Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Sacrifice spare tire for amps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sacrifice spare tire for amps?

Hey guys,

Right now, I have a 4-5" tall amp tray under the carpet in my trunk. I have it set up so that the spare is still accessible. But when I get subs this summer, I know I'm going to need those extra inches to fit in a nice box. Also, once the box is in there, it won't be terribly easy to access the spare anyway. I see some people remove the spare completely so they can mount their amps there and I like this idea. I have AAA, so I figure I'll just have to rely on them if I ever get a flat. Do you guys think it's a good idea to take out the spare just to have a better location to hide the amps? Or should I just find a way to make the subs work, keep the amp(s) in the tray that I built, and just keep the spare in there even though it will be very hard to get to? Thanks for the input.

-Brian
Old 04-10-2005, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Big Du
Hey guys,

Right now, I have a 4-5" tall amp tray under the carpet in my trunk. I have it set up so that the spare is still accessible. But when I get subs this summer, I know I'm going to need those extra inches to fit in a nice box. Also, once the box is in there, it won't be terribly easy to access the spare anyway. I see some people remove the spare completely so they can mount their amps there and I like this idea. I have AAA, so I figure I'll just have to rely on them if I ever get a flat. Do you guys think it's a good idea to take out the spare just to have a better location to hide the amps? Or should I just find a way to make the subs work, keep the amp(s) in the tray that I built, and just keep the spare in there even though it will be very hard to get to? Thanks for the input.

-Brian
I took my spare out in the name of my sub amp and EQ. I've never had a flat tire out on the road so I figured, like you, if it ever happens that's what insurance and cell phones are for.

Tony
Old 04-10-2005, 04:58 PM

if u do alot of driving in the country on somthing like that where there is very few people then it might be best to keep the spare, i do mainly around town driving so there is low chances of getting a flat tire and haveing no help, and if u have a cell phone u should do just fine with out the spare tire
Old 04-10-2005, 10:34 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

I havent had a spare for years now, but Ill always have amps. I figure the money that AAA charges I should get a use out of it at one point or another...
Old 04-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Im izz sexay

Build a false floor if you want to keep your spare.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by VG Ill ridah
Build a false floor if you want to keep your spare.
I already have a false floor. That's what I meant by "tray". I'm just not happy with the amount of height I lose with it in there. This is what I have:

Old 04-11-2005, 03:41 PM

very nice, but it seems like alot of wasted space to me. I think I would keep the spare, I like being prepared for things and drive 45 miles on a parkway that doesn't see much traffic at the time I go to work. Really depends on where all you drive like someone said earlier. anyway, looks good.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:08 PM

Not the best picture, but here's my spare tire well with my amp and EQ. I also have one amp under each seat & my speakers are run actively, so I don't have any xovers to worry about mounting either.

Tony
Old 04-11-2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Fernandes
Not the best picture, but here's my spare tire well with my amp and EQ. I also have one amp under each seat & my speakers are run actively, so I don't have any xovers to worry about mounting either.

Tony
Hey Tony,

Does the amp stay cool when you have the trunk carpet over it?