factory Bose. If you dont already have the PAC adapter, your cheapest/still very effective bet is to use your preouts to power the Bose. This is gonna get tricky if your a newb (no offense) so read it a couple times if you get confused. Take a couple male RCA cables. On your radio you have a single RCA jack for front left, front right, rear left, and rear right. In each single RCA cable that you put into one of those jacks, if you cut it there will be two wires inside that RCA. Wire these straight up to the speaker wire of your aftermarket wiring harness for the car, which will send an unamplified audio signal to the Bose amps. The power and accessory wires you can wire straight from the car's harness to the radio's harness, and the ground coming out of the radio needs to go to bare metal since there isnt a ground in the factory wiring harness. The satellite radio antenna needs to go on the trunk lid or roof of the car, and run the antenna wire in either through weather stripping or through the trunk into the car. The sat radio tuner box should only need power and ground beyond that, and then theres the cable from it which will go to the head unit. Then, as far as the double din space, any audio shop will have a universal nissan pocket which will either take up the top half or bottom half of the space depending on where your preference is.

-kevin