Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Help please, problem with highs....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2001, 05:54 PM

whats up guys, well i just purchased some pioneer 6 1/2's for the front and 6x9's for the back and a 600 lazar vibe amp. I installed it and it SOUNDED GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but....... one little problem. I get a awful whine when i start the engine. I tried almost everything, i got so ticked that i uninstalled everything and reinstalled just to make sure i didnt do anything wrong. I have the power wire running on the right side of the car and the rca's on the left side. But, with the rca's i also have the power to the Cd changer. Does it make a difference or not? i mean should i whine with the Cd changer power even when the Cd changer is off? ANNNNYYYYYYY help would be greattttttly appreciated......i love the sound.....but if i cant get rid of the whine....i will just take it all back....thanks
Old 05-12-2001, 09:13 PM

Wacked..!!!...

I hate that. I got a whining noise (is yours from the speakers when the volume is low?). I redid the RCA's with some gold plated ones and rewired the path. I had them extended with another RCA and it made the noise.

It sux. Just play with the way you have the wires ran. Try a different route.

Trial and error sometimes.

By the way, 420 is dig.
Old 05-13-2001, 06:17 AM

Re: Wacked..!!!...

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
I hate that. I got a whining noise (is yours from the speakers when the volume is low?). I redid the RCA's with some gold plated ones and rewired the path. I had them extended with another RCA and it made the noise.

It sux. Just play with the way you have the wires ran. Try a different route.

Trial and error sometimes.

By the way, 420 is dig.
Thanks a lot, I was wondering if a weak ground contributes to the whining? Or is it because I have the RCA's next to the Cd changer power ? ah hope something works =) thanks
Old 05-13-2001, 07:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Try disconnecting the CD changer's power cable at the source to see if the problem goes away. If not, then it's something else.
Old 05-13-2001, 10:10 AM

I have that problem too, it goes away for a while and then it will come back. I dont have the whine when I turn on the engine, just when I accelerate. But with the volume at at a regular level, I dont really notice it.

All the above posts are right on target. Car Audio is all about trial and error. I found that on my car the whine was coming from crossing wires behind the dash. I do what I can to separate as best I can, but with time, they seem to always cluster themselves back together. Its hard when you have an EQ and 4 sets of RCAs to worry about. Whenever I go back there and separate them, I lose the whine.

Good Luck
Old 05-13-2001, 10:29 AM

Thanks a lot for all the help, hope to correct this problem before I return all the goodies,
Old 05-18-2001, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by MAX420
Thanks a lot for all the help, hope to correct this problem before I return all the goodies,
You might also want to check your ground... make sure the ground cable is as short as possible, the same or thicker than your power wire, and there is bare metal contact.

Finally, you can shield the rca cables... anybody try copper tape or aluminum foil?
Old 05-18-2001, 04:26 PM

yea like these guys said. probably the ground. And if that doesnt work it might be your alternator... you might be using to much power for the alternator? i think thats wht ive heard, someone else can probably help me out on that.
Old 05-18-2001, 05:39 PM

whats up guys, well i just purchased some pioneer 6 1/2's for the front and 6x9's for the back and a 600 lazar vibe amp. I installed it and it SOUNDED GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but....... one little problem. I get a awful whine when i start the engine. I tried almost everything, i got so ticked that i uninstalled everything and reinstalled just to make sure i didnt do anything wrong. I have the power wire running on the right side of the car and the rca's on the left side. But, with the rca's i also have the power to the Cd changer. Does it make a difference or not? i mean should i whine with the Cd changer power even when the Cd changer is off? ANNNNYYYYYYY help would be greattttttly appreciated......i love the sound.....but if i cant get rid of the whine....i will just take it all back....thanks
try to disconnect ur cd changer and drive around to test ur system...if it goes away then u found ur problem...if it don't then take ur rca out and just let it lay exposed from ur radio to ur amp...drive around again to see if it goes away...if it does then that's ur problem...mite want to upgrade to better rca...third thing i could think of is ur ground...make it short as possible...make sure it's good contact....mite be the amp itself...i doubt it would be ur alternator tho...
Old 05-18-2001, 07:34 PM
jmax

I agree with our yellow brother above. Personally I would start with the ground contact and wiring. Then try the CD changer wire and last the RCA's. Unless you have pretty basic RCA's, in which case I might start with them. My head unit has no built in amp so all of my power comes from the amps. No alternator whine. And that one little amp will not max out your alternator if it is wired properly.

Old 05-19-2001, 01:28 AM

Power and RCAs should always be run seperately and away from each other. You should rerun the cd changer power cable to the other side of the car like the others for the amps... That should fix it. Other possibilities: are shotty (bad quality) RCAs which are not properly shielded, or even your alternator running at the same frequency as your amplifier... That is really rare, but I have seen it. If you do all of the above mentioned in the thread, and still have no luck (wow), I would run out and pick up a "Ground Isolator" for my RCAs. Really easy to hook up. Usually they have a ground connection, and you run your RCAs thru it. Does miracles, even if your wiring sucks...

All the other posts here are good, especially the bad ground concern... Make sure you have gotten rid of all the paint on the car's metal, and dont run that ground off of a third generation point. (Like metal, on metal, welded to more and more metal peices... Choose a "base" point to ground to...)
Old 05-19-2001, 08:45 AM

is the whine coming from all the speakers? does it get louder when u acclerate? i had a problem with that whine its a pain mine wound up being a bad channel on the amp after ripping out everything and reinstalling it 3 times
Old 05-19-2001, 07:27 PM

I Thank all of you for posting to the thread. I finally found out what the problem was, it was a messed up amp out from my deck, well since the warranty ran out, i made rca jacks for the amp through the front speaker wires, Runs great and everything is the way it should be, no whining, no mumbling from the subs.....Thanx again