Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

best cheap speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 11:22 PM

best cheap speakers?

i'm not looking for a system, i just want something that will sound decent. i've pretty much decided on a pioneer deh-p7700mp head unit, and i just want 4 speakers that will give me a decent balanced sound. it's been a while since i've looked into speakers, so i'm kind of out of the loop.

i'm probably not looking to spend more than $100-$150.

i know i know, it'll sound like crap. i don't really care, this car is just getting me to and from work/school until i graduate next year (hopefully) and then i'm giving it to my sister, so it's not that important. i'm just sick of the old crappy sony tape deck the previous owner put in, plus i think i have 3 working speakers right now...

thanks for any help.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:38 PM

whats the overall budget for a radio and 4 speakers?
Old 04-28-2005, 11:40 PM

head unit i can pick up for around 200, so probably 350 total
Old 04-29-2005, 12:00 AM

id PM pearl96max. hes in your state and could possibly work with that budget.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've got a pair of CDT Cl-6xs for sale . Check the classifieds. Most here just use them as rear fill, but they'd be a huge improvement over stock for the fronts too.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:59 AM

I would HIGHLY recommend the CDT's. If you can find them in your price range you would not be dissapointed. If you can save about another $50, you can buy the CDT components for $150 and then just look for a cheap 100x2 amp on ebay and you'll have one pretty decent setup to get you through the year.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok so the fronts are 4x6 and the backs are 6x9.....I don't want a sub, just four high-quality 3-way speakers, what's the best brand of speaker/amp to buy?.....money's not an issue
Old 04-30-2005, 12:10 PM

Nyce: go with pioneer or kenwood 3 way speakers for the front, and a set of pioneer or kenwood 2 ways for the rear..make sure they're the same size as your stock opening so they fit in easily, and drive them with the headunit, thats going to sound fine for your budget..I'm still using pioneer 4x6's in the doors of my 3rd gen, and cheap factory style pioneer dual cone paper 6.5's for the rear just for a little fill..I ran it all off my headunit for quite awhile..I eventually switched to driving the fronts with a pioneer amp and the rears with the headunit..some day I'll make pods for 6.5's for the doors, but there are other, more important things to worry about before I do that...

As for the BEST 3 ways where money is not an option, ask Don..I'd lean toward using boston acoustics for triaxials myself, but thats only because no one has let me listen to anything better locally...
Old 04-30-2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Terran
I've got a pair of CDT Cl-6xs for sale . Check the classifieds. Most here just use them as rear fill, but they'd be a huge improvement over stock for the fronts too.
sent you a pm
Old 04-30-2005, 10:30 PM

boston acoustics fx series are good 'cheap' speakers. they run about $100
Old 04-30-2005, 11:43 PM

I'd vouch for the CDTs...i will b using them for rearfill, but that's a good deal @ that price.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:02 AM

Polk MMC 650
Those things are amazing for the price
Old 05-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
As for the BEST 3 ways where money is not an option, ask Don..I'd lean toward using boston acoustics for triaxials myself, but thats only because no one has let me listen to anything better locally...
Who's Don if you don't mind me asking...
Old 05-02-2005, 11:35 PM

moderator of this forum, pearl96max

can't go wrong with bostons, but they're a tad pricey
Old 05-03-2005, 05:15 AM

I'm an old member, back for a visit and a question. For some reason the search feature doesn't work for me so I'm posing this question here.

I'm looking for replacements for my '97GXE. I don't plan on replacing the headunit so I want replacements that are most suitable for this. What are the specifications in terms of wattage? From what I've read, I should be looking for speakers with rubber butyl surrounds instead of cloth. This may sound discouraging, but I'm not looking to spend more than $40 per pair. I've seen them for cheaper online, brands like Pyramid and Pyle...even Pioneer. Any suggestions?

What are the speaker sizes? I was told 6.5" by someone but want to make sure. I don't want to have to dismantle the car to find out so if someone here could let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it. I did notice that Maxqueef stated that the rears are 6X9". I assume him to be talking about a different generation car because upon looking at the speakers from the inside of the trunk, they appear to be round, not elliptical.

I saw in the FAQ some pictures on how to do the job, but not all the pages seem to be posted. Is there a link to the entire set of directions?

Thanks
Al
Old 05-04-2005, 11:14 AM

haha. I think everything mentioned here is a bit pricey. heh, just head to Walmart.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Albertt
I'm an old member, back for a visit and a question. For some reason the search feature doesn't work for me so I'm posing this question here.

I'm looking for replacements for my '97GXE. I don't plan on replacing the headunit so I want replacements that are most suitable for this. What are the specifications in terms of wattage? From what I've read, I should be looking for speakers with rubber butyl surrounds instead of cloth. This may sound discouraging, but I'm not looking to spend more than $40 per pair. I've seen them for cheaper online, brands like Pyramid and Pyle...even Pioneer. Any suggestions?

What are the speaker sizes? I was told 6.5" by someone but want to make sure. I don't want to have to dismantle the car to find out so if someone here could let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it. I did notice that Maxqueef stated that the rears are 6X9". I assume him to be talking about a different generation car because upon looking at the speakers from the inside of the trunk, they appear to be round, not elliptical.

I saw in the FAQ some pictures on how to do the job, but not all the pages seem to be posted. Is there a link to the entire set of directions?

Thanks
Al
well im not sure if you have stock components but if you do not for $50 a pair you can get some CDT coaxials which are good for the price. no offense, but a $40 budget for speakers is really really low. i know you are not looking for amazing sound quality but still... id probably take stock speakers over anythung legacy, pyramid, rockwood (or rockhood as i call it) anyway.