Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

I was thinking, and isn't it hard to correctly wire a 4 channel amp into a 5th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 06:08 PM

I was thinking, and isn't it hard to correctly wire a 4 channel amp into a 5th gen?

Hey all. Everything I ordered for my system arrived a few days ago, but I couldn't do any work because of the crappy weather (rain). So in that time, I was able to sit around and plan out the way I will go about wiring my 4 channel amp to the 4 infinity speakers I have in my door panels, and frankly, it seems really tedious...

Well, when I mean wiring the 4 channel system correctly, in essence I pretty much mean having the speaker wires on the opposite side of the power wires. But then it hit me, that its inevitable, because of the speakers in the doorpanel...

For example, I have 2 hi to low converters - each with bare leads to seperate the front and rear channels and also the left and right for each channel. Now, inorder to do this correctly, I have to tap into the stock wiring from each speaker, and rewire back to the hi to low converter, and also try to do this away from the power wire side of the vehicle (drivers side), and route the wires under the carpetting... Then I have to take the wire outputs from the amplifer to each speaker and try to avoid wiring alongside the power wire side... Isn't that alot of wiring? Is there some easy trick that I am totally not seeing?

Help, because this seems really hard to do from the way I vision it... There has to be a simple way of routing wires and doing all this.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:59 PM

You can use one Hi low adaptor and get RCA Y-Plugs. That way you would only have to tap into one set of speakers. Besides that you have everything else well planned out. Take your time and do it right the first time. The wiring may seem complicated but once you start doing it it'll become a lot easier. Just remember to properly fuse the amp wire and get a good solid ground by scaping away some if the paint on the spot were your gonna ground it. The
Old 05-01-2005, 07:06 PM

I'm still new to the whole maxima thing, but it sounds like you have the same bose setup that I do {I35}, so I'm assuming you have the external amp in the back. If this is the case, just do all the wiring there. You can even run speaker wire from the amp to the existing wires that already run back to the speakers. You also don't HAVE to run the power lines away from the RCA, or speaker wire, it's just a good idea if you're wiring the whole car up anyways. Bottom line, if you don't want to do all the work, you just have to settle on a less superior install [this doesn't mean it will sound bad, but if it does pick up noise, etc. . . I would start there as a possible problem.

If I'm wrong about having a bose amp in the back, then, yes, you will pretty much have to run the RCA's from the converter by the head unit all the way to the amp, and then speaker wire, either a) to each speaker, or b) back to the head unit and through the wires you spliced for the converters [see above for possible repercussions].

dh
Old 05-01-2005, 07:34 PM

Damn, no bose, but it seems like it'd make life easier hehe.

Well, I'm gonna do it nice and slowly, solder each connection and splice, and take my time with it. I just want to hear this system when it's done... I can't wait!!
Old 05-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Yes, this may be a bit more involved than what you intially thought, but if you take your time and do a thorough job, the install will turn out good. I have two amps (2 channel for subs & 4 channel for door speakers) and yes, it is a lot of wiring, but it turned out nice. Another detail is where you plan on mounting the amplifier. If you pull the seats and carpet, you may be able to run the power wire closer to the center of the car and run the speaker wires in another location. I will just suggest finding a good location for the ground for the amp and grind off the painted surface like jigga123 mentioned.

Good luck with your install and if you have any questions or need help, just bump this thread, and I'm sure others will be able to help out any way we can.