Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Focal Utopia subwoofer install, '01 suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Focal Utopia subwoofer install, '01 suggestions?

I will be purchasing and installing a Focal Utopia 10" sub soon in a ported custom box. I intend to install it facing into the cabin. With the '01 max I have a split fold down seat and was hoping to retain some trunk pass through ability. I am thinking of mounting the box on the 40/ split of the 60/40 side. I know I need to seal off the 60 side to obtain the best sq. Can anyone recommend a good way to do this so whatever seals that side can be removed when I need the passthrough?

Also, in my box design I would like to create a rear wall of the box with plexi, lexan, or similar clear material. Any recommendations on thickness or what the best material will be. I would rather pay more for the best material than less for something not as solid.

Thanks for the help gurus!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:59 AM

someone is on the right train of thought.

I'm just a little confused Guess cause there's no pics.

So you're planing on having a box built to the size of your 40 section, with the port facing the cabin. But you still want to seal the 60 section.... Something just isn't adding up in my brain just right.

There's no reason to seal up the 60 section if the port is facing into the cabin. Really no reason to seal up the trunk period with it in that direction, so close. Most of the pressure will dissapate into the cabin itself.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:24 AM

i dont think you seal off a cabin with a ported box but thats just a guess. anyone know for a fact?
Old 05-04-2005, 11:37 AM

I was told from a high end shop I visit that it is best to seal off the trunk if the sub is firing into the cabing. I understand this will give me the best possible SQ. I am not concerned with spl but want the sound to be as accurate as possible. I suspect that if I do not seal off the trunk, I will receive back wave and resonance that from the chamber that is created when I put the seat up. I believe this will somewhat defeat the accuracy of the tuned port.

When I visited the shop, we very quickly designed a ported solution in which we positioned the port to fire into the cabin as well. Here are some pictures of the location and split.

I would like to situate the box on the 40 split side to gain as much throughput as possible when needed. I am unfamiliar with ways to seal the trunk. I've always had a sealed box in the past and had decent but not audiophile grade installs.

Keep the comments coming all! I appreciate your input!
Old 05-04-2005, 11:45 AM

yeah im lazy and forgot that you mentioned you were firing into the cabin...my bad. anyway, have you heard a system thats not sealed off? also if you are going for the best possible sq why are you going ported?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:07 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by slickrick
yeah im lazy and forgot that you mentioned you were firing into the cabin...my bad. anyway, have you heard a system thats not sealed off? also if you are going for the best possible sq why are you going ported?
Yeah, if you're going for SQ, seal that $hit.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:08 PM

According to specs for their subwoofer, the Focal Utopia is recommended for a ported enclosure. I looked at the manual while at the shop; the model is the Utopia 27 WX. This was also the recommendation of the shop according to the application, direction, placement and amplification (PPI 2600.2, "bridged" 600 w amplifier)

Here is link to specs...

http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/car/utopia/27wx.htm

can't find manual online for some reason. Darn French! Oh and I have to convert everything from metric which will make finding a port a pain. Anyone live in Canada that can ship me a PVC tube specced to the proper port size?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:39 PM

Found the manual,

http://www.focal-fr.com/gb/instal/im...butopia_gb.pdf

My last 2 sub boxes were sealed. I had a 15" Crossfire P115 and then a 15" Eclipse Aluminum SW8152. I like sealed boxes but as I mentioned before, all recommendations from Focal and shop were to use ported. Oh, I guess both 15's listed above are for sale now. Let me know if you're interested...
Old 05-04-2005, 12:41 PM

cant argue with techs...i have my own 15 ported.