Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Help with Summer Setup (I'm replacing something!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 05:03 AM
Hit 'em with the stun gun

Help with Summer Setup (I'm replacing something!)

What's up guys? I've read more threads and done more searching, but I have yet to find a suitable answer to my question. Here's my dilemma. I don't have enough money for the entire system I want, so I'm going to do half of it now, and half later. I want subs for bass. I'm looking for SQ, and a bit of SPL. <- That's also the reason I want to replace the stock crapunit and all. These are my options.

Option #1: Replace stock Bose HU with Microvision 7" LCD, Eclipse 8445 or Pioneer 5000MP (just for the dvd playing, since I don't want to mount a sep. player), get a set of CDT comps. IIRC, the 8445 has a simple Navi built-in right? If I hooked that up to the screen, will the picture show up on the Microvision?

Option #2: Hit up AA while their sale is still on and either get 2 Atlas !2s, or 1 Avalanche 12. I'd like it to go into a custom enclosure like SlamdMax has (probably a bit smaller, but I want something flush and factory looking). And of course a nice amp.

It may be a lot to read, but it's even more to think about. Hence the reason for my post. Thanks in advance for the help!

SlamdMax98:
Old 05-11-2005, 06:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

As for option 1, Ditch the Microvision and get the Eclipse AVN 5435. Built in everything. No need to wire in an extra screen. The CDT's are a very good sounding budget driver. I have always enjoyed listening to them. Def a good choice.

As for option 2, If you are concerned with loosing trunk space I would stick with a single driver for sub bass. A pair of 12's in a properly built ported enclosure will take a good portion a usable space. If you wanted to build a sealed box, then a pair of 12's would fit nicely. As far as AA, I have no experience with them. Sorry I can't help you there.

I LOVE SlamdMax98's setup. I think that those JL's are starved for airspace though. I have had 3 12's in a sealed enclosure flushed out like that. My current pair of 12's are much louder b/c they have room to breath. Just my experience though.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:57 AM

I'd love to have the AVN, but it's a bit out of my price range considering it's >1g. Being a broke college student, I'm short on money, but I'd like to have a great sounding system for like $1500 or less. If I could get one or two 12s to sit in a custom enclosure in the back of my trunk, I'd be happy.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:36 AM

whats man im new to the site but a veteran when it comes to stereos. i have an eclipse unit but its the AV8533 1-din unit. i love it man. its got 5.1 dolby digital prologic II surround sound, a TFT touch screen center channle control and many more options. right now the AVN top end unit is about 1800 i belive. great unit and the only one i would reccomend.

as far as subs i have some audiobahn 12in alum Q's i am selling if you would be interested in those. let me know

PEACE
Old 05-11-2005, 09:36 AM

I should have asked this earlier. What kind of music do you listen to? This will help in choosing the size driver as well as type of enclosure. I think you can acheive your goal with your budget. I do recommend an Eclipse HU. High Voltage pre-outs own. The 8445 is a good choice for this application and budget.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:48 AM

hmm... I am a bit lost but i assume everything audio in your car is stock. if thats the case i say go with some AA subs and some CDT componenents or something compareable to them. one ava 12 is amazing for the price its at right now. although id port the ava 12 just because it will still sound good and need only like 2cubes ported.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:21 PM

I would definatly figure out how much space ur willing to lose b4 deciding on # of subs. If u go with a sealed enclosure u will probably not have to sacrifice much space and have 2 subs, but since ur on a tight budget...i would go with 1 AVA 12, and put it n a 2-2.5^ft vented enclosure. I have always like having a single sub system, that hits as hard as a pair of 12's. I have to agree with filtor about the JL setup. That setup looks like it could use another 2-3^ft of enclosure space, from personal experience JL's r great subs and get VERY low, but u need a ported enclosure for them to shine. CDT's r great speakers. I just got a 3-way comp up front and a 2-way comp n the rear powered by a JL 450/4 (150x2 & 75x2)...I would definatly recommend this amp to anyone who is running nice speakers n the f & r.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:01 PM

NissanMan: I was looking for something to fill up the entire space that the doubleDIN Bose unit took up. I'll look into the Eclipse you suggested though. Thanks.

Filtor: I listen to mostly rap and hip hop. Every now and then I'll throw in some rock, but that's rare.

SlickRick: Yeah, everything is stock Bose right now. Can I install the subs and components running off of the stock HU? Well, is it recommended?

96Max: I'd like to have some trunk space left, especially since I'll be moving to and from skool every year. I'd definitely like it to hit low, so I probably would get it ported. If I went with two subs and did an enclosure like SlamdMax, could I do a couple ports in the middle, instead of the 3rd sub, and have it sound as good as a regular ported box? I really haven't made up my mind yet, more than anything because I don't know where to start.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:03 PM

i highly recommend getting an aftermarket h/u for any kind of audio upgrades.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
i highly recommend getting an aftermarket h/u for any kind of audio upgrades.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. In that case should I go with Option #1? Like I said, SQ is the most important thing.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:18 PM

whats your budget for everything in case i missed it?
Old 05-11-2005, 07:35 PM

whats your budget for everything in case i missed it?
I'd like to spend about $1500 for everything, but I would like to do some of the system now and the rest later just because I don't have that money to spare.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:20 PM

You r probably gonna need at least 2^ft per sub. You have to also figure n the sub that will be taking up space inside the box...which is probably gonna b around .5^ft. Ur also gonna have to figure where ur gonna put ur amp, which needs to b n a spot where it gets good ventalation. Since ur on a $1500 budget, i would maybe only buy one sub now, a nice H/U (something u don't really wanna go cheap on), and a nice amp that you can power 2 AVAs with just incase u decide to get a 2nd sub. You also gotta figure n ur budget a good wiring kit, good RCAs, a enclosure, and plenty of sound deadener. It sucks to work on a budget, i know, but its better to buy things that ur gonna b pleased with for a while...than trying to get a whole system with $1500. My advice is just don't go cheap just so u can get everything...stick with the Avalanche, but plan out everything else carefully. And if u need some advice, you know where to come. I'm sure everyone on here...including myself...likes to help fellow .org members out, its easy for us to keep people from making the same mistakes we all have made.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by '96MaxGLE
It sucks to work on a budget, i know, but its better to buy things that ur gonna b pleased with for a while...than trying to get a whole system with $1500. My advice is just don't go cheap just so u can get everything...stick with the Avalanche, but plan out everything else carefully.
I was thinking that too. I was worried about putting too much money into a system while the car is here up at skool. But fuhgedabowdit. I'm just going to start off with a nice HU probably and maybe subs...we'll see Thanks guys!

EDIT: What kinda amp would power 2 avas? A nice Hifonics Brutus or something?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:33 PM

well sub displacement is nowhere near .5...its not even .5cuft for 2 avalanche 12's. 2 cubes ported is fine for an ava 12.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:08 PM

Well i wasn't trying to be exact. I know the interior displacement for my 12" H2 is .39, and i think the XXX is pretty close to that if not a little more. I figured since the AVA uses the same XBl^2 motor structure i was thinking it would b close to the same as the XXX. BTW Slickrick...r there any pics on the .org of ur setup, i sure would like to c some.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:16 PM

just as a reference .39 is HUGE for displacement on a 12" speaker.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/gator68/avalanc...%20pic%201.JPG
thats my 15.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:41 PM

Yea it is large especially 4 a 12", but the basket structure on the H2 is a lot different than most subs. Awesome setup...i wish i had room to fit a 15" under my rear deack n my 4th gen, i guess i could but would have to lose the torsion bars.

here's a pic of the H2
http://www.orioncaraudio.com/subwoof...H2_series.asp#
Old 05-11-2005, 11:47 PM

trust me there is room. thanks i really like the setup...its fairly clean looking but gets the job done.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:05 AM

trust me there is room. thanks i really like the setup...its fairly clean looking but gets the job done.
When I looked at it before, it didn't seem like there was enough room, because of the trunk release (?) bar or w/e. If they weren't there and the trunk was still level in back, I think it could work. But as it is, it definitely doesn't look like there's enough room under the rear deck.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:24 PM

I think i had about 14 3/4" - 15" under the torsion bars n the trunk. I've been wanting to just cut mine out, but didn't know what it might affect when the trunk is open. They still sit on top of my box when my trunk is open.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:10 AM

mainsouce: i know what you mean about the double-din i wanted to go that route but i had already bought the indash when i had my probe(yea i owned a probe) and i couldnt sell it so i was like what the hell i'll put it in and if anyone gives me **** i'll just be like "you gotta tv in your car, no. then shut up". remember eclipse **** aint cheap. i paid close to 2400 when i bought it but that was august last year when the pice was fairly new. as far as the rest of there stuff i can get pretty good prices let me know if i can help

as for speakes and subs. i suggest DA(diamond audio) there new TDX's are amazing the sport only a 9oz magnet but it pulls with a force of over 9000lbs plus the rest of there speakers are great thats what i am going with for my stereo upgrade once i get somemore power to the ground

PEACE