Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Project PS2

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 08:44 AM

Project PS2

I'm thinking of putting a PS2 (the slim ones since they run with 12v ) in the center armrest of my 4th gen Max, and hook it up to a microvision display, but I have no Idea if I'll have to cut out any bottom portion of the armrest out (if I do I'll probably trash the project unless I can get it replaced if I decide to sell). I'd also need a new stereo since i'll be putting the display where the OEM radio is, but since PS2 reproduces DVD and modded PS2 can reproduce AVI and VCD with a bootdisk (which I have but dunno if it will work for the slim one) I'll kill 2 birds with 1 stone and only need a CD/MP3 headset, anyways here is what i have planned out so far (I'm still in the planning fase)

Note: This is assuming it actually fits, cuz I have the fat PS2

Slim PS2 dimensions =
1.1 inches tall by 23 inches wide by 6 inches deep
230 x 28 x 152 mm

Setup:
2 wireless controls hooked to the PS2 (PS2 OEM controller 4 sale )
some rewireing of the power switch on the back (cuz having to lift the PS2 to turn it on/off would seem really stupid) and place it on one of the unused panels (the one oposite to the alarm led)
2 displays on the headrests (if i could figure out a decent way to place them on the leather headrests and make 'em look decent, if anyone knows lemme know)

The PS2 would be under the armrest, and it would open vertically (there shouldn't be any prob with that I think) you'd have to open the armrest to open the PS2 (that way it could be concealed easily!) and it would need some clearance from the bottom so that air can get to the fans (if it has any...not sure).

If anyone has tried anything similar or have any suggestions PM me
Old 05-23-2005, 11:29 AM

well i havent done the ps2 but i just put an xbox in the car using a microvision screen i relocated the power button and the eject buttons into the center console and left the xbox in the trunk theres not much room under the armret it self so cutting it out and sinking in the ps2 wouldnt be such a good idea i was going to get a ps2 for my car but theres sooooo many more options iwht xbox right now ihave mine, networked with my pc so i can send it files. but yea go for it man its a fun project obtw u kno that the top on the new ps2 flips up right?
Old 05-24-2005, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Happy
well i havent done the ps2 but i just put an xbox in the car using a microvision screen i relocated the power button and the eject buttons into the center console and left the xbox in the trunk theres not much room under the armret it self so cutting it out and sinking in the ps2 wouldnt be such a good idea i was going to get a ps2 for my car but theres sooooo many more options iwht xbox right now ihave mine, networked with my pc so i can send it files. but yea go for it man its a fun project obtw u kno that the top on the new ps2 flips up right?
erm...no i did not know that (back to the drawing board...)

-Dex.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:54 PM

LOL go xbox man i wanted to go wiht a ps2 but theres soooo many more possibilities with xbox
Old 05-24-2005, 03:41 PM

Happy, do you have any pics or writesups on what you've done with the xbox? I'm thinking of doin something similar.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can put the PS2 slim into the glove box instead. Other members have done this and it should fit. Good luck and let us know how it worked out for you.